Unprofessional Behavior?

This forum is for anything that doesn't neatly fit into the other open forums.
Forum rules
Please keep any and all discussions respectful of other members.

Unprofessional Behavior?

Postby Saint » Thu May 06, 2010 5:17 pm

Grrrr... I need to vent. :angryfire:

so I go over to Walgreens Pharmacy to pick up a prescription for my wife, (she got her new leg today!) and I walk up to the counter.

There's a pharmacist EATING HER DINNER ON THE COUNTER. Over a mouthful of food, she says, "Yeah?" No "May I help you" or anything like that. I'm horrified. This is the person that is going to use her grubby hands to put my wife's pills in a bottle? She's actually eating dinner right on the counter while helping customers?!! And this is some stinky food too! Sick people are going to have to stand right over this and smell it!!

I tell her, "That's unprofessional, please put that food away." So she just laughs as if I'm joking. I state again, in a more serious voice, "I'm not joking, put that food away before you help me."

She gives me a smirk and a "harumph!" and stalks to the back of the pharmacy. On her way back she stops to whisper in a co-worker's ear and point at me. OK...now I'm pissed.

I raise my voice and ask her loudly, so that everyone in the entire pharmacy can hear me, "Did you just mock or insult me to your coworker?" She begins to realize that I am not someone to be trifled with, and says, still with a smirk, "No." I say, I saw you whisper to her and point at me, just what did you say?" She just shrugs.

I've had it. I ask, "Who is the pharmacy manager?"

'He's right over there." she states, pointing at a man, but making no effort to go get him.

"Go get him."

The manager comes up, but to my surprise, he has the same attitude as the young girl! I ask him, "What is the store policy concerning employees eating food on the counter while helping customers? In a snide voice he replies, "I'm not aware of any policy concerning that.

Now, I KNOW this is a lie, because I can't think of ANY business that would allow that kind of behavior. So I tell him, "So you are saying that you have no problem with this at all? You condone this kind of behavior in a health care setting?"

He is on the defensive now, because he is not used to people that stick up for themselves. So he puffs up blusterly, sticks out his chest and says, 'I have no problem with it."

I kind of feel sorry for him at this point because his pride and stupidity have just crucified him. But I'm not about to let him off the hook.

I tell him, 'You better write down every single thing that happened right here because I have a feeling that your store manager and the Central Command structure of your corporation are going to have as big a problem with this as I do, and since I'm writing it all down and sending it to them, you might want to defend your actions.

So....who was out of line here.

Me, for requiring better behavior from my health care providers and being too nit-picking? :dontknow:

Or him, for allowing outright reprehensible behavior from his staff? :bs:
Saint

Re: Unprofessional Behavior?

Postby Boba » Thu May 06, 2010 5:23 pm

You go man! It's one thing if it were your mechanic eating on his tool box, it's quite another when it is someone handing out medicine. Good for you!
Boba
Contributor

Postby Millennium » Thu May 06, 2010 5:40 pm

Boba wrote:You go man! It's one thing if it were your mechanic eating on his tool box, it's quite another when it is someone handing out medicine. Good for you!

More people need to do what you did...That's the only way that kind of behavior will be stopped. Good for you, Saint.
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby shimmy » Thu May 06, 2010 6:53 pm

:woo: WTG!!!!

I'll bet he was on the phone to his boss etc...Covering his ass and his assistant
shimmy
Global Moderator

Postby mariej » Thu May 06, 2010 7:07 pm

Meh, I don't sweat the small stuff, but that's just me. I don't see any reason to make my life or anyone elses more difficult then it already is so I probally would have just let it go. If the pharmacist was in the back dripping chicken chow mein all over my pills then I would be like WTF man, but if he was just at the counter having a quick bite then I wouldn't make a big stink over it.
mariej

Postby Linnea » Thu May 06, 2010 7:10 pm

It sounds like the counter girl, who wouldn't be handling the pills anyway, is the one that was eating. Non-event.
Support mental health care... or I'll kill you.Image
Linnea
Contributor

Postby mariej » Thu May 06, 2010 7:20 pm

To be honest, your post sounds like you like to give people a hard time just for the sake of it. I deal with these type of customers every day, it's like they get some kind of satisfaction out of making a big deal out of nothing.
mariej

Postby Millennium » Thu May 06, 2010 7:29 pm

mariej wrote:To be honest, your post sounds like you like to give people a hard time just for the sake of it. I deal with these type of customers every day, it's like they get some kind of satisfaction out of making a big deal out of nothing.

It sounds to me like a guy that has been under a lot of pressure, and needs to vent...Been there myself.
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Linnea » Thu May 06, 2010 7:42 pm

You yell at people that wait on you at stores and restaurants to relieve stress?
Support mental health care... or I'll kill you.Image
Linnea
Contributor

Postby Brian » Thu May 06, 2010 7:52 pm

I can relate. The whole purpose of giving people lunch breaks when they do that kind of work is so that they don't eat when they're supposed to be working. It may or may not be unsanitary (although having food at the pharmacy counter sounds like a bad idea to me, regardless of who's actually handling the pills) but it's grossly unprofessional. Someone who works with the public ought to know better.

And if they're willing to eat in front of customers at the counter, God knows what they're doing behind the scenes where they actually have to lay pills out and count them.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Talk