Quantum Teleportation Achieved over 16km

Atoms to zygotes: past, present & future.

Moderator: Brian

Quantum Teleportation Achieved over 16km

Postby Brian » Sun May 23, 2010 2:41 pm

Hi, Everyone.

I thought this story was interesting. Eventually, this will have implications for mass communication and computing. Basically, you're transferring information instantly from one point to another.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
User avatar
Brian
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1913
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: Quantum Teleportation Achieved over 16km

Postby cladking » Tue May 25, 2010 12:34 am

This might have profound implications for computer speeds someday.
User avatar
cladking
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Quantum Teleportation Achieved over 16km

Postby 24HourNut » Tue May 25, 2010 8:49 am

Pretty wild stuff. Being able to transfer goods instantly would result in another explosion of growth just like the Industrial Revolution did. Every time you quicken the speed by which goods and services are exchanged (like the Internet) you get an explosion.
User avatar
24HourNut
Contributor
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:39 pm

Re: Quantum Teleportation Achieved over 16km

Postby OpenMind » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:57 pm

24HourNut wrote:Pretty wild stuff. Being able to transfer goods instantly would result in another explosion of growth just like the Industrial Revolution did. Every time you quicken the speed by which goods and services are exchanged (like the Internet) you get an explosion.


I wouldn't want to be in the way of an instantly travelling shipping crate.
OpenMind
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: Quantum Teleportation Achieved over 16km

Postby Brian » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:27 pm

OpenMind wrote:
24HourNut wrote:Pretty wild stuff. Being able to transfer goods instantly would result in another explosion of growth just like the Industrial Revolution did. Every time you quicken the speed by which goods and services are exchanged (like the Internet) you get an explosion.


I wouldn't want to be in the way of an instantly travelling shipping crate.


I wouldn't want to be in the location where the shipping crate is supposed to arrive! :help:
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
User avatar
Brian
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1913
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: Quantum Teleportation Achieved over 16km

Postby OpenMind » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:48 am

Actually, your answer is more exact than mine since nothing actually moves between the two points.
I wonder if solving quantum teleportation would bring us closer to replicators.
OpenMind
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: Quantum Teleportation Achieved over 16km

Postby Brian » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:30 pm

OpenMind wrote:I wonder if solving quantum teleportation would bring us closer to replicators.


Actually, I don't think we need quantum teleportation for replicators. Replicators are more of a nanotechnology thing. Where it might help is replication over distances. If you had a finished sculpture at Point A, and a lump of clay at Point B, if you could transfer all the information needed to go from clay to vase, that would be very helpful. It's still just a matter of speeding it up, though. The actual grunt work would be done by the nanobots. :)
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
User avatar
Brian
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1913
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: Quantum Teleportation Achieved over 16km

Postby OpenMind » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:55 pm

Hmmm. Roast nanobots doesn't sound as appetising as a roast dinner. :scratch:
OpenMind
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: Quantum Teleportation Achieved over 16km

Postby Brian » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:28 pm

I guess you're right there. ;)
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
User avatar
Brian
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1913
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:02 pm


Return to Brian's Science & Nature Shack

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron