Show And Tell

Forum to discuss computers and computer-related technology.

Moderator: Brian

Show And Tell

Postby spot » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:44 am

I do actually own a recent laptop but one of my daughters needed it more than I did so it's been in Edinburgh for the last three months.

So I burrowed into boxes and found an old one. It was a lesson in humility. Yes, a 266MHz 64MB sub-notebook from 1998 will browse the Internet and run word processing but it fails any respectable Time And Motion study.

After a few weeks I put it back in the drawer and dug out a 550MHz desktop. A month of that persuaded me that it's fine unless I want to play clips off YouTube. So long as I steer clear of anything Flash-based it's adequate.

At the start of the week I rescued a nasty looking box from a skip. Not the monitor, that looked even nastier but the box was more recent, I could tell because it had a PS/2 keyboard socket instead of the older bigger AT socket. I brought it home, powered it up, wiped the 40GB hard drive and that's what I'm typing on now. 1300MHz, 512MB and I still can't get Flash clips to play adequately. Bloody bloody Adobe, I can't remember not detesting that company. Inefficient bastards.

"Size isn't everything. It's what you do
That matters, darling, and you do quite well
In some respects." -- Wendy Cope.

I have a suspicion it would manage a lot better with a video card. The onboard graphics is a mere 1MB unaccelerated. There's a free PCI slot but I've not found anything in a drawer that will plug into it so far. That'll teach me not to fish boxes out of skips in future. Or lend laptops indefinitely to daughters.
spot

Re: Show And Tell

Postby Linnea » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:58 am

What's a 'skip'?
Support mental health care... or I'll kill you.Image
Linnea
Contributor

Postby spot » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:39 am

A curiously British sight, presumably. Hired for a few days, about the size of a large car and left in a street parking area outside of a house for the removal of several cubic yards of builders waste during renovation. If there's one in the street, other residents tend to deposit additional material there during the hours of darkness. Recycling odd bits is considered good form.
spot

Postby Linnea » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:12 am

Ah, we call them dumpsters over here.

Sorry for the derailment.
Linnea
Contributor

Postby Boba » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:22 pm

I too had a good score this weekend! I saw a neighbor having a garage sale. She had a Laptop there and I asked her how much? She said it was broken and needed a motherboard. She said I could have it for $20.00. I figured that I may be able to replace the motherboard for around $200.00, so I took it. (She threw in a computer chair, nice one, for $5.00 more). I got it home and powered it up. It seemed to boot up, but had no picture at all. So I shut it down. Later, I wanted to see if the battery would take a charge, so I plugged it in again and guess what? It came up just fine. As I was checking it out, I found a file that said that the video drivers were courpt. I loaded new ones and it has worked fine all weekend! I don't know if that was the problem or not, but so far, so good! It is an HP dv6000 with Windows 7 on it, 15.4 screen, read/write/cd/dvd/lightscribe. Not the top of the line, but great for e-mail and surfing.
Boba
Contributor

Postby Linnea » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:49 pm

That's damn nice for only $20!
Linnea
Contributor

Postby Boba » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:02 pm

Linnea wrote:That's damn nice for only $20!

Yea, I lucked out on this one! (I'm on it now) These things usually happen to other people, not me! :woo:
Boba
Contributor

Return to Computers