[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
24hourforums.com • View topic - The pros and cons of life in the Soviet Union

The pros and cons of life in the Soviet Union

Peering through the mist of time.

The pros and cons of life in the Soviet Union

Postby spot » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:41 am

Since we have a Russian to ask - Barmaley, do you ever feel nostalgic for any aspect of the Soviet Union? Perhaps you're too young to remember or you never lived through any of it, but maybe you have an opinion.
spot

Re: The pros and cons of life in the Soviet Union

Postby Barmaley » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:47 am

I am too old not to remember living there ;) . This is a huge topic and i would love to give my opinion here since I have my own theory about that time. However there are a lot of misconceptions about life there. I think it would be interesting if you guys first tell about what you think life was there and then I will give you my testimonies about what I remember about that time.
Barmaley

Postby Brian » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:55 am

Hi, Barmaley. :)

I learned about the Soviet Union in high school. (I went to high school from 1985-1989.) The thing I remember hearing about most is that there was only one party to vote for. How can you call it voting if there's only one party? I never understood that.

The other thing I remember hearing about a lot is that there were shortages of everything, because the high-ranking party members were taking everything, and leaving very little for the people.

And of course, there was the Cold War. Everybody was afraid that there would be a nuclear war when I was growing up.

This was a popular song in the 80's:

"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby spot » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:11 pm

spot

Postby Barmaley » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:34 pm

Wow - I put a BIG post here about shortages - (whey are a big misconception) but it is not here :cussing: It is specially sad consider that for me typing in English is a torture. Brian - can you try to recover it? I will kill myself if I need to retype it!
Barmaley

Postby Brian » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:17 pm

Brian
Site Admin

Postby sledge » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:15 am

What was the difference of the Soviet Union(the Communists) and Nazis? one party one dictators but only reason Hitler and Nazism(to some degree) perished is everyone was against him and his Reich was blown to pieces. The 2 biggest rivals were Communists and Fascists so two could not have flourished which communism won.

Everything was in short supply in communist countries except corruption and still is today.
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:29 am

Brian
Site Admin

Postby sledge » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:06 pm