So why not just let foreign born citizens be president?

So why not just let foreign born citizens be president?

Postby Marie5656 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:01 pm

What do you think of letting foreign born citizens be president? I think this was discussed at length on the old forum, but I figured I would start it again. I look at it this way...Back in the day...all "American's" were foreign born...when we first came over here. I know there has been talk of loyalty and all. But if someone came here as a child, or young adult and became a US citizen, then why not?

I am also thinking of, in recent years, so many foreign born children have been adopted by US parents..some as infants. They know no other citizenship but this one..but by virtue of the Constitution, they can NEVER run for president. Is that really right?
Marie5656
Global Moderator

Re: So why not just let foreign born citizens be president?

Postby Brian » Wed May 19, 2010 12:13 pm

Marie5656 wrote:What do you think of letting foreign born citizens be president? I think this was discussed at length on the old forum, but I figured I would start it again. I look at it this way...Back in the day...all "American's" were foreign born...when we first came over here. I know there has been talk of loyalty and all. But if someone came here as a child, or young adult and became a US citizen, then why not?

I am also thinking of, in recent years, so many foreign born children have been adopted by US parents..some as infants. They know no other citizenship but this one..but by virtue of the Constitution, they can NEVER run for president. Is that really right?

I'm no expert on the subject, but I think the original idea was that a foreign-born person would have divided loyalties. Look at it this way: If someone not born here could be president, what's stopping one of Bin Laden's henchmen from hopping on a plane, living here for a while, and then mounting a campaign for office (even if it's not initially for president)? Now, it makes less sense than it did when the constitution was written, because we have instant global communication, and you can't know where a person's influences are really coming from, but it's probably still a good safeguard, generally. Someone who runs for president should be fully invested in the American way of life, in a way a foreign-born person might not be able to be.

Of course, to your point, I could see an changing the requirement to having to attain citizenship before a certain age (say, 5).
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Marie5656 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:21 pm

[quote="Brian

Of course, to your point, I could see an changing the requirement to having to attain citizenship before a certain age (say, 5).[/quote]

Yeah, that is what I was thinking to, have there either be a minimum age requirement of citizenship..or a requirement that the person have been a citizen for a certain number of years prior to their 35th birthday, something like that,
Marie5656
Global Moderator

Postby Cynicalninja » Wed May 19, 2010 12:53 pm

I think that rule goes way back to the birth of America as an independent nation, having an American president who is an American is no guarantee that that person necessarily has America's best interests at heart. I would have a British minister who was an Eskimo if I agreed with their policies and thought they were a good candidate for the post. I think in this growingly global world village insisting that your leader must be a natural born citizen of your country is perhaps a bit old fashioned and blinkered.

But then I'm not an tax paying American citizen so my opinion is worthless.
Space to let for non-antagonistic signature.
Cynicalninja

Postby Brian » Wed May 19, 2010 1:11 pm

Cynicalninja wrote:I think that rule goes way back to the birth of America as an independent nation, having an American president who is an American is no guarantee that that person necessarily has America's best interests at heart. I would have a British minister who was an Eskimo if I agreed with their policies and thought they were a good candidate for the post. I think in this growingly global world village insisting that your leader must be a natural born citizen of your country is perhaps a bit old fashioned and blinkered.

But then I'm not an tax paying American citizen so my opinion is worthless.

No opinion is worthless here. :) What counts is whether or not you refrain from talking out of your ass. :D

As to your point, though: I think it's more likely that someone who was born in a given country would have more understanding of and affection for that country than someone who came there after living their formative years somewhere else. That's not to say that immigrants can't or don't love their new country, but if you've already lived somewhere else, the idea of you just picking up and moving somewhere else if you screw things up too badly becomes more plausible (I think).
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Return to Political Matters