Horse Slaughter

Forum to discuss all things horses. :)

Moderator: Linnea

Horse Slaughter

Postby Nicki » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:11 pm

Now that the slaughtering of horses has been made legal again in the states, I'd like to get a general feel for how people perceive it. What's your opinion?
Nicki

Re: Horse Slaughter

Postby Brian » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:37 pm

I have to admit: I don't know much about the issue, Nicki. But off the top of my head, I don't think we see horses as food (McDonald's jokes aside) so I'm not really sure what the point would be. It's not like horses are pests eating crops or something, and they're not dangerous like wolves or bears.

What's the rationale for the slaughter?
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Millennium » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:50 pm

I haven't heard anything on this....do you have any links or anything we can read?? Thx!
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Nicki » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:49 am

I just spent a little time looking for anything that could explain it with an unbiased slant and solid information. I've found that nearly impossible. It's a shame what's happened to our media but... in a nutshell, here it is. Back in the 70s, they abolished horse slaughter in the US. Unfortunately, it did not curb the amount of horses that were being slaughtered yearly. These horses were simply being shipped across the country to kill pens in Mexico and Canada. The views are extremely strong on both opinions, pro and against. Sometime in the last 6 months, the ban has been lifted and slaughterhouses may again receive horses to process for human as well as animal consumption and we can ship meat to other countries that view it as a delicacy. I'll keep my eyes out for anything that may explain it it better detail and post it as soon as I find it.
Nicki

Postby Nicki » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:00 am

Brian, horses have become a dime a dozen. I'm talking about work horses, not those super amped $30,000 Olympic athletes - although many many of them have come through the auction in Cranbury, NJ too. Their lineage is amazing and they're lined up for slaughter trucks. Picture this. You have a western farmer or rancher. He has an old plow horse. The horse can no longer do his job. Remember now, horses are tools out west. They're not pets. He has one of 3 options. 1. Get a vet out there to euthanize (minimum about $700). 2. He can shoot him between the eyes and bury him on his own property or 3. He can make some money and sell him for meat. The same scenario goes for a horse that can't be broke and is a danger to humans.
Nicki

Postby Brian » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:07 am

That's really sad, Nicki. :( I never realized that horses were seen in such a utilitarian way out West. The image I have is of farmers giving their horses name like Trigger and Nugget and such, I guess. Hard to imagine a person slaughtering something for money that they named first. But I guess if you think of it as Plowhorse #42451-A, you don't have a lot of reason to treat it humanely. :(

Brian
Site Admin

Postby Brian » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:07 am

That's really sad, Nicki. :( I never realized that horses were seen in such a utilitarian way out West. The image I have is of farmers giving their horses name like Trigger and Nugget and such, I guess. Hard to imagine a person slaughtering something for money that they named first. But I guess if you think of it as Plowhorse #42451-A, you don't have a lot of reason to treat it humanely. :(

Brian
Site Admin

Postby Nicki » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:34 pm

Brian, that was my horse. When I got him, he was approximately 200 lbs underweight. He probably never had a name. The shape he was in, I doubt that he'd ever been groomed. The woman who cared for him before I bought him said she brushed him daily just to brush the 'ugly' off of him. As a matter of fact, I had to lift his lip up and shove a piece of carrot between his teeth because he'd never had one before at the age of 7. He's a rescue ranch horse from Mexico. He never saw a kind day in his life until my barn owner took him in. She has quite an eye for horses no matter what they've been through. Unfortunately, after a life like that, not all horses can be saved. Some horses become so rank they cannot even be handled safely. It took a LONG time for him to trust me but after almost 4 years, he looks for me when I go to catch him in the pen. He absolutely loves kids and adores my 6 year old daughter. He's one of the lucky ones that was once unwanted.
Nicki

Postby Brian » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:50 pm

I'm glad you were able to save him, Nicki. That's really cool. :bigsmile:

Brian
Site Admin

Return to Horses