Anybody Else Using Google Wave?

Forum to discuss computers and computer-related technology.

Moderator: Brian

Re: Anybody Else Using Google Wave?

Postby Brian » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:39 am

sledge wrote:
Brian wrote:Well, if you haven't tried Google Wave yet, you might want to have a look at it while you can. Apparently, it's being discontinued.

I think this is a case of the technology just not being articulated well. There were some really cool real-time sharing things you could do with Wave, but Google never described it in a way that non-technical people could understand. It also suffered from a protracted invite-only period, where only a select group of people could try it. If they'd had more confidence in what the technology could do, they could've released it more publicly, sooner, and gotten much more public support.

The only good thing now is that the Wave protocol is open, so that others can pick up the technology and run with it. Hopefully we'll see other good content come out of this.

I actual had alook at the Wave and found it complicated to understand properly and didn't want to take the time reading up as i don't see me using it much. They need to come up with a better social network tool that could rival facebook without the crud. :banghead:

Google's supposed to be jumping into the social networking space soon. Hopefully, some of Wave will make it into that project.

Wave could've been a really great thing, if they'd a) opened it up to everyone a lot sooner, and b) hired some people with degrees in writing, rather than engineering, to explain it.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Anybody Else Using Google Wave?

Postby jassoncook » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:40 am

Another forum I'm on-one informal, created by one of the members who also sent invites to other people. It is used to discuss anything in real time, or if someone wants some help with something they can just pop in just a shame the beta though, really needs more people to keep it active.
jassoncook

Previous

Return to Computers