My cat (Simba Sue) broke her leg...

Helping you help your pets.

Moderator: Linnea

My cat (Simba Sue) broke her leg...

Postby mrpaseo » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:10 pm

We went away for the weekend and when we returned, Simba was limping. The next morning we brought her in and had an x-ray done. We found a break on the upper left femur (Front left leg right near the top joint). Since it was near the joint, they had to put a few brackets and pins on to hold it together, a cast would not do.

It's been a week now and when she stands still, she uses the leg, however, when she walks she carries it. Feeling the muscle, its gorged and un-usable...

Can someone tell me if this is normal and will it fix it's self in time? We have a follow up in another week but I was hoping to get some info as to if we can do anything for her. She does not seem to be in pain.

Thanks,
Ray
mrpaseo

Re: My cat (Simba Sue) broke her leg...

Postby Linnea » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:13 pm

I'd call the vet's office as soon as you can to see what they say. It's hard to tell when a cat is in pain, they hide it well. Wish I could help.
Support mental health care... or I'll kill you.Image
Linnea
Contributor

Postby mrpaseo » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:33 pm

Linnea wrote:I'd call the vet's office as soon as you can to see what they say. It's hard to tell when a cat is in pain, they hide it well. Wish I could help.

Well, Simba had the seized muscle when she went in, they know about it. They told us to massage daily and we do. I read on line (Just now) that this is the best practice. I was/am worried about further damage, I read that we should not stretch the muscle out and to only massage in small circles every 3/4 days for three weeks... It's only been a week and we have seen improvement.

Just a little worried parent is all...lol.

Ray
mrpaseo

Postby MADNOTBAD » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:09 pm

mrpaseo wrote:
Linnea wrote:I'd call the vet's office as soon as you can to see what they say. It's hard to tell when a cat is in pain, they hide it well. Wish I could help.

Well, Simba had the seized muscle when she went in, they know about it. They told us to massage daily and we do. I read on line (Just now) that this is the best practice. I was/am worried about further damage, I read that we should not stretch the muscle out and to only massage in small circles every 3/4 days for three weeks... It's only been a week and we have seen improvement.

Just a little worried parent is all...lol.

Ray
Hi Ray,

Sorry to hear that your cat has suffered.

You have had good advice about massaging the muscle as this kind of strain Is very common In breaks.

One thing I can tell you Is that cats do not purr only when happy.... They purr when In pain also.
To check If she Is In pain, listen for the purring with laboured breathing. Cats breathe heavier when In pain and like dogs, the tail will be downward at times.
If you do not have one already, rest her up In a Cat carrier during most of the time and just allow her to exercise In short periords through-out the day. Excerise Is very Important at getting the muscle working again gradually and re-building new tissue.

Please keep us Imformed.
MADNOTBAD

Postby mrpaseo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:25 pm

I removed the stitches today. Simba gets around alright on three legs, I think we're going to change her name to "Peg Leg Hops Alot" :D

She goes back in to see the Docs on Monday.
mrpaseo

Postby Linnea » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:41 am

Let us know what the vet says.
Linnea
Contributor

Postby mrpaseo » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:53 am

Friday, 13 AUG 10, Simba Sue was put down due to complications.

She will be missed.
mrpaseo

Postby Linnea » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:04 am

Ah, I'm sorry to hear that. :(
Linnea
Contributor

Return to Animals & Pets