[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
24hourforums.com • View topic - One more reason I'm not a GOP member...

One more reason I'm not a GOP member...

Re: One more reason I'm not a GOP member...

Postby Brian » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:53 am

"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby sirlamre » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:24 pm

For those who commented earlier --
I'm NOT giving the Dems a pass on this either --

I'm not a Democrat and never will be.

But I'm targeting the GOP at this moment because THEY are the ones that are trying to keep things in the dark.

I'd be JUST as fast to target the Dems and I'd say exactly the same things, if they were the ones opposing this bill.

Moving on from that...

Brian --

I think there's a primary difference between the actions of a journalist and the actions of a corporation funding an attack ad.

That difference is that the journalist DOES put his name on the piece he writes --
And he's protected from lawsuits for doing it- IF the information he puts out is found to be accurate and true -- ie, not libelous or slanderous.

Just recently, Sherrod has annouced that she will be suing the blogger who started the libelous blog.

That's going to be a litmus test -- if she wins that, and I think she should and likely will,
she'll essentially be proving that libel CAN be a misrepresentation of known facts, or selectivising of facts.
(I'm probably not saying that quite right..)

Let's look at two examples:

I'm a State Representative running for the US Senate office in my state.

example 1: the authors of an attack ad point out that back five years ago, I voted against paying for more police.
No inaccurate facts here -- I DID in fact vote against it.
I get to explain that the reason I did that was because the language of the current measure increased the Chief's salary to $2million. I wanted only to increase the pay for regular patrol officers.

But all they're saying is that I voted "against supporting law enforcement"

example 2: An attack ad claims that I support the war in Iraq, and says that I'm an anti-peace hawk who wants to invade countries left and right, and overthrow governments, and that I've been responsible for the destruction of the lives of people around the world. They hint that I've been involved with oversight of military adventures, because I was on the Armed Forces Committee.

But I never did anything but say one time that I thought Saddam should be removed, and I voted
yes on a bill to fund veterans affairs.

In this case, they're making claims that I did and said things I didn't, and they're taking my words out of context.

In BOTH of those cases, the difference between the PAC and the journalist is that the journalist IS putting his name where his mouth is.

In the SECOND case, I think yes, I should be able to sue the PAC, and try to show that they were taking bits and pieces of my words and drawing pictures and conclusions that weren't true,
just like Sherrod is going to sue that blogger for editing video to make for a difference in perception than what she really said and meant.

Under your logic -- I should be able to print up flyers saying that Brian is a fag and a rotten site admin, and that 24 hour forums is garbage and everyone should leave.
I should be able to airdrop those flyers at all kinds of computer conventions and clubs, and post that info all over Facebook and Twitter --- without ever once revealing my name.

You get no defense at all -- other than trying to reverse the damage to your reputation - I get to be completely anonymous, and you are not allowed to sue me at all.
sirlamre

Postby Brian » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:38 pm

Brian
Site Admin

Postby sirlamre » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:02 pm

sirlamre

Postby Brian » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:28 pm

Brian
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Political Matters