Nukemap

Atoms to zygotes: past, present & future.

Moderator: Brian

Nukemap

Postby Brian » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:18 pm

Check out this site to see what would happen if a nuclear device (of varying power) exploded in your town.

SPOILER ALERT

You'd die, or you'd wish you were dead, then you'd die.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Nukemap

Postby Quicksilver » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:25 pm

Very interesting. It is obvious that with the current US B61 type warhead, that a Mirv is needed with 10 warheads in a 10 mile per side octagon with two spaced in the center, to destroy the average large city. I wish the site would show various geometric options, like a 10 warhead Mirv splitting into one 10 mile per side hexagon with a single in the center, and another in a 10 mile per side triangle.
Before every action and decision think of the consequences 7 generations into the future....Ute Rule of Life
Quicksilver

Re: Nukemap

Postby Quicksilver » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:54 pm

I can't help but wonder if they could be the savior of the human species---a BIG IF. How many does it take to cause nuclear winter? Can some number below that figure stop anthropogenic global warming effects and reduce population enough to save humanity, and the majority of other life on Earth, from extinction?
We all know that they could end most life, too, if enough for nuclear winter, or too much radiation is let off. We also know human psychology would put a limited, planned, exchange in serious doubt.
Still, I think that if 1 MGT bombs hit the 500 most populated cities, it would reduce population 2 billion and cause 2*F particulate cooling for 3 years. Then the surviving population would still have to reduce population to 1 billion for sustainability through education and free contraception, and reduce fossil fuel use to 1/10th of what it was.
I have also heard that nuclear winter could happen with 150-200 detonations. I have also heard it would take 1,000. Depending on warhead size, for sure. Another question is if there was a nuclear winter, how many humans (and other species) would survive?
I do know that the population crash scenario for circa 2050 would reduce population "naturally" 90 to 95%. I also know that the Anthropocene Epoch Thermal Maximum from rapid (geologically) methane "turnover", is estimated to cause the extinction of 87% of species, and take 200,000 years to re-sequester back into methane hydrate deposits, and several million more years until biological diversity is close to what it was at the beginning of this interglacial epoch.
I also know that, if by some chance, the population stays too high, too long, with the burning of all the rest of the retrievable fossil fuels, that a runaway greenhouse effect would keep the Earth sterilized of life until the Sun goes nova.
Humanity is at the turning point, and "between a rock and a hard place". :crybaby2:
Before every action and decision think of the consequences 7 generations into the future....Ute Rule of Life
Quicksilver

Return to Brian's Science & Nature Shack