Anybody Else Using Google Wave?

Forum to discuss computers and computer-related technology.

Moderator: Brian

Anybody Else Using Google Wave?

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:41 pm

They've got it to the point now where you can invite anyone to Google Wave (so that you're not limited to a specific number of invitations).

I really like the immediacy of it. You can be typing a message to someone, and if they're on, they can type back to you in real time, and you can see it happening. Where it gets ungainly is if the wave (e.g., thread) you're typing in is very long, and there are a lot of people on. That slows things down. I haven't been on in a couple months, but at one point, it was slow enough that my typing exceeded the buffer, so that I could see my words getting typed after I'd typed them.

I think it's a really promising technology, though, if they could work the latency issues out.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Anybody Else Using Google Wave?

Postby Barmaley » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:23 pm

Hey Brian,

Nice to see you in wave! I sighned up for it ling time ago but could not figure out what I can use it for? I saw a presentation for it and I believe it was the most dull presentation I ever saw. Do you use the service?
Barmaley

Postby Brian » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:25 pm

Barmaley wrote:Hey Brian,

Nice to see you in wave! I sighned up for it ling time ago but could not figure out what I can use it for? I saw a presentation for it and I believe it was the most dull presentation I ever saw. Do you use the service?

Hi, Barmaley.

Yes, I've used it. It's useful for discussions and for planning things like meetings and parties. :) I sent you a message on Wave a little while ago. :)

Brian
Site Admin

Postby Barmaley » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:39 pm

I got it via my email. It was nice talking to you in Russian.
Barmaley

Postby Brian » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:44 pm

Barmaley wrote:I got it via my email. It was nice talking to you in Russian.

Great. :) I didn't realize you got it. I never received a response in Google Wave. :)

Brian
Site Admin

Postby sledge » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:11 pm

Haven't used it yet and is this Google's answer to Facebook? :dontknow: but i do have Google accounts and like their RSS Reader.
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Postby Brian » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:54 pm

sledge wrote:Haven't used it yet and is this Google's answer to Facebook? :dontknow: but i do have Google accounts and like their RSS Reader.

Hi, Sledge.

It's not really equivalent to Facebook. It's more like a cross between e-mail, forums, and chat. Here's a demo video:

They recently opened it up so that anyone could use it.

Brian
Site Admin

Postby Brian » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:11 pm

After all that, I forgot to include the link. :doh:

Google Wave

Brian
Site Admin

Postby Brian » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:44 pm

Well, if you haven't tried Google Wave yet, you might want to have a look at it while you can. Apparently, it's being discontinued.

I think this is a case of the technology just not being articulated well. There were some really cool real-time sharing things you could do with Wave, but Google never described it in a way that non-technical people could understand. It also suffered from a protracted invite-only period, where only a select group of people could try it. If they'd had more confidence in what the technology could do, they could've released it more publicly, sooner, and gotten much more public support.

The only good thing now is that the Wave protocol is open, so that others can pick up the technology and run with it. Hopefully we'll see other good content come out of this.

Brian
Site Admin

Postby sledge » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:24 am

Brian wrote:Well, if you haven't tried Google Wave yet, you might want to have a look at it while you can. Apparently, it's being discontinued.

I think this is a case of the technology just not being articulated well. There were some really cool real-time sharing things you could do with Wave, but Google never described it in a way that non-technical people could understand. It also suffered from a protracted invite-only period, where only a select group of people could try it. If they'd had more confidence in what the technology could do, they could've released it more publicly, sooner, and gotten much more public support.

The only good thing now is that the Wave protocol is open, so that others can pick up the technology and run with it. Hopefully we'll see other good content come out of this.

I actual had alook at the Wave and found it complicated to understand properly and didn't want to take the time reading up as i don't see me using it much. They need to come up with a better social network tool that could rival facebook without the crud. :banghead:
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Next

Return to Computers