Is There Other Intelligent Life In the Universe?

Atoms to zygotes: past, present & future.

Moderator: Brian

Is There Other Intelligent Life In the Universe?

Postby Brian » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:07 pm

And will we ever find it, if it's out there?

My feeling about it is, the universe is too immense for there not to be intelligent life out there, but it's likely farther away than it would take to get to in a single lifetime. I think the only way we're going to find it is if we send out a big enough ship with supplies for creating a floating colony. And we're just not thinking big enough right now, so I'm not sure that any of us will live to see even the beginning of such a project.

What do you think?
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Is There Other Intelligent Life In the Universe?

Postby Millennium » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:16 am

I'm starting to wonder if there's intelligent life in the White House...much less space....
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Brian » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:33 am

Millennium wrote:I'm starting to wonder if there's intelligent life in the White House...much less space....

Okay, first of all, don't hijack my thread with political stuff! This is about SPACE. :bigsmile:

Secondly, I don't think you ever thought there was intelligent life in the White House after 2008. Who're you foolin'? :rofl2:

Brian
Site Admin

Postby Millennium » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:35 pm

Brian wrote:
Millennium wrote:I'm starting to wonder if there's intelligent life in the White House...much less space....

Okay, first of all, don't hijack my thread with political stuff! This is about SPACE. :bigsmile:

Secondly, I don't think you ever thought there was intelligent life in the White House after 2008. Who're you foolin'? :rofl2:

Getting back on topic...(ahem)...I do think there is other intelligent life out there....but I also think that we will never know in any of our lifetimes....Space is so vast, and until we can develop a method to travel light years in distance in only earth years, we are stuck.
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Brian » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:39 pm

Millennium wrote:
Brian wrote:Space is so vast, and until we can develop a method to travel light years in distance in only earth years, we are stuck.

That's not necessarily true. It may be possible to build a ship large enough that people could live on it and raise future generations on it. It would obviously have to be an immensely large and well-supplied ship, but it's not physically impossible. If you could do that, you personally may never reach an inhabited planet, but your grandchildren might.

Brian
Site Admin

Postby sledge » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:21 am

There could be Intelligent life out there in outer Space but not as we know it. I don't believe in Flying Saucers or Green Little Men. AS being a Fan of Star Trek and other sci-fi TV Shows I do see some truth that one day we will be roaming space in warp fuelled starships but not in our lifetimes. :dontknow:

May be some sort of Klingons out there? :salute:
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:17 pm

Knowing how life forms, the relative rarity of life forming planets and star systems to support them, multiplied by 100 trillion galaxies each with a hundred billion stars or more----there has to be other intelligent life in many thousands to millions of places. Depending on their stage of evolution and how far away, plus the power of their transmissions. They would have to be within a certain range, which expands as we transmit and keep listening.
Our transmissions have only gone out 100 light years or so in a universe 100 million times larger. Our own galaxy is full of blocking dust clouds and radiation, and our transmissions get weaker with distance geometrically. The same with theirs. I think they are out there.
So far, light speed is impossible to attain for a star ship. Just accelerating to meaningful velocities would turn the human body to jelly. Plus you have to decelerate equally upon reaching a destination. The amount of fuel and expense needed is beyond the GNP of all nations on Earth, as overpopulation makes less and less available for building a multi-generational starship.
Humans have not learned how to live sustainably on a good planet that we had, let alone another. Multi-generational ships are theoretically possible IF they carry enough power and materials to be recycled. The acceleration rate would have to be limited to 1 G, with enough power to heat and light the gardens and other systems and enough for deceleration, and enough for reserve to go to another star if the first doesn't work out. As the ship approaches a likely planet, it could be determined if it will work out. Alternates could have been picked out in advance, and also more thoroughly examined as the ship got closer.
If there are none, then the ship will eventually run out of power for its systems and the marooned people will die. If they find a likely planet, then they will have to figure out how to survive there---a place with different flora, fauna, and micro-organisms. Suits would have to be worn until all is determined and everyone's body is ready for new diseases and foods, a new gravity and weather. If other people are already there, but at a primitive level, then they will have to figure out how to survive with them---or worse. If there are already advanced people there, would they be welcomed?
Our own planet is in the throes of an overpopulation nightmare, and can only sustain a quarter or less, so an alien coming here to settle would not be welcome after a while. IMHO
:guitar1: :guitar1: :guitar1: :rockon:
Before every action and decision think of the consequences 7 generations into the future....Ute Rule of Life
Quicksilver

Return to Brian's Science & Nature Shack