Text-To-Speech in the Amazon Kindle

Forum to discuss computers and computer-related technology.

Moderator: Brian

Re: Text-To-Speech in the Amazon Kindle

Postby Brian » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:16 am

I got a response to my e-mail to Jeff Bezos today. Here it is:

"Dear Brian,

My name is Peg Anderson of Amazon.com’s Executive Customer Relations. Jeff Bezos received your email and has asked me to reply on his behalf.

First, thank you for being such an avid supporter of the Kindle! We appreciate your thoughts about the future of Text to Speech and how this feature will benefit so many readers.

I've shared your comments with our Kindle Business team as I know they'll be interested. At Amazon.com, we're passionate about the future and the possibilities that embracing technology can bring to authors and rights-holders everywhere. With Kindle, we continue to focus on bringing the benefits of modern technology to long-form reading.

Strong customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service we provide, and we're glad you took time to write to us. I've shared your comments with the Kindle team.

Thanks for your interest in Amazon Kindle.

Regards,

Peg Anderson
Executive Customer Relations
Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com"

At least it looks like she read the e-mail...
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby sledge » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:09 am

Brian wrote:
sledge wrote:the cheaper option for those handicapped is to get the audio book instead. I really don't see these e-readers taking off for a few years to come.

I don't know too much about the adoption rate of the Kindle device itself, but Amazon claims now that e-books outsell paper books on its site. Because the Kindle software works on other devices, it's not necessarily the case that the Kindle device itself is a enormous success, but e-books in general seem to be.

As far as audio books are concerned, I could be wrong about this, but audio books don't appear to me to be a cheaper option (at least, not for the books themselves). I checked out Audible.com, and their offerings seem to be substantially more expensive than Amazon's e-books. You also have to keep in mind that there's lots of free e-book material available for Kindle and the other e-book readers.

Being digital is also a big advantage. You can take all kinds of documents (e.g., PDFs, DOC files, TXT files) and run them through a program to put them on your Kindle. To my knowledge, you can't do that with a regular audio device. If you go with books on tape, you're stuck with whatever books they've decided to record. The pool of e-books is much, much larger.

There are plenty of free audio books and ebooks i found with the audio you can convert and put it on ur ipod or media player in any format you like. I have software will almost convert any audio file to whatever format you need or you use the free online versions. Also i have used it to rip audio from videos. Its becoming the practice to digitalize books on the web or in audio format possibly the humble paper format will come to an end. Also E-Readers will become popular in the futurel but e-books should be cheaper but the publishers will still charge the same as for an paperback.
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Postby sledge » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:15 am

Brian wrote:I got a response to my e-mail to Jeff Bezos today. Here it is:

"Dear Brian,

My name is Peg Anderson of Amazon.com’s Executive Customer Relations. Jeff Bezos received your email and has asked me to reply on his behalf.

First, thank you for being such an avid supporter of the Kindle! We appreciate your thoughts about the future of Text to Speech and how this feature will benefit so many readers.

I've shared your comments with our Kindle Business team as I know they'll be interested. At Amazon.com, we're passionate about the future and the possibilities that embracing technology can bring to authors and rights-holders everywhere. With Kindle, we continue to focus on bringing the benefits of modern technology to long-form reading.

Strong customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service we provide, and we're glad you took time to write to us. I've shared your comments with the Kindle team.

Thanks for your interest in Amazon Kindle.

Regards,

Peg Anderson
Executive Customer Relations
Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com"

At least it looks like she read the e-mail...

Just a nice letter for ya the standard letter response which they send out to all their customers. Just change the odd word or two. 'Better than saying 'Mind you own business we know better than you." :lol:
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Previous

Return to Computers