Islam is a newer and a better religion

This is a forum dedicated to analyzing the themes, myths, rituals and concepts of the world's various religions

Re: Islam is a newer and a better religion

Postby Brian » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:33 am

spot wrote:
Barmaley wrote:Do we have an edit button? I found that there is a big gap in a frase in my second post of this thread :sorry:
There's a short period after posting when an edit button appears, just for the poster, but beyond that no. I think it's set at 30 minutes currently. I'd have no reservation about extending that to a day or even two but that's a matter for the administrator to decide on.

It's not an open-ended edit period like you'd find on a wiki, but that's because there's no history kept of any changes to the post. Were I part of the forum design team I think I'd want to add that history trail.

Spot's right that the edit time limit for users is currently set at 30 minutes. That was a compromise. Some had wanted a time limit of as much as an hour, but it was decided that giving too much time to people would potentially threaten the integrity of threads (letting people change their posts in response to someone else's later post, etc.).
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby spot » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:46 am

Brian wrote:Spot's right that the edit time limit for users is currently set at 30 minutes. That was a compromise. Some had wanted a time limit of as much as an hour, but it was decided that giving too much time to people would potentially threaten the integrity of threads (letting people change their posts in response to someone else's later post, etc.).
What I've found over the years is that people very rarely abuse the edit button that way, though Odie's a notorious example of someone who repeatedly does. What people do in such circumstances, after being bitten, is quote the person's text as it was when they post their answer. It highlight's what's happening and tends to fix matters.

The longer period - a day or two - does let posters clean up their spelling and grammar when they happen to notice howlers. I think it's worth considering and maybe giving a trial.
Image Pioneer100© Member
spot

Postby Brian » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:38 pm

spot wrote:
Brian wrote:Spot's right that the edit time limit for users is currently set at 30 minutes. That was a compromise. Some had wanted a time limit of as much as an hour, but it was decided that giving too much time to people would potentially threaten the integrity of threads (letting people change their posts in response to someone else's later post, etc.).
What I've found over the years is that people very rarely abuse the edit button that way, though Odie's a notorious example of someone who repeatedly does. What people do in such circumstances, after being bitten, is quote the person's text as it was when they post their answer. It highlight's what's happening and tends to fix matters.

The longer period - a day or two - does let posters clean up their spelling and grammar when they happen to notice howlers. I think it's worth considering and maybe giving a trial.

I'll definitely consider extending it. Let me talk it over with the GMs and get a consensus. After all, if things go awry, it'll affect them, too.

Brian
Site Admin

Postby Barmaley » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:01 pm

Consider giving Russian members indefinite editing power to fix grammar mistakes or the forums will be unreadable :sorry:
Barmaley

Postby spot » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:26 pm

Brian wrote:I'll definitely consider extending it. Let me talk it over with the GMs and get a consensus. After all, if things go awry, it'll affect them, too.
You could suggest it as a month's trial perhaps, with a promise of reversion to the current rules if anyone discovered a downside.

On a point of information, FG adopted one-day editing about three years ago and we survived the change quite well.
Image Pioneer100© Member
spot

Postby 24HourNut » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:00 am

My view:

|A day or two is way too much time. People should not be editing posts a day or two after they post them. Post integrity should not be left to people quoting posts as people just want to know what they are reading is the original without having to comb through for quoted posts.

If you can't review your post within 10 or 20 minutes after posting it, then move on and learn to use spell check or think a little more before you post. Worst case, you make another post clarifying some point you needed a day or two to think about.
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby spot » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:24 am

With ideas like those, Frank, you should run a forum.
Image Pioneer100© Member
spot

Postby 24HourNut » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:31 am

I did, and when it got up to 500+ posts a day, limiting the post edit time to under 30 minutes proved to be wise. I make my comments based upon things being busy, not just a handful of posters everyone "trusts" or when low volume makes it easy to read every post. When things get busy you have to limit the workload and this is one way. Unless you want to live on forums and wind up caring too much about who posts what. Anyway, that's my advice. Limit edit time to preserve post integrity, not leave the door open for people to modify content after many have read and/or responded to it.
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby Brian » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:23 pm

24HourNut wrote:I did, and when it got up to 500+ posts a day, limiting the post edit time to under 30 minutes proved to be wise. I make my comments based upon things being busy, not just a handful of posters everyone "trusts" or when low volume makes it easy to read every post. When things get busy you have to limit the workload and this is one way. Unless you want to live on forums and wind up caring too much about who posts what. Anyway, that's my advice. Limit edit time to preserve post integrity, not leave the door open for people to modify content after many have read and/or responded to it.

I can see that. I think 30 minutes is reasonable, but since it's slow right now, and people seem to want it, we'll keep it at 60. If things get chaotic later on, I'll set it back to 30.

Brian
Site Admin

Postby scarletangel » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:43 am

I'm in a catholic religion..how you measure your beliefs..? everything was place into my faith..not 50 percent on intelligence and 50 percent for faith..but 100 percent for faith on God^_^ :heart:
scarletangel

Previous

Return to Comparative Religion