Right Wingers Less Intelligent than left Wingers - Study

Re: Right Wingers Less Intelligent than left Wingers - Study

Postby Saint » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:56 pm

Brian wrote: Tolerance on the right (or what you might call tolerance) takes the form of "I don't care what race you are", while tolerance on the left takes the form of "These differences matter and should be celebrated". It's a different mindset..

That's a good way to put it, I haven't heard that before. BTW...I didn't write the survey. I just commented on what I've seen over the years that seems to imply the same. I remember a kid once that was so racist we had groups of insulted kids coming into the office asking permission to get rid of him by the end of his first day. Of course we called in the parents and when they arrived I wasn't too surprised to see the the father had a tattoo on his neck...of a swastika.
Saint

Postby Brian » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:03 pm

Saint wrote:
Brian wrote: Tolerance on the right (or what you might call tolerance) takes the form of "I don't care what race you are", while tolerance on the left takes the form of "These differences matter and should be celebrated". It's a different mindset..

That's a good way to put it, I haven't heard that before. BTW...I didn't write the survey. I just commented on what I've seen over the years that seems to imply the same. I remember a kid once that was so racist we had groups of insulted kids coming into the office asking permission to get rid of him by the end of his first day. Of course we called in the parents and when they arrived I wasn't too surprised to see the the father had a tattoo on his neck...of a swastika.

IMO, a kid like that should get the crap beaten out of him in school by the students he offends. Builds character and teaches an important life lesson. Wouldn't hurt if the same happened to his father, either.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Saint » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:45 pm

lol. Yeah, but of course we can't let any children be injured in our care if we can help it, even racist brats like that. That lesson served to remind me that racism is a learned behavior as well. Children aren't born racist.

And to mollify Mill, I fully understand that it is mostly the extreme right wing that exhibit these behaviors. The more moderate and centrist right wingers aren't that way at all. (Again, I believe education changes that dynamic.)
Saint

Postby Saint » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:47 pm

Oh, and Brian...your avatar is not prophetic or wishful anymore. Now it's retrospective! :woo:
Saint

Postby Quicksilver » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:16 pm

Brian wrote:I think racism is bipartisan. You can fit racism into either side of the ideological spectrum, if you have a mind to. It also depends on how you define "left" or "right", though. Certainly, there are people who vote Democratic who have racist agendas for their votes, just as there are people who are Republicans who do the same. The difference is that the right has (generally) a different way of talking about race than the left does. Tolerance on the right (or what you might call tolerance) takes the form of "I don't care what race you are", while tolerance on the left takes the form of "These differences matter and should be celebrated". It's a different mindset.

As far as intelligence, I think you can find intelligent people on both sides, and, again, it's a matter of definition. And from what I read in the article, it sounds to me like the authors of the study didn't even feign objectivity, so I don't know how much credence you can put in it.

I agree that the authors of the linked study in the first post didn't even pretend objectivity. The authors of the well researched 1993 book "The Bell Curve" were objective and still put down as racists by left wingnuts for telling the truth.
I don't see diversity of humans as something to celebrate. It is almost as if there are several species in one, unfortunately. It is truly unfortunate that the vast majority is too stupid, ignorant, selfish, greedy, crowd tolerant (an inbred negative ecological trait), and/or over-breeding, to live sustainably on this planet, or even understand the concept and think ahead of the welfare of future generations.
They take down those who are able to understand and live sustainably with them. Those of us who live green have all our efforts destroyed by them, the murderers of future generations of intelligent, strong, and better(evolutionally) humans who could have lived in sustained understanding harmony with the biosphere and each other.
The ones with swastika tatoos are just as bad as the bleeding heart over-compassionate and over-tolerant. The over-breeders are just as bad as the greedy polluters.
Overpopulation has been well known since the late 1960s and a Republican President is the only one who addressed Congress about it. The negative effects of global depletion and pollution have been known, and AGW especially, for at least 20 years, and nothing done by any side, of any real significance, to stop the population crash by mid century and the thermageddon ELE hundreds of years later. Root cause----human overpopulation, stupidity, and greed (in that order).
The USA, long ago, should have taken the lead in population quality and quantity control, and going to solar, wind, and GenIV power, sustainable agriculture, net pollution to zero, net depletion to zero, and a steady state ecological economy.
It is unfortunate that there is no party, or democratic way, that this will ever happen. Our children's children are condemned, along with most species. Sure, the Earth will be fine-------in 2 million years!!! Humans will not be here, when they could have been. :crybaby2: :cussing: :protest: :guitar1: :uzi:
:shock: :geek: :mrgreen:
Before every action and decision think of the consequences 7 generations into the future....Ute Rule of Life
Quicksilver

Previous

Return to Political Matters