Is the end near for the Desktop PC?

Forum to discuss computers and computer-related technology.

Moderator: Brian

Is the end near for the Desktop PC?

Postby Marie5656 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:26 pm

What with all the new technology coming out every 5 minutes or so, why does the Desk top PC still have its users? Here is an interesting article. I am posting a link to it, as there are pics and a video as well as the article.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/20/technol ... n&hpt=Sbin
Marie5656
Global Moderator

Re: Is the end near for the Desktop PC?

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:44 pm

Marie5656 wrote:What with all the new technology coming out every 5 minutes or so, why does the Desk top PC still have its users? Here is an interesting article. I am posting a link to it, as there are pics and a video as well as the article.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/20/technol ... n&hpt=Sbin

BAH, I say! :)

I don't know what brand of crack these PC naysayers are smoking, but it must be pretty potent.

There are at least two things wrong with the article:

1) People still use PCs for work (i.e., the thing people get paid for). For a lot of these people, a desktop PC is a necessity. They're more expandable, they're easier for companies to manage, and they're more powerful than the equivalently-priced laptop/notebook. (And tablets aren't even part of this discussion. 99% of people wouldn't be able to get serious work done on tablets efficiently.) For that reason alone, PCs aren't going anywhere.

2) As much as Apple would like you to think so, users want to do more than consume media. There's an awful lot of creation going on, and you can't do all of it from your cell phone. You'll never be able to do it from your cell phone, either, no matter how "smart" it is. It's a matter of ergonomics. Content creation takes a real keyboard and a decent pointing device, neither of which you can get on a cell phone.

Add the keyboard dock to an iPad, and you're close to what I think the future will look like, but it needs a lot more hardware to compare to a PC.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Linnea » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:52 pm

Got that right, there are thousands of PCs where I work and they upgrade them at least every two years...
Support mental health care... or I'll kill you.Image
Linnea
Contributor

Postby sledge » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:22 am

Yes i can see in the future our computers will be much smaller size of a iphone or something sure it is not powerful enough to run alot of applications at once as the Desktop is still the prefer choice of businesses. Now with ipads, netbooks and iphones wonders amaze.
Computer technology is advancing quick like the net(speed, vidoes sites etc)
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Return to Computers