NC Defines Marriage as One Man, One Woman

NC Defines Marriage as One Man, One Woman

Postby Brian » Wed May 09, 2012 12:11 pm

Curious to know what people think about this.

The surprising thing to me isn't that they banned same-sex marriage. The surprising thing to me is that the amendment goes *beyond* that and bans domestic partnerships and other forms of civil union, even between heterosexual couples.

I'm not in favor of such bans, but this one, in particular, seems excessive to me.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Re: NC Defines Marriage as One Man, One Woman

Postby Quicksilver » Fri May 11, 2012 4:41 am

I'm in favor of most of it.
However, friends should be able to enter into legal relationships that allow medical decisions, inheritance, and other powers (power of attorney, estate management, etc.).
Before every action and decision think of the consequences 7 generations into the future....Ute Rule of Life
Quicksilver

Re: NC Defines Marriage as One Man, One Woman

Postby Brian » Fri May 11, 2012 8:57 am

Quicksilver wrote:I'm in favor of most of it.
However, friends should be able to enter into legal relationships that allow medical decisions, inheritance, and other powers (power of attorney, estate management, etc.).

I think civil unions/domestic partnerships could handle most of the issues around same-sex marriage. It's basically the semantics that have people up in arms. But there's a difference between a marriage as a religious ceremony (which I think should be allowed to have its own religioius/moral requirements) and as a civil ceremony (which I don't thnk should).
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Return to Political Matters