"Birthers" get a knock back by Hawaii Gov.

"Birthers" get a knock back by Hawaii Gov.

Postby Marie5656 » Fri May 14, 2010 11:15 am

TRENDING: Hawaii can ignore repeated requests for pres. birth certificatePosted: May 14th, 2010 04:35 AM ET

From CNN Political Producer Shannon Travis

President Obama’s certification of live birth.
Washington (CNN) - Hawaii would like for so-called "birthers" to stop asking to see President Obama's birth certificate.

The state passed a law on Wednesday that allows state agencies to ignore repeated requests to view government records, including the president's birth document. Hawaii's Republican Gov. Linda Lingle signed the legislation into law.

This will impact requests from a fringe movement dubbed the "birthers." Adherents question President Obama's constitutional eligibility to be commander-in-chief, suggesting he was not born in the United States despite proof that he was born in Hawaii in 1961. CNN and other news organizations have thoroughly debunked the rumors about the president's birthplace.

Hawaii has released a copy of the president’s birth certificate – officially called a “certificate of live birth” – and the hospital took out ads in two Hawaiian newspapers announcing the 1961 birth.

But adherents to the “birther” theories persist. Army surgeon Lt. Col. Terry Lakin subscribes to the “birther” theory and faces a court martial for refusing to deploy to Afghanistan unless the president shows his birth certificate. He disputes that the Hawaii birth certificate is real.

“I believe we need truth on this matter,” he said in an interview earlier this week on CNN’s Anderson Cooper 360.

In recent testimony to a state senate panel considering the new law, Hawaii Director of Health Chiyome L. Fukino said her office receives about 50 emails a month requesting access to the president's birth certificate.

Fukino cited a small group of individuals "who engage in a pattern of repeated requests" in a transcript of her testimony provided to CNN. "We believe having to respond repeatedly to essentially the same request or a variation of the request all centering on whether or not President Obama was born in Hawaii is a frivolous use of department time and resources."

And in a recent WABC interview before she signed the bill, Hawaii's Republican governor said the birth certificate issue “is simply a distraction from the more critical issues that are facing the country.”

“And so I had my health director, who is a physician by background, go personally view the birth certificate in the birth records of the Department of Health,” Lingle said. “ … The president was in fact born at Kapi'olani Hospital in Honolulu, Hawaii. And that's just a fact. And yet people continue to call up and email and want to make it an issue. And I think it's, again, a horrible distraction for the country by those people who continue this."

"It's been established he was born here,” the governor added. “I can understand why people want to make certain that the constitutional requirement of being a, you know, natural born American citizen … but the question has been asked and answered. And I think just we should all move on now."
Marie5656
Global Moderator

Re: "Birthers" get a knock back by Hawaii Gov.

Postby 24HourNut » Fri May 14, 2010 11:38 am

Why won't they just show a copy of the original real birth certificate to end this, instead of just the certificate of live birth?
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby Marie5656 » Fri May 14, 2010 11:40 am

24HourNut wrote:Why won't they just show a copy of the original real birth certificate to end this, instead of just the certificate of live birth?

It is right here in the article: Hawaii has released a copy of the president’s birth certificate – officially called a “certificate of live birth”
Marie5656
Global Moderator

Postby 24HourNut » Fri May 14, 2010 11:43 am

The certificate of live birth is not the actual birth certificate. It's a document drawn from it.
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby Librtyhead » Fri May 14, 2010 12:39 pm

“And so I had my health director, who is a physician by background, go personally view the birth certificate in the birth records of the Department of Health,” Lingle said

OK ..........make the document public then. What is the big deal? He just said they have it. Every other president or candidate has produced one.
Librtyhead

Postby Marie5656 » Fri May 14, 2010 1:11 pm

I hink what they are getting it is question asked and answered..time to move on to more important things like letting him run the damn country.
Marie5656
Global Moderator

Postby Boba » Fri May 14, 2010 1:35 pm

Marie5656 wrote:I hink what they are getting it is question asked and answered..time to move on to more important things like letting him run the damn country.

I agree 100%. So, in the interest of making this happen, just post it and it all goes away. Kind of makes you wonder what is on it that he doesn't want people to see. I'm kind of thinking it is "Religion". Just my guess, but don't most birth certificates list religion?
Boba
Contributor

Postby Brian » Fri May 14, 2010 1:45 pm

There are issues of personal privacy involved. It would set a terrible precedent to be able to just walk into the offices of the Department of Health and demand to see someone's birth certificate. While Obama himself might not have an expectation to that kind of privacy, what about any other person whom people might want to dig up dirt on? And to make matters worse, this request for the birth certificate is completely frivolous. All the documents a reasonable human being would need to see to confirm his birth status have already been presented. The birthers are either imbeciles or intentionally trying to be pains in the ass.

As to the question of religion: Does it really matter what religion his birth certificate lists? I'm pretty sure he didn't bow towards Mecca to pray when he popped out of his mother's womb. (And that's assuming that his religion is important at all, which it shouldn't be.)
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Librtyhead » Fri May 14, 2010 2:15 pm

If I am elected President ........I promise to show mine. :angelg:
Librtyhead

Postby Boba » Fri May 14, 2010 5:10 pm

Brian wrote:There are issues of personal privacy involved. It would set a terrible precedent to be able to just walk into the offices of the Department of Health and demand to see someone's birth certificate. While Obama himself might not have an expectation to that kind of privacy, what about any other person whom people might want to dig up dirt on? And to make matters worse, this request for the birth certificate is completely frivolous. All the documents a reasonable human being would need to see to confirm his birth status have already been presented. The birthers are either imbeciles or intentionally trying to be pains in the ass.

As to the question of religion: Does it really matter what religion his birth certificate lists? I'm pretty sure he didn't bow towards Mecca to pray when he popped out of his mother's womb. (And that's assuming that his religion is important at all, which it shouldn't be.)

Concerning the privacy issue, I agree. No one should be able to go get this type of document on someone else. However, this is the president of the United States, it is a job REQUIREMENT. Therefore, he himself should release it. Why not?

As far as religon, At this point, no, it doesn't matter, I never said it did, but I do believe that is what he is trying to cover up.
Boba
Contributor

Next

Return to Political Matters