I want to become a Ninjaphile

This forum is for anything that doesn't neatly fit into the other open forums.
Forum rules
Please keep any and all discussions respectful of other members.

I want to become a Ninjaphile

Postby Kazoo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:56 pm

I am now thoroughly convinced that I should eliminate all RISK from my life. Also that I should attempt to GUARANTEE that I will come to no harm nor will anyone I know, read about, or see on TV.

My problem now is how I will feed myself being that the grocery store is not in my house and will require my exposing myself to a degree of potential ....DANGER!

I have now painted my "NO GUNS HERE" sign and will put it up in my yard when the paint (unleaded watercolor) dries. But how can I do that unless I use a fearsome HAMMER?

Boy, this carefulness is a tricky path to navigate.

:dontknow:
Kazoo

Re: I want to become a Ninjaphile

Postby Cynicalninja » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:57 am

A hammer is a tool primarily designed to hammer in nails.

A gun is a weapon designed only to kill and injure.

Next?
Space to let for non-antagonistic signature.
Cynicalninja

Postby 24HourNut » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:09 pm

Any self defense tool is going to be "designed to kill or hurt." Unfortunately, the reality is, if you are going to accept responsibility for your own safety and freedom, like a free citizenry is supposed to with the balance of power on their side, that means the right to effectively defend yourself, assemble, free press, etc.
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby Boba » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:20 pm

Cynicalninja wrote:A hammer is a tool primarily designed to hammer in nails.

A gun is a weapon designed only to kill and injure.

Next?

A hammer is designed to build.
A gun is designed to defend what you've just built.

Next?
Boba
Contributor

Postby Cynicalninja » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:46 pm

24HourNut wrote:like a free citizenry is supposed to with the balance of power on their side.

:rofl2:

Try asking the "free citizenry" who opposed the health reform bill whether they think the balance of power is on their side!

When America went into Iraq did you feel as a "free citizen" that the balance of power was on your side?

The illusion of freedom is comforting.
Space to let for non-antagonistic signature.
Cynicalninja

Postby 24HourNut » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:54 pm

Cynicalninja wrote:
24HourNut wrote:like a free citizenry is supposed to with the balance of power on their side.

:rofl2:

Try asking the "free citizenry" who opposed the health reform bill whether they think the balance of power is on their side!

When America went into Iraq did you feel as a "free citizen" that the balance of power was on your side?

The illusion of freedom is comforting.

I was saying that certain basic rights, like the right to keep and bear arms (effective self defense) contribute to the principle that the balance of power should be with the People, not the public servants, royalty, dictator, etc. We are supposed to be the bosses since we are ultimately responsible for our safety and freedom. History teaches what happens over time when a citizenry is not enabled to take that responsibility, or when the means is taken away.
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby 2bits » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:22 pm

Ninja is a nutcase, if a persons life is in danger and the only weapon they have is a hammer, its a weapon and will be used in defence of that persons life.

If a person wants to kill you and the only weapon they have is a hammer it is a weapon and will be used to kill you.

His premise that a hammer is made to drive nails is nonsensical, whatever is being held and used as a weapon is a weapon.

ask any peace officer who ever had to defend himself against a baseball bat if he hesitated to pull the trigger when the person carrying it and using it as a weapon closed to within 21 feet intending to bash in the officers head.
Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country.

John Adams
2bits

Postby 2bits » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:52 pm

The nutcase remark was just because ninja would expect it from me, by the way its not cultural for the english they were disarmed by their government.

firearms and hunting were as much a part of the english culture as they are ours.

the problem with ninja is that he was born into the no gun government enforced culture that england is today.
Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country.

John Adams
2bits

Postby 24HourNut » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:16 pm

lady cop wrote:[b]i don't think Ninja is a nutcase at all. it's cultural.

Remember, that culture includes not having to fight off a tyrant for their freedom, not shedding a ruling power to make the balance of power go with the people, and a Nation that STILL has a Queen. In other words, not exactly the beacons of freedom given their history. So yeah it's a cultural thing, but I think it is worth pointing out it's a culture that has not embraced the principles of freedom that America has. The right to effective self defense, the responsibility to have the means to protect your freedom and safety, and the responsibility of all free citizens to be on vigilant guard to all the basic rights including the right to keep and arms is inherent in a respect for long-term freedom. Ninja lacks a true respect for that and the lessons taught by history. He is too short-term focused and his culture reinforces a lack of responsibility of the citizens to be in charge.
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby Brian » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:41 pm

24HourNut wrote:
lady cop wrote:[b]i don't think Ninja is a nutcase at all. it's cultural.

Remember, that culture includes not having to fight off a tyrant for their freedom, not shedding a ruling power to make the balance of power go with the people, and a Nation that STILL has a Queen. In other words, not exactly the beacons of freedom given their history.

I think you're being a bit too hard on the Brits, Frank.

AFAIK, the British monarch is a figurehead. She has more authority than a McDonald's manager, but less authority than your average mayor of a large city. The actual power lies with Parliament and the prime minister. In fact, one of the reasons the colonies rebelled was they were being denied the rights of British citizens -- some of which go back to the Magna Carta. So if it's a cultural issue, it's a very recent one, and has nothing to do with the monarchy.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Talk