This makes me disgusted...

Re: This makes me disgusted...

Postby Millennium » Sun May 23, 2010 4:28 pm

24HourNut wrote:
Millennium wrote:
24HourNut wrote:Everyone relax, I'm here now to straighten anyone out who needs straightening. For example, if you think gay marriage is immoral, I can straighten you out. Just sayin, that was a fast example off the top of my head.

So much anger and personal BS, it's amazing.

Wait, was is the topic here?

The topic was about the speaking engagement money Bristol was hoping to receive..I was trying to get Sirlamre to respond as to who he thinks should set moral standards, but those standards will never be the same for everyone.

As you can see, Sirlamre and I have different views, but they are not the views one would expect form either of us.

Oh ... the daughter of that religious moron whacko Palin. Yeah, I find it ridiculous to see her paid good money to talk. It's a sign of how people can be star stuck and stupid.

No doubt....Hollywood is full of them.
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Brian » Sun May 23, 2010 5:58 pm

24HourNut wrote:Oh ... the daughter of that religious moron whacko Palin. Yeah, I find it ridiculous to see her paid good money to talk. It's a sign of how people can be star stuck and stupid.

Unless something really unusual happens, I think Palin and her daughter won't command very high speaking fees for very much longer. I don't see her political star rising again. She's made herself into an idealogue, but she hasn't rehabilitated herself intellectually, as far as I can tell.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Millennium » Sun May 23, 2010 6:46 pm

Brian wrote:
24HourNut wrote:Oh ... the daughter of that religious moron whacko Palin. Yeah, I find it ridiculous to see her paid good money to talk. It's a sign of how people can be star stuck and stupid.

Unless something really unusual happens, I think Palin and her daughter won't command very high speaking fees for very much longer. I don't see her political star rising again. She's made herself into an idealogue, but she hasn't rehabilitated herself intellectually, as far as I can tell.

I agree.....I think after this elections cycle she will still be on the tour, but by 2012, I think she'll have used her drawing power.
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby sirlamre » Mon May 24, 2010 12:45 am

Millennium wrote:I see, and I agree.....but I disagree with your stand on abortion, your stand on gay marriage, I agree with your stand on sex before marriage, especially children.

If parents are responsible for the morals of children, then what do you do about the morals that are being taught in the schools, where I can promise you some go against what you believe.

Well, keep in mind that abortion in particular isn't a black and white issue ---
There are quite a few scenarios in which I do support abortion.
I'm not one of those people who says a woman with major medical issues who is pregnant should give birth to a deformed vegetable of a child who will never lead a life of any quality.

I'm just solidly in the camp of "abortion is not a form of birth control for people with no self-control and ability to think ahead"
A child shouldn't die just because you and your partner can't be bothered to make a trip to the drugstore first.

Millennium wrote:

Now, back to Bristol..Nobody I know is proud of her mistake, nobody I know would pay to see her speak, and I really doubt that she'll make a living doing what she is planning. The thing is, in America, she has the right to try, and the market will decide if she is successful. I hope she fails, and I suspect she will.

But, that being said, I still think a person that has made the mistake, is a better person to speak to their peers than some priest or other figure that has never been down that road.

I agree with you about the best person to speak should be the one who made the mistake --
I still think it's seriously stupid that she should be PAID for this, as opposed to it being moral community service (if not judicially imposed, which I also see as not feasible)

I agree that it'll probably fail in the end -- as do all business ventures sooner or later --

But this is one that's so incredibly stupid that I think it'd be a waste of everyone's money if she got any out of the FIRST speaking engagement.

And the fact that they're saying "Bristol will be speaking" rather than "Bristol woud like to", and "will be" paid $15,000+ each time
indicates to me that there are some conservative speaking tour professionals who actually DO want to take a financial
risk and put her out there -- feeling that they'll get their investment in her back, plus be able to pay her $15,000.

That means that the Palin-supporters HAVE tapped into some sources that WILL pay.
Those folks are enough of professionals to not do something like this based on total guesswork of
potential profits.
They KNOW that they're going to get money --- enough to where it's not an obvious
total loss, or they'd not be considering it.

They'll get probably $150,000 out of a couple of speaking engagements, at the very least.
(did you really think Bristol would get more than chump change percentages of the take at an event?)

That's why I consider this a TOTAL waste of people's money. Again, money, not time.
Bristol SHOULD be going and talking --- for FREE.
And people shouldn't be charged to come hear it -- they should be giving the presentation for free so that people will COME to it.

Turning stupidity on the part of a teenager into a huge profit-mongering event is just overwhelming evidence of just how F&^KED up
America has become.

And this time, it ain't even the liberals being so insanely stupid.

Conservatives should be smarter than that.
If they were, we wouldn't have to worry about liberals.
sirlamre

Postby 24HourNut » Mon May 24, 2010 7:09 am

I don't think there is something wrong with her getting paid a lot of money if that is what people are willing to spend. The free and open market should decide what someone gets paid for something like that. If I don't like how much she is getting paid, that's too bad on me.
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby Millennium » Mon May 24, 2010 8:20 am

24HourNut wrote:I don't think there is something wrong with her getting paid a lot of money if that is what people are willing to spend. The free and open market should decide what someone gets paid for something like that. If I don't like how much she is getting paid, that's too bad on me.

That's what I feel...if the market is there, so be it...it's like the guy that developed the Chia pet crap...He's a damn millionaire marketing that BS Only in America. :dontknow:
Millennium
Contributor

Postby 24HourNut » Mon May 24, 2010 9:52 am

sirlamre wrote:Looks like we need some controls placed on this too -- just like we couldn't rely upon the business market not to push books by felons like Ken Lay onto the bookshelves; now we can't trust the public speaking market to have enough morality and common sense to be above making Bristol Palin into a celebrity.

That's ridiculous. What are you, a Communist or something? Controls placed upon how much I, or a company, can pay someone to speak about something I want them to speak about? We aren't talking about someone in jail - we are talking about a free citizen able to make contracts and get paid whatever someone is willing to pay them. You don't need to come in with some "controls" even if a billionaire wants to pay her a billion dollars. It's just none of our business. It's my business, not yours or anyone else, if I get paid one million dollars an hour to talk about my feelings about butterflies, pregnancy, or anything. If people don't want to hear her speak or her fee is not profitable or worth it for the person paying her, she will not get that much money. As much as I think she is overpaid, I also think lots of people are overpaid, from actors on TV shows to baseball players. But "overpaid" is a subjective and self-centered feeling, not a rule or law I would want imposed on others. That goes way too far against the grain of freedom and it's none of our business. A private deal is a private deal when it comes to things like people giving talks or running seminars.

Stop with this extreme and silly "limit their pay" BS that is anti-freedom, anti-free market, and wrong.
24HourNut
Contributor

Previous

Return to Political Matters