Tipping . . . .

This forum is for anything that doesn't neatly fit into the other open forums.
Forum rules
Please keep any and all discussions respectful of other members.

Re: Tipping . . . .

Postby spot » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:37 pm

There speaks a man who doesn't feel the cut-throat glide across his neck each time he visits.
spot

Postby Cars » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:42 pm

She doesn't use a razor, just a fine hair clipper!
Love Living Large!
(Smile, it doesn't hurt)
( A Smile can always overcome the barrier of language)
Cars

Postby Librtyhead » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:47 pm

Thank God for mirrors in barber shops. I tip the butcher, he gives me the best cuts.
Librtyhead

Postby mariej » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:36 pm

I always leave 10 bucks for the maid when we check out of a hotel, my first job was a maid at a hotel and I made $4.25 per hour. Every once in a blue moon someone would leave a few bucks in the room and it was helpful and appreciated if you can imagine trying to live off $4.25 per hour. That was 16 years ago, but I always think of it whenever we stay at a hotel and I'm usually a very generous tipper for everything unless the service was really lousy.
mariej

Postby sirlamre » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:59 pm

I grew up working in 5-star 5-diamond hotels

As such, I tip when I get service -- and better when I see a waiter/waitress who is scanning the room, observing if any diners are trying to get their attention, ensuring that people have napkins, drinks before the glass is empty, etc.

I do NOT like it when I see a can for tips on the counter next to the cash register, for the staff taking payments and cooking.
They are not paid tip wages, and do nothing more than the rest of the staff at any other restuarant.

To me, earning a tip happens when you do something MORE than just greet someone at the door, take their credit card, or something like that.

Nowadays, it seems that everyone thinks they are due for a tip, not just the traditional jobs that are paid half or less of the minimum wage.

I was even in a car repair shop that had a tip jar out -- that blew my mind that someone would expect a tip for charging close to $40.00 an hour for repairs, and given that the mechanics were ASE certified, I suspect that they were paid well over $20 an hour.
sirlamre

Previous

Return to General Talk