10 questions that every intelligent Christian must answer

Moderator: Brian

Re: 10 questions that every intelligent Christian must answer

Postby Nada » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:53 pm

1) Why wont God heal amputees?
Wow. I don't know.

2) Why are there so many starving people in the world?
Um..I don't know.

3) Why does God demand the death of so many innocent people in the Bible?
(People who work on the wrong day of the week, women who are not virgins when they marry...)
Again, I am drawing a blank here.

4) Why does the Bible contain so much anti-scientific nonsense?
I reject this question because it presupposes that there is "anti-scientific nonsense" in the Bible. The examples given are still in dispute.

5) Why is God such a huge proponent of slavery in the Bible?
God is not a proponent of slavery. The stories pertaining to slavery are descriptions of what life was like inancient times, not instructions to enslave people.

6) Why do bad things happen to good people?
We could say that - either the "good people" are not all that "good" OR there is a lesson to be learned.

7) Why didn't Jesus' miracles in the Bible leave behind any evidence?
Miracles usually don't leave behind "evidence." If Jesus / God cures your cancer, the evidence is your health. If your cancer is cured with chemo, the evidence is your health along with the remnants of toxic chemicals in your body.

8) How do we explain the fact that Jesus has never appeared to you?
Has your great great great great great grandmother appeared to you?
No. But she did exist. What's the point of this question.

9) Why would Jesus want you to eat his body and drink his blood?
This IS odd.

10) Why do Christians get divorced at the same rate as non-Christians?
Misapplication of Christian principles. People have free-will and they are fallable.

Some of these concepts are man made beliefs about Gods will.


But I get it..Unfortunately, I see what the person who made this video is trying to say. :(
Nada
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:55 pm

Re: 10 questions that every intelligent Christian must answer

Postby Nada » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:55 pm

Brian wrote:Hi, Frank.

I think the person who made this video is making a critical mistake about religion: They're assuming that rationality and logic apply to faith. It doesn't.

My (ex-)girlfriend and I have these kinds of discussions all the time. She's a Ph.D and a Christian, so she's the kind of person this video is talking about. These are the kinds of answers she would give.

Any intelligent Christian knows that God didn't directly create the Bible. It was written by human beings. That's why it's got such barbaric things in it.

As far as why God doesn't heal amputees: The human body can't regenerate limbs. We're not geckos. If there's no biological way for a healing to happen, it doesn't happen. "Miracle" doesn't necessarily mean it's something that can't happen naturally. It just means it's something that's very rare naturally.


I liked the rest of your responses, but this one is utter bullshit. Remember Jesus turning water into wine? Well, Water doesn't EVER do that. How about Jesus feeding thousands of people with just one fish?
Nada
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:55 pm

Re: 10 questions that every intelligent Christian must answer

Postby Cynicalninja » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:57 pm

When religious people start going on about "the will of God" and "God works in mysterious ways" I call BS immediately, why don't they just say what they mean, I.E - "I don't know".

I have more respect for religious people who just say "I don't know" than religious people that say "I've spoken to God personally and I know for a fact "he" works in mysterious ways, I know this for a fact it is undeniable and you are going straight to hell if you don't agree with me, God has told me this".
Space to let for non-antagonistic signature.
User avatar
Cynicalninja
 
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:35 am
Location: England's green and pleasant land.

Re: 10 questions that every intelligent Christian must answer

Postby Nada » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:59 pm

This is why I answered "I don't know." to some of those questions.
Nada
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:55 pm

Re: 10 questions that every intelligent Christian must answer

Postby Brian » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:03 pm

24HourNut wrote:
Brian wrote:I would imagine that Gator knows the theological answers to the questions in the video.


I guess I am saying that I believe intellectual Christians, like Gator, would give the same kind of answers to the amputee people not having prayers answered that the video suggests they would, even though the amputees might be nicer, more religious, and have received more prayer help than those with the "miracle" cures for their diseases and such.


That's where I think you're wrong. I think that serious Christians would be able to answer those questions (even if they didn't answer them to your or my satisfaction). I was recently in a Bible study with such serious people. (Long story. Let's just say there's a female involved. :mrgreen: ) Those are the kinds of questions that people wrestle with every day. I doubt you could even graduate from Catholic high school without understanding the theological implications of those questions.

Think about it. Do you really think all Christians, for the past 2000 years, have been deaf, dumb, and blind? You'd have to be blindfolded and living several hundred feet underground for the past 2000 years for these questions never to have occurred to you. And a theology that couldn't answer these questions wouldn't have survived. (How're the Heaven's Gate people doing nowadays?)
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
User avatar
Brian
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1913
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: 10 questions that every intelligent Christian must answer

Postby Nada » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:06 pm

I went to Catholic School...a good one too. We never discussed the hard questions. We weren't encouraged to ask.

In fact, if you attend church and you ask these types of questions and don't accept the first "Gawd works in mysterious ways" answer, you are deemed to be "ye of little faith."

Just like the questions about mysogyny. DO NOT ASK. It is the will of the Lord.

The theology survived the way they all do: By indoctrinating the young.

