[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
24hourforums.com • View topic - Anne Rice no longer interested in being Christian

Anne Rice no longer interested in being Christian

Moderator: Brian

Anne Rice no longer interested in being Christian

Postby sirlamre » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:52 pm

Like many of us, she has great love for Christ, but can't tolerate those who claim to be His followers, yet don't act as He would.

Legendary author Anne Rice has announced that she’s quitting Christianity.

The “Interview with a Vampire” author, who wrote a book about her spirituality titled "Called Out of Darkness: A Spiritual Confession" in 2008, said Wednesday that she refuses to be “anti-gay,” “anti-feminist," “anti-science” and “anti-Democrat.”

Rice wrote, “For those who care, and I understand if you don't: Today I quit being a Christian ... It's simply impossible for me to ‘belong’ to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten years, I've tried. I've failed. I'm an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else.”

Rice then added another post explaining her decision on Thursday:

“My faith in Christ is central to my life. My conversion from a pessimistic atheist lost in a world I didn't understand, to an optimistic believer in a universe created and sustained by a loving God is crucial to me," Rice wrote. "But following Christ does not mean following His followers. Christ is infinitely more important than Christianity and always will be, no matter what Christianity is, has been or might become.”
sirlamre

Re: Anne Rice no longer interested in being Christian

Postby Linnea » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:01 pm

I agree completely with her and I wish I could have said it as eloquently.
Support mental health care... or I'll kill you.Image
Linnea
Contributor

Postby Brian » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:10 pm

Frankly, I'm confused. :scratch:

I mean, kudos to her for using "disputatious" in a sentence :thumbleft:, but I'm kind of shocked to see someone claim to have faith in Christ but in practically the same breath disavow being a Christian. If she thinks that all Christians are schmucks, that's fine, but a) that's painting with a mighty wide brush, and b) (and correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm not a Christian) being a Christian doesn't mean following Christians. It means following Christ. Did she sleep through church that day? :scratch:
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Linnea » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:11 pm

I kind of took it to me she doesn't think much of organized religion.
Linnea
Contributor

Postby Brian » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:30 pm

Brian
Site Admin

Postby Linnea » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:59 pm

Off topic, but I've been making a LOT of typos lately. I guess I need to prrofreed better.
Linnea
Contributor

Postby Brian » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:23 pm

Brian
Site Admin

Postby sirlamre » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:05 am

sirlamre

Postby Brian » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:51 am

Brian
Site Admin

Postby sledge » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:24 am

Anne Rice is either a true believer or not in the first place?

To follow Christ you need your own convictions and relationship with god than following leaders of any given church. That may be considered following some kind of cult as their leaders believe they are true divine? (more like brainwashing).

Go live in North Korea as their government leader is also their God, saviour and most powerful being in the universe. Hail Kim Jong-il! :bs:
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Next

Return to Religion & Philosophy