[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
24hourforums.com • View topic - Will we instantly know God exists when we die?

Will we instantly know God exists when we die?

Moderator: Brian

Will we instantly know God exists when we die?

Postby sirlamre » Fri May 14, 2010 10:35 pm

sirlamre

Re: Will we instantly know God exists when we die?

Postby Brian » Fri May 14, 2010 11:13 pm

Maybe I misunderstand the nature of your objection, but I would think that the fact that you were still conscious after death would be proof positive of an afterlife, by definition. :scratch:

There's an episode of "Married...With Children" where Al goes to "Heaven" and mistakes a dead shoe salesman for God. I think there's a possibility of something like that, where you wouldn't necessarily be able to [b]identify[/i] God, but that's hard for me to picture, if God turned out to be anything like the all-encompassing, awesome presence he's advertised as.

As for entering Heaven still having sins and flaws, that's consistent with the Judaic tradition, but not with Christianity. The concept makes Jesus' being impaled on the cross no more significant than a really bad nailgun accident. That's why Christians can't accept the idea. It's completely incompatible with Christianity of any stripe that I'm aware of.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby sirlamre » Sat May 15, 2010 4:30 pm

sirlamre

Postby Brian » Sat May 15, 2010 5:23 pm

Brian
Site Admin

Postby sirlamre » Sun May 16, 2010 12:02 am

Well, I think the primary difference would be between knowing that "someone" is in charge, versus the "Christian" God
(not that I think theres such a distinction about God, but most Christians do)

And you'd be surprised how many Christians DO think that God is going to make them "perfect" when they get to heaven -- never mind all the ramifications of having every single facet of our emotional/personality/ego-self-confidence
stripped utterly away if it's even slightly "imperfect"

Yes- for Christians, they certainly expect to find out whether God exists--

Originally, I thought you'd said that "everyone" would find out when they die ---
My point was more along the lines of what happens when someone who DOES believe in an afterlife, yet doesn't subscribe to the Christian perceptions of what God is.

ie -- they believe in a Creator - and yet, simply assume that the Creator is supplying the endless amount of animals in the great hunting ground, and otherwise is just as abstract and not "real and in their face" as their Creator was on earth...
sirlamre

Postby Brian » Sun May 16, 2010 1:37 am

Brian
Site Admin

Postby 24HourNut » Sun May 16, 2010 10:19 am

24HourNut
Contributor

Postby Brian » Sun May 16, 2010 12:13 pm

Brian
Site Admin

Postby Marie5656 » Sun May 16, 2010 1:11 pm

I think much depends on your belief system before death. If your beliefs are strong, then it stands to reason that you already know God exists, and will see him when you die. For non believers..then it is just plain hard to say...
Marie5656
Global Moderator

Postby Brian » Sun May 16, 2010 4:41 pm

Brian
Site Admin

Next

Return to Religion & Philosophy