[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
24hourforums.com • View topic - Freedom

Freedom

Re: Freedom

Postby Brian » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:02 am

"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby spot » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:46 am

spot

Postby Brian » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:04 am

Brian
Site Admin

Postby spot » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:24 am

In the UK it all falls under action likely to cause a breach of the peace, whether you're advocating violence or not. You can demand a jury if you're prosecuted, and the jury tends to throw out the case if they think it's undue police interference. Placards reading repatriate all immigrants and their families who arrived since since 1948 gets a fair hearing, England for the English is okay, Islam = Satan isn't.

There's also a Racial And Religious Hatred law here under which "A person who uses threatening words or behaviour, or displays any written material which is threatening, is guilty of an offence if he intends thereby to stir up religious hatred." an attempted prosecution under it. There hasn't been a successful case so far.
spot

Postby Brian » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:50 pm

Brian
Site Admin

Postby spot » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:53 pm

spot

Postby Brian » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:52 pm

Brian
Site Admin

Postby Wolverine » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:02 am

i think some of your ideas about "freedom" are too literal. yelling "FIRE" in a crowded theater when there isn't one... is just plain stupid. it can incite panic, people can get hurt. it's common sense NOT to say that.
to have order in a civilazation, the people of that society have to agree to give up some of their perceived "freedoms." otherwise you'd have anarchy and chaos; you can't gut your neighbor because he called you a dirty word.

my idea of "freedom" is probably overly simple. to me it's being able to pack a bag and go stay a day or two(or more) with my sister, my folks, close friends. or going into the woods for a couple hours for a hike or a week long excursion. my idea of freedom is being able to go where i want(within reason: not going to the moon obviously), when i want(again within reason: have to take time off from a job I chose to have). i don't need permission or a "hall pass" to travel all over the country.
i can criticize political figures and question their decisions or character.
nothing says "I LOVE YOU" like sex in the morning.
Wolverine

Previous

Return to Political Matters