Tip for Gmail Users

Forum to discuss computers and computer-related technology.

Moderator: Brian

Tip for Gmail Users

Postby Brian » Wed May 19, 2010 12:33 pm

Hi, Everyone.

I thought I'd pass along this tip for Gmail that I stumbled across. The genesis of it was a CNET tip I saw concerning creating a bookmark that took you to your unread mail in Gmail. I didn't like the idea of having to use a special bookmark just for going to unread mail, so I worked it out a little more.

As you may know, Gmail doesn't necessarily show you all your unread mail in one place. If you set up filters to label your mail as it comes in, suddenly your mail could be spread out over multiple labels. If you have a lot of labels, they might not all be listed on the screen at one time. And of course, something might accidentally get automatically sent to Spam without your ever having seen it, or a filter you set up might have accidentally trashed something. In any of these situations, seeing all of your unread messages at once could be from tricky to impossible.

Here's the solution I worked out:

1) Create a label "Not Read" (or something similar). "Unread" is a reserved word in the Gmail system, so you can't name it that.
2) Go to Filters under settings, and add a new filter.
3) In the "Has the words:" text box, enter "is: unread"
4) Test the search. It should come back with all your unread e-mail.
5) Go to the next step. When you click the button, the system will throw up a warning, but you can ignore it. It's incorrect. The filter works.
6) On the next screen, have the system apply the label "Not Read" (or whatever you called your new label).

That will let you see all your unread mail in one place, regardless of its label or whether it was archived without being read.

You may not need this tip, but it's there if you need it. :)
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Tip for Gmail Users

Postby beebee » Fri May 21, 2010 8:48 pm

Brian,
Thankyou for the email tip, Love, beebee
beebee

Postby Brian » Fri May 21, 2010 11:26 pm

beebee wrote:Brian,
Thankyou for the email tip, Love, beebee

No problem, beebee. Glad you found it useful. :woo:

Brian
Site Admin

Postby spot » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:12 am

I'll tell you what I'd like, Brian. I'd like a button that will show me all the gmail that's not filtered, and I can't think of how to do it. Maybe one post in fifty is unexpected and doesn't go to the designated place but I simply don't know how to find them as a category, at the moment I have to search page after page looking for them.
spot

Postby Brian » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:14 am

spot wrote:I'll tell you what I'd like, Brian. I'd like a button that will show me all the gmail that's not filtered, and I can't think of how to do it. Maybe one post in fifty is unexpected and doesn't go to the designated place but I simply don't know how to find them as a category, at the moment I have to search page after page looking for them.

Hi, Spot.

I think the tip I posted should show you everything that comes in that's not filtered. (Well, between that and the Spam folder, at least.)

Brian
Site Admin

Postby spot » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:30 am

Only if everything under all the filters is already marked as read, sadly. I could make that so by bulk-marking the mail under each filter but firstly I've quite a few filters and secondly I'd then not know which ones I hadn't looked at.
spot

Postby Brian » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:03 am

spot wrote:Only if everything under all the filters is already marked as read, sadly. I could make that so by bulk-marking the mail under each filter but firstly I've quite a few filters and secondly I'd then not know which ones I hadn't looked at.

Actually, the tip I started the thread with shows your unread e-mail all in one place. The only problem I've seen with this is that the "Not Read" tag stays on the e-mail even after you've read it, so if you care about that, you have to untag it.

Brian
Site Admin

Postby spot » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:05 am

And a very good tip it is too.

If you come up with a solution to my problem I'll be overjoyed.
spot

Postby Brian » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:12 am

spot wrote:And a very good tip it is too.

If you come up with a solution to my problem I'll be overjoyed.

I'm trying to understand the problem, I guess. All you're trying to do is to see unfiltered e-mail? In that case, you'd want something like this:

-(label:label1 OR label:label2 OR label:label3...etc.)

Once you have that done, bookmark it, and you'll be able to see everything that doesn't have a label whenever you want.

Brian
Site Admin

Postby spot » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:15 am

That's working perfectly as far as I can see, at least for messages already in the system. I'll check over the next day or so whether it catches new ones.

Thank you Brian, that's very good.
spot

Next

Return to Computers