Before we are ever logical, we are believers. We sat at our parents' feet and believed. No matter how educated we become later in life, we can't turn away from our core beliefs in times of crisis. That's what's real.

Just being honest.
Nada
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:55 pm

Re: 10 questions that every intelligent Christian must answer

Postby Brian » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:25 pm

Nada wrote:I went to Catholic School...a good one too. We never discussed the hard questions. We weren't encouraged to ask.

In fact, if you attend church and you ask these types of questions and don't accept the first "Gawd works in mysterious ways" answer, you are deemed to be "ye of little faith."

Just like the questions about mysogyny. DO NOT ASK. It is the will of the Lord.

The theology survived the way they all do: By indoctrinating the young.

Before we are ever logical, we are believers. We sat at our parents' feet and believed. No matter how educated we become later in life, we can't turn away from our core beliefs in times of crisis. That's what's real.

Just being honest.


I appreciate your honesty, Nada. I have to say, my experience with Christianity was very different.

The kinds of answers I would get in high school would normally make sense, in the context of Catholic theology. The really tough (i.e., essentially unanswerable) questions would get "That's one of life's mysteries", or "We'll find out in Heaven". There's nowhere to really go after that, so it never got particularly confrontational. But those kinds of questions were generally much harder than "Why doesn't God heal amputees?" I renounced my faith not because people were stonewalling me, but because the answers they did supply to the tough questions weren't to my liking. In particular, no one could give me a good answer to, "Why does God have to do anything?" A lot of Judeo-Christian theology seems to hinge upon the idea that "because A happened, we're stuck with B". That seems like Grade A nonsense to me. God, if he's omnipotent, didn't have to make any B a consequence of any A.

That's the kind of question that usually gets the blank stares, and the "one of life's mysteries" response. The amputee question is kids' stuff, in comparison.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
User avatar
Brian
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1913
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: 10 questions that every intelligent Christian must answer

Postby Cynicalninja » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:36 pm

Early indoctrination is key, never underestimate how powerful the idea of hell is to a child.

I never had that at home, the only religious things I have done is be Christened (which I had very little say in to be honest), sang hymns in school up until the age of about 11, learnt about Christianity along with all the other faiths in religious studies, and attended Methodist and C of E churches for weddings and funerals and that's it.

Religion was never an issue for me in life if you had asked me as a younger man about the existence of God I probably would have said "he probably exists yeah you'll have to excuse me I'm very busy earning a wage and enjoying my spare time as much as possible", until one day I found my grandad's bible that he carried with him throughout WW2, I read it and thought "good story, clearly a work of fiction though" and that was it, Atheist.
Space to let for non-antagonistic signature.
User avatar
Cynicalninja
 
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:35 am
Location: England's green and pleasant land.

Re: 10 questions that every intelligent Christian must answer

Postby 24HourNut » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:07 pm

Brian wrote:
24HourNut wrote:
Brian wrote:I would imagine that Gator knows the theological answers to the questions in the video.


I guess I am saying that I believe intellectual Christians, like Gator, would give the same kind of answers to the amputee people not having prayers answered that the video suggests they would, even though the amputees might be nicer, more religious, and have received more prayer help than those with the "miracle" cures for their diseases and such.


That's where I think you're wrong. I think that serious Christians would be able to answer those questions (even if they didn't answer them to your or my satisfaction).


I disagree - I've read and debated many serious intellectual Christians and they always give some form of BS answer the video indicated they would. Watch.

Gator - why won't God heal ANY starving Christian child amputees that are very religious, kind, and have more Christians praying for their return to normalcy when he apparently casts supernaturally healing miracles upon others with far less praying going on?
User avatar
24HourNut
Contributor
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:39 pm

Re: 10 questions that every intelligent Christian must answer

Postby Brian » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:23 pm

Nada wrote:
Brian wrote:Hi, Frank.

I think the person who made this video is making a critical mistake about religion: They're assuming that rationality and logic apply to faith. It doesn't.

My (ex-)girlfriend and I have these kinds of discussions all the time. She's a Ph.D and a Christian, so she's the kind of person this video is talking about. These are the kinds of answers she would give.

Any intelligent Christian knows that God didn't directly create the Bible. It was written by human beings. That's why it's got such barbaric things in it.

As far as why God doesn't heal amputees: The human body can't regenerate limbs. We're not geckos. If there's no biological way for a healing to happen, it doesn't happen. "Miracle" doesn't necessarily mean it's something that can't happen naturally. It just means it's something that's very rare naturally.


I liked the rest of your responses, but this one is utter bullshit. Remember Jesus turning water into wine? Well, Water doesn't EVER do that. How about Jesus feeding thousands of people with just one fish?


First, keep in mind that I don't personally buy any of this. Having said that, there's a difference between Jesus doing something and a faith healer doing it in his name. Nobody complains when prayers don't raise the dead. No one expects to be able to pray to walk on water. Just because Jesus performs a miracle doesn't mean that anyone who prays to him will be able to do it. (And in fact, Jesus isn't ever depicted as healing amputees. He's depicted healing the "lame", but presumably these people had injuries that didn't involve loss of limbs.)
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
User avatar
Brian
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1913
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:02 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Philosophy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron