Tipping . . . .

This forum is for anything that doesn't neatly fit into the other open forums.
Forum rules
Please keep any and all discussions respectful of other members.

Tipping . . . .

Postby Cars » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:35 pm

Usually, one tips the restaurant server, the door man, the car valet, cabbie, barkeep, newspaperboy, and the like.

Now I've always left a tip for the housekeeping maid who cleans our hotel room, even when it is just overnight stay. Like I did today, for our stay last night)

Do you do the same?
Last edited by Cars on Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love Living Large!
(Smile, it doesn't hurt)
( A Smile can always overcome the barrier of language)
User avatar
Cars
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:30 am
Location: NE-Summer, FL Winter

Re: Tipping . . . .

Postby Linnea » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:37 pm

I've never stayed at hotels often enough in the past to learn I should have left tips, so I feel kind of bad about that. I do leave tips for everyone else though...
Support mental health care... or I'll kill you.Image
User avatar
Linnea
Contributor
 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:24 am

Re: Tipping . . . .

Postby Brian » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:50 pm

I've never stayed at a hotel by myself. Only as a kid with my family.

In general, I try to tip at every possible opportunity, if I like the service. (If I don't like the service, I still might tip, but I'll tip something < 15%, so that the person getting the tip knows I wasn't pleased.) My reasoning is, if you want good service, people have to want to give you good service, and tipping well is a good reward for those who do. I guess it wouldn't matter as much to me if I knew I was never going to use that service again, but I don't really feel safe making assumptions like that.

Plus, to be frank, in a lot of situations (taxis, for instance) it's more of a big deal to give good service to someone in a wheelchair, so I like to reward people who don't give me an attitude.)
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
User avatar
Brian
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1913
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: Tipping . . . .

Postby Cars » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:20 pm

Brian wrote:I've never stayed at a hotel by myself. Only as a kid with my family.

In general, I try to tip at every possible opportunity, if I like the service. (If I don't like the service, I still might tip, but I'll tip something < 15%, so that the person getting the tip knows I wasn't pleased.) My reasoning is, if you want good service, people have to want to give you good service, and tipping well is a good reward for those who do. I guess it wouldn't matter as much to me if I knew I was never going to use that service again, but I don't really feel safe making assumptions like that.

Plus, to be frank, in a lot of situations (taxis, for instance) it's more of a big deal to give good service to someone in a wheelchair, so I like to reward people who don't give me an attitude.)


Basically, that's the jist of this thread, we never see the hotel maid who cleans our room, because we leave & then it's cleaned. So it's being cleaned for the next person. I don't think/know if the hotel expects their housekeeping staff to get tips, as they expect their serving people to get tips. Therefore, are the housekeeping staff failrly compensated, anyone know?
Love Living Large!
(Smile, it doesn't hurt)
( A Smile can always overcome the barrier of language)
User avatar
Cars
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:30 am
Location: NE-Summer, FL Winter

Re: Tipping . . . .

Postby Marie5656 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:29 am

As for tipping, I recently read somewhere that hotel cleaners are least often tipped. Maybe because they are unseen? I stay in a hotel once or twice a year..and usually it is with Kim, when we go to a conference. We always leave a tip in the room before we leave. And I always make an effort to not leave the room totally trashed. Yes, I know it is their JOB to clean the room...but I also know that they have X number of rooms they must clean each day. So what I mean by not leaving it trashed..is that I will make sure garbage has made it to the trash cans...and I return the used towels to the bathroom.
Image
User avatar
Marie5656
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 662
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:02 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: Tipping . . . .

Postby spot » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:51 am

Different cultures have different conventions. In England it's acceptable to tip a cab driver, the person who delivers the paper to your door (once a year, at Christmas), and waiters in a restaurant (though not a café, bar or fast food outlet of any description). Tipping any member of staff in an hotel would be considered an affectation of the über-rich. I suspect tipping one's steward on a liner is still de rigeur though that experience has, to date, eluded me.
User avatar
spot
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:34 am
Location: Blighty

Re: Tipping . . . .

Postby spot » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:56 am

Oh. And one's barber. Invariably. Just as one can never tell him one's hair has been cut poorly when the mirror is presented - some things are simply never done.
User avatar
spot
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:34 am
Location: Blighty

Re: Tipping . . . .

Postby Brian » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:24 am

spot wrote:Oh. And one's barber. Invariably. Just as one can never tell him one's hair has been cut poorly when the mirror is presented - some things are simply never done.


I'd be terrified not to tip my barber. You've go to live with whatever the barber does until your haircut grows out. :help:
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
User avatar
Brian
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1913
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: Tipping . . . .

Postby silverpop » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:29 pm

yeah i tip when the service is good
expect the unexpected

15 yrs unoffically

1997-Present
User avatar
silverpop
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:10 am
Location: abilene tx

Re: Tipping . . . .

Postby Cars » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:32 pm

Brian wrote:
spot wrote:Oh. And one's barber. Invariably. Just as one can never tell him one's hair has been cut poorly when the mirror is presented - some things are simply never done.


I'd be terrified not to tip my barber. You've go to live with whatever the barber does until your haircut grows out. :help:

Yes I used to tip my barber, untill the price of haircuts increased, & then I found out that she "owned" the shop!!! So the entire fee charged goes to her. So now, no tip. And if she gave a bad haircut I would look elsewhere.
Love Living Large!
(Smile, it doesn't hurt)
( A Smile can always overcome the barrier of language)
User avatar
Cars
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:30 am
Location: NE-Summer, FL Winter

Next

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron