This makes me disgusted...

This makes me disgusted...

Postby sirlamre » Tue May 18, 2010 10:29 pm

What the heck is America coming to??

I'm supportive of Bristol's reformed thinking on teen abstinence, now that she's a statistic of the single moms who had babies while still in grade school ---
but WHY do all the conservatives want her to be some kind of public-speaking superstar, merely because her mother was a short-time celebrity?
(You know it ain't the liberals who have any interest in Bristol)

This is shallow celebrity-centric admiration at it's absolute WORST.

Yes -- she should be all about teen abstinence now. She's done a very stupid very bad thing, and she should be ashamed.
They should be ashamed to think of making someone like this a celebrity and paying them tens of thousands of dollars to go and speak about their mistake.
Heck, I'd support the idea that pregnant teens be required to do speaking tours or public "I screwed up and you shouldn't do what I did"
as judge-ordered COMMUNITY SERVICE, not as some sort of a highly rewarding and well paid career...

Back in the good old days, when America was a more moral and ethical place, parents of a child who'd gotten pregnant would have been
ensuring that it was kept quiet and out of the news.

What's next? Is Senator Craig going to get paid millions for going on a speaking tour and starting a "group" for people to learn about
why children shouldn't follow his lead and give gay-pickup signals to other men in a public bathroom?

Getting PAID amounts of money for EACH speaking engagement equivalent to the entire yearly income for many American families
is BS at it's highest.

" Bristol Palin recently told PEOPLE that being a single mother was financially difficult for her. Well, this should help a little.

Palin, 19, the daughter of former Alaska governor Sarah Palin, is set to join the speaker circuit and stands to make between $15,000 and $30,000 per speech, RadarOnline reports.

Palin became an teen-abstinence advocate after giving birth to a son, Tripp, 16 months ago.

"Her teen pregnancy and the birth of her son Tripp resulted in millions of Americans discussing the issues surrounding teen pregnancy," reads her bio at Single Source Speakers. "Bristol has since gone on to become a Teen Ambassador for the Candie's Foundation, and speaks about pregnancy prevention, abstinence, faith and life."

In a PEOPLE cover story a year ago, Palin warned teens about how hard it is to be a mother at a young age. "Girls need to imagine and picture their life with a screaming newborn baby and then think before they have sex," she said. "Think about the consequences."

She said much the same thing in a PSA this year for the Candie's Foundation.
"
sirlamre

Re: This makes me disgusted...

Postby Marie5656 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:43 pm

What irks me is the amount of money she is asking. I mean, she is not exactly some sort of "expert"...being a single teen parent does not make you an expert at speaking to other teens. And if she really wanted to get her point across, why not do it for free? Sounds like she just wants some easy cash, especially since she and Jethro (or whatever the baby daddy name is) are not together.
Marie5656
Global Moderator

Postby Millennium » Tue May 18, 2010 11:16 pm

Ex-cons go around and tell kids to stay in school and don't do the crime, reformed drug abusers go around and tell kids to not do drugs...What's the fraking big deal? This is done all the time, by a lot worse characters.
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Cynicalninja » Wed May 19, 2010 7:08 am

A teenager mother is the last person I would want lecturing my daughter about abstinence.

This is yet more Conservative rank hypocrisy at it's worst.

"Don't do as I do, do as I say".
Space to let for non-antagonistic signature.
Cynicalninja

Postby Linnea » Wed May 19, 2010 7:16 am

Kind of like a convict that suddenly finds Jesus once they've been caught.
Support mental health care... or I'll kill you.Image
Linnea
Contributor

Postby 24HourNut » Wed May 19, 2010 8:49 am

Linnea wrote:Kind of like a convict that suddenly finds Jesus once they've been caught.

Exactly ... and born agains that get saved after drug abuse, criminal records, etc. I saw a show once where they made a teenage girl take care of this programmed baby for a few days. I thought that was a great deterrent. She couldn't go out with friends, was always tired, etc.
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby Cynicalninja » Wed May 19, 2010 9:40 am

Yes, a better deterrent than being lectured to by a teenage mother.
Space to let for non-antagonistic signature.
Cynicalninja

Postby MADNOTBAD » Wed May 19, 2010 12:34 pm

America Is not alone In this sort of carry on. Thanks to Noooooooooo Labour, Tony Blair, Hariet Harmen and the rest of the Bleeding heart liberals of England, pregnant teenagers have taken rank over our pensioners who fought In wars and paid taxes all their life but Oh boy are they In for a surprise now we have Cameron as Prime Minister.
We have had years of giving all the benifits and free housing to teenage single mothers while Pensioners went cold.
The big differnece to me In this country today and how It was even 20 years ago Is that we have always had teenage pregnancy but 20 years ago, It was the families burden. The family would muck In and the they wouldn't dream of expecting benifits and free housing. Here, we see families In large houses and good Incomes putting their pregnant teenager daughter In the hands of SS because that way, the daughter gets all the free benifits and qualifies for free housing when Infact, the parents are well off enough to take care of the teenage daughter and child. The benifit system In this country was Introduced for the genuine needy and war victems and widows. Now, Billions are paid out to teenage mothers who have never contributed a penny to their country. SS's are over-stretched because many teenagers do not cope with their children. Britian has the highest teenage pregnancy rate In Europe. We can blame a lck of morality but when you have a government who has handed over benifits at the drop of the hat to any 14 year old coming pregnant, It has bred a Nation of the Idle and the reckless.
MADNOTBAD

Postby sirlamre » Wed May 19, 2010 12:40 pm

Millennium wrote:Ex-cons go around and tell kids to stay in school and don't do the crime, reformed drug abusers go around and tell kids to not do drugs...What's the fraking big deal? This is done all the time, by a lot worse characters.

Ex-cons and drug abusers don't get paid $30,000 EACH time they open their mouths to talk about how stupid they were.

A lot of them are in a community service program, doing it because a judge gave them a reduced sentence in return for for public speaking.
They may have their expenses (a cheap per diem) covered for appearing, but they certainly don't make enough to LIVE ON
off their talks at juvenile centers.

$30,000 dollars a dozen times or more per year is the difference, and that's a BIG difference.
(the average speaking tour is about a dozen appearances, based on some Googles of speaking tours)

No one should make upwards of $350,000 or $400,000 a year for talking about making a mistake

It's the same as the other ex-cons who write best seller books about their crimes, though I think they've put a stop to those shenanigans now
by at least making it impossible for them to make hundreds of thousands while in jail.

Looks like we need some controls placed on this too -- just like we couldn't rely upon the business market not to push books by felons like Ken Lay onto the bookshelves; now we can't trust the public speaking market to have enough morality and common sense to be above making Bristol Palin into a celebrity.
sirlamre

Postby sirlamre » Wed May 19, 2010 12:43 pm

MADNOTBAD wrote:The big differnece to me In this country today and how It was even 20 years ago Is that we have always had teenage pregnancy but 20 years ago, It was the families burden. The family would muck In and the they wouldn't dream of expecting benifits and free housing.

Yup --- Bristol is going to make out like a bandit, all because her mother has pretty looks and political connections.

50 years ago, when America had morals, this would have destroyed Sarah's alleged political career.
She'd have ABSOLUTELY kept silent about this and tried to keep it out of public view.

Instead, in the world of the anti-Reagan conservatives today, you come OUT and you talk about it, and you get $$$ MONEY $$$ from your supporters for it.
(You know it ain't gonna be any liberals that pay up to go hear Bristol talk -- it'll all be conservative Religious Right and family-oriented political folks that will go pay attention to her)

Sheesh...
sirlamre

Next

Return to Political Matters