The Arizona Immigration Law

Re: Obama slams Arizona Immigration bill

Postby Millennium » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:18 pm

lady cop wrote:Washington (CNN) -- President Obama on Friday criticized a controversial new immigration bill in Arizona, calling it "misguided."

"Our failure to act responsible at the federal level will only open the door to irresponsibility by others. That includes, for example, the recent efforts in Arizona, which threaten to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans, as well as the trust between police and their communities that is so crucial to keeping us safe," the president said at a naturalization ceremony for 24 members of the military.

"In fact, I've instructed members of my administration to closely monitor the situation and examine the civil rights and other implications of this legislation. But if we continue to fail to act at the federal level, we will continue to see misguided efforts opening up around the country."

Obama added, "As a nation, as a people, we can choose a different future, a future that keeps faith with our history, with our heritage, and with the hope that America has always inspired in the hearts of people all over the world."

The bill would require immigrants to carry their alien registration documents at all times and require police to question people if there's reason to suspect they're in the United States illegally. It also targets those who hire illegal immigrant day laborers or knowingly transport them.

Currently, officers can check someone's immigration status if the person is suspected in another crime.

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, is nearing a Saturday deadline to decide what action she may take on the bill, considered to be among the toughest immigration measures in the nation.

Critics argue the new law would foster racial profiling, saying most police officers don't have enough training to look past race while investigating a person's legal status. :bs: :bs: :bs:

Some Latino members of Congress have urged Brewer to veto the bill, arguing that it unconstitutionally authorizes discrimination.

Supporters said the measure is needed to fill a void left by the federal government's failure to enforce immigration laws. Its leading sponsor, state Sen. Russell Pearce, said, "Illegal is not a race, it's a crime."

Pearce, a Republican, said, "We're going to take the handcuffs off of law enforcement. We're going to put them on the bad guy."

Misguided?.. :WTF: ..oh brother....and once again, we get verification from the Obama supporters that the police can't look past race.....That settles it..... What a dumb ass statement. I don't blame you for calling BS. LC. :thumbleft:
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Brian » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:18 pm

When it comes to immigration, I consider myself fairly moderate. I don't think this law is correct, but only because regulating immigration isn't a state power.

What I find insane about President Obama's comments is the complaint about "racial profiling". I'm sorry, but you don't find people who look like Conan O'Brien sneaking over the border from Mexico.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Boba » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:28 pm

Brian wrote:When it comes to immigration, I consider myself fairly moderate. I don't think this law is correct, but only because regulating immigration isn't a state power.

What I find insane about President Obama's comments is the complaint about "racial profiling". I'm sorry, but you don't find people who look like Conan O'Brien sneaking over the border from Mexico.

I think that it becomes a state power when the Federal government can not, or refuses to enforce the law and AZ citizens are dying.

As for the profiling, I agree. But then 100% of hijackers since 9-11 have been Middleeastern men, between the ages of 20 and 45, yet I, my wife and son are subject to a vurtual strip search at the airport.
Boba
Contributor

Postby Boba » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:34 pm

lady cop wrote:the Gov. of Arizona just this minute signed the bill into law.

Whoo Hoo!! :woo: this will get interesting.
Boba
Contributor

Postby Millennium » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:36 pm

Exactly.....Until they find evidence of exactly that, the resources should be focused on the threat that is readily apparent, instead of chasing a wild goose for the sake of Political Correctness.
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Brian » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:54 pm

Boba wrote:I think that it becomes a state power when the Federal government can not, or refuses to enforce the law and AZ citizens are dying.

No, not really. It's a federal power because the Constitution says it's a federal power. What's happening now is sad and pathetic, but that still doesn't make it a state issue.

Boba wrote:As for the profiling, I agree. But then 100% of hijackers since 9-11 have been Middleeastern men, between the ages of 20 and 45, yet I, my wife and son are subject to a vurtual strip search at the airport.

Racial profiling makes less sense to me in terrorism. Terrorists aren't idiots. They've already figured out how to recruit European-looking people to be in their recruitment videos and to plan terrorist acts (e.g., "Jihad Jane").

With immigration, racial profiling makes sense because the illegal immigrants all come from Mexico. Terrorism can, but doesn't always, have the same kind of racial restriction.

Brian
Site Admin

Postby Boba » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:36 pm

Brian wrote:
Boba wrote:I think that it becomes a state power when the Federal government can not, or refuses to enforce the law and AZ citizens are dying.

No, not really. It's a federal power because the Constitution says it's a federal power. What's happening now is sad and pathetic, but that still doesn't make it a state issue.

Boba wrote:As for the profiling, I agree. But then 100% of hijackers since 9-11 have been Middleeastern men, between the ages of 20 and 45, yet I, my wife and son are subject to a vurtual strip search at the airport.

Racial profiling makes less sense to me in terrorism. Terrorists aren't idiots. They've already figured out how to recruit European-looking people to be in their recruitment videos and to plan terrorist acts (e.g., "Jihad Jane").

With immigration, racial profiling makes sense because the illegal immigrants all come from Mexico. Terrorism can, but doesn't always, have the same kind of racial restriction.

I realize that the Constitution does not approve this action, however, the states requests for assistance have gone unanswered, and therefore they are trying to take care of it themselves. Can't really blame them.

As far as immigration, you must be a west coast person. Ask Frank who drives most of the taxi's and runs the 7-11's in New York. They are predominately Middleeastern men, between the ages of 20 and 45. Not all illegal, but many are..........Hummmmmmm.....
Boba
Contributor

Postby Brian » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:54 pm

Boba wrote:I realize that the Constitution does not approve this action, however, the states requests for assistance have gone unanswered, and therefore they are trying to take care of it themselves. Can't really blame them.

It's more than that the Constitution doesn't approve this action. The Constitution precludes this action. The Constitution is very clear on who has authority over immigration. Until it's addressed as an amendment, it's a federal issue, not a state issue -- regardless of how much we might want it otherwise.

Boba wrote:As far as immigration, you must be a west coast person. Ask Frank who drives most of the taxi's and runs the 7-11's in New York. They are predominately Middleeastern men, between the ages of 20 and 45. Not all illegal, but many are..........Hummmmmmm.....

I'm from NJ, so I know what you're talking about. But we're talking about Arizona, in this case. Illegal immigration over the ocean is much less common. In cases that happen on the East coast, it's much more likely that someone overstays their visa, rather than them sneaking over.

I have a friend in Russia. She wants to come over here, but what they make you go through to even get on a plane to come over to the U.S. is very legalistic. Trust me on this: Having an ocean between you and your target country means you're a lot less likely to get here illegally.

Brian
Site Admin

Postby 24HourNut » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:10 pm

Boba wrote:As far as immigration, you must be a west coast person. Ask Frank who drives most of the taxi's and runs the 7-11's in New York. They are predominately Middleeastern men, between the ages of 20 and 45. Not all illegal, but many are..........Hummmmmmm.....

What?
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby shimmy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:42 pm

Here is a link to the Gov. signing the bill/law
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36735281/ns/politics-more_politics/
shimmy
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Political Matters