[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
24hourforums.com • View topic - Why I Think the GOP Is Screwed

Why I Think the GOP Is Screwed

Why I Think the GOP Is Screwed

Postby Brian » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:17 am

Here's my problem with the current state of the Republican primaries:

<rant>

The GOP seems to be in the process of being overtaken by a group of people with a very specific set of religious beliefs. Now, religious beliefs are fine, but they don't win elections.

Here's the problem: Religious dogma doesn't (generally) change over time. Sure, there's tweaking here or there, but in general, they're fairly static, because they're based on eternal (from the standpoint of the people involved) truths (again from the standpoint of people involved). Politics, on the other hand, *isn't* based on eternal truths. It's based (at least, in democracies) on popular opinions and trends. So if your political party is stuck with a religious dogma that's not particularly popular today...

Well, you're boned.

That's where I see the party today, if they can't get the Santorums of the world off the stage. It's fine to have discussions about public policy and morals in general, but once you drag religion into it, you're never going to get anywhere. The type of piety Santorum is pushing isn't popular today, and he's not going to find a lot of people willing to follow him (except maybe on Twitter).

</rant>
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Why I Think the GOP Is Screwed

Postby Millennium » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:32 am

I have to disagree...the media would love for you to think the Republicans are all a bunch of Bible toting zealots, but that is just not the case. But, the MSM has an agenda to present the competition in a light that they feel will discredit and scare the general population. The BIGGEST problem facing the GOP is the utter ignorance of about 48% of the population that thinks the govt owes them something and the "rich" man doesn't deserve the money he works for...so, they vote for the one offering the handouts and "taking it from the man"...
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Brian » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:43 am

Brian
Site Admin

Postby Millennium » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:54 am

Santorum won't win....too many voters are out there like you and I when it comes to Santorum.
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Brian » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:37 pm

Brian
Site Admin

Postby Brian » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:51 pm

PETA is really an appalling organization. :cussing:

Brian
Site Admin

Postby Millennium » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:05 pm

Millennium
Contributor

Postby Brian » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:25 pm

I have no idea. I don't know how that got here. :dontknow:

:bigsmile:

Brian
Site Admin