Proving God doesn't exist in 3 minutes

Moderator: Brian

Re: Proving God doesn't exist in 3 minutes

Postby Cynicalninja » Fri May 28, 2010 1:34 pm

He raises a very important point, what moral statement or action could a believer put forward or take that a non-believer couldn't put forward or take?

Also when you ask the question "can you think if any examples where a religious person committed evil acts because of their religion?" you can think of countless examples.
Space to let for non-antagonistic signature.
Cynicalninja

Postby Millennium » Fri May 28, 2010 4:33 pm

Atheism and agnosticism is on the increase year by year, it's as inevitable as the renaissance or the industrial revolution.

So is crime, hedonism, adultery, theft, corrupt morals..etc...I see a link. :thumbleft:
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Millennium » Fri May 28, 2010 4:39 pm

Cynicalninja wrote:He raises a very important point, what moral statement or action could a believer put forward or take that a non-believer couldn't put forward or take?

Also when you ask the question "can you think if any examples where a religious person committed evil acts because of their religion?" you can think of countless examples.

While you're thinking of that, try how many people confess to be Christians, abut in the long haul are just fakers?...They use religion like Frank does, as a means to an end..They are not real Christians, but a users and enablers that takes advantage of others, claiming to be Christian, when In fact they are not. Anyone can sit in a church and pretend to be a christian....those that do it, for power, money or some other means are not true Christians.
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Cynicalninja » Fri May 28, 2010 4:42 pm

Millennium wrote:
Atheism and agnosticism is on the increase year by year, it's as inevitable as the renaissance or the industrial revolution.

So is crime, hedonism, adultery, theft, corrupt morals..etc...I see a link. :thumbleft:

Balls.

Those things have always been there and always will be, religion it not the solution to any of those problems, problems that have always been and will always be with us.

Religion has done such an excellent job in the past, history is littered with carefree days of absolute morality, safety and freedom.

According to your logic the European dark ages of fundamentalism and religious oppression must have been the greatest days in history, what with all the morality and 100% religious faith that was around at the time, yes? After all the more religion you have in society that better that society is, yes?
Cynicalninja

Postby Cynicalninja » Fri May 28, 2010 4:47 pm

Millennium wrote:
Cynicalninja wrote:He raises a very important point, what moral statement or action could a believer put forward or take that a non-believer couldn't put forward or take?

While you're thinking of that, try how many people confess to be Christians, abut in the long haul are just fakers?...They use religion like Frank does, as a means to an end..They are not real Christians, but a users and enablers that takes advantage of others, claiming to be Christian, when In fact they are not. Anyone can sit in a church and pretend to be a christian....those that do it, for power, money or some other means are not true Christians.

Please don't try and pull that "anyone who does evil in the name of religion obviously isn't a true believer in that religion" BS on me, I don't buy into it for a second.

Religion has caused more suffering, pain and death through the ages than anything else.
Cynicalninja

Postby Millennium » Fri May 28, 2010 4:54 pm

Cynicalninja wrote:
Millennium wrote:

Please don't try and pull that "anyone who does evil in the name of religion obviously isn't a true believer in that religion" BS on me, I don't buy into it for a second.

Religion has caused more suffering, pain and death through the ages than anything else.

I can see why you don't want that used...it files in the face of all your assumptions. Religion has also saved many lives, assisted many people and carried many people through some dark times. That fact is, every professed Christian, isn't a Christian...Too bad, that's the truth, like it or not.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Millennium » Fri May 28, 2010 5:03 pm

Cynicalninja wrote:
Millennium wrote:

Balls.

Those things have always been there and always will be, religion it not the solution to any of those problems, problems that have always been and will always be with us.

Religion has done such an excellent job in the past, history is littered with carefree days of absolute morality, safety and freedom.

According to your logic the European dark ages of fundamentalism and religious oppression must have been the greatest days in history, what with all the morality and 100% religious faith that was around at the time, yes? After all the more religion you have in society that better that society is, yes?

Try to twist it around now....you're in trouble and losing this argument. Not one person on the face of this Earth right now would say the dark ages were the best of times, Back then as it is now, there were those that weren't followers. religion back then then is as it is now, you had people taking advantage of the "religion" theme to gain power and wealth, those were not true Christians, they were only in name....But you and your fellow athiests love to lump them all together...

Let's do this.....I'll say that all criminals are agnostics and atheists, while they are committing crimes...only until they get caught, do they try the "religion' method of redemption...I just don't see many thiefs, crooks, drug users etc, praying before they do thier deeds....

Does that make all atheists and agnostics criminal? I guess it does ,since by your thinking ,all religions and religious people are corrupt and evil because of thousands of years of corrupt individuals getting into the religion game for power and profit.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Cynicalninja » Fri May 28, 2010 5:13 pm

I am in no danger of "losing" this argument if you keep misquoting me and putting words in my mouth.

Go back to what I actually posted and read it again, let it slosh around your noggin for a while then come back with something that actually makes sense and progresses the debate.
Cynicalninja

Postby mariej » Fri May 28, 2010 5:16 pm

Looking throughout history, I would say that religion has caused more evil than good and the world may have been a better place without it. I don't think the absence of religion would change human nature, but it sure has its share in fueling the fire.
mariej

Postby mariej » Fri May 28, 2010 6:07 pm

Anyone that needs a religion to teach them morals and compassion towards others, or even worse.... anyone that uses religion to justify their lack of morals and compassion towards others (which has been demonstrated throughout history) needs to be in jail or locked up in a mental institution.
mariej

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Philosophy