Elena Kagan Nominated to Supreme Court

Re: Elena Kagan Nominated to Supreme Court

Postby Cynicalninja » Mon May 10, 2010 3:05 pm

Millennium wrote:If you can't defend her.


From what I can see I don't have to defend her, you say her lack of court experience will count against her, I say only time will tell because as LC points out there have been more than competent appointees before that had little or no court experience. A point you have so far conveniently ignored.
Space to let for non-antagonistic signature.
User avatar
Cynicalninja
 
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:35 am
Location: England's green and pleasant land.

Re: Elena Kagan Nominated to Supreme Court

Postby Brian » Mon May 10, 2010 3:14 pm

Court experience doesn't necessarily mean everything. However, Harriet Miers was blocked for similar concerns. It's a given that the same kind of opposition will arise to Kagan.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
User avatar
Brian
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1913
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: Elena Kagan Nominated to Supreme Court

Postby Millennium » Mon May 10, 2010 3:24 pm

Cynicalninja wrote:
Millennium wrote:If you can't defend her.


From what I can see I don't have to defend her, you say her lack of court experience will count against her, I say only time will tell because as LC points out there have been more than competent appointees before that had little or no court experience. A point you have so far conveniently ignored.



I haven't ignored it, in the case of those examples they were lawyers and involved in the court system for years and years...

Powell:
Powell was a partner for over a quarter of a century at Hunton, Williams, Gay, Powell and Gibson, a large Virginia law firm, with its primary office in Richmond (now known as Hunton & Williams LLP). Powell practiced primarily in the areas of corporate law (especially in the field of mergers and acquisitions) and in railway litigation law.

Sounds to me, they're pretty familiar with the law and the courts.
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
User avatar
Millennium
Contributor
 
Posts: 1221
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:11 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Elena Kagan Nominated to Supreme Court

Postby sirlamre » Tue May 11, 2010 9:09 am

Millennium wrote:
Cynicalninja wrote:So Obama picked her because she is Jewish and (allegedly) gay?

I don't believe that.



OK...Then why did he pick someone so obviously unqualified for the position?



In today's partisan driven world, I don't think ANY President would put his REAL first choice on the table to begin with, knowing that 200 members of the opposing Party,
sure as the sun rises, are desperate to score political points and TV/microphone time by automatically shooting the plans of the President and any other member of the opposite Party.

Neither Party even ONCE in the last 6-7 Administrations has allowed a President from the other Party to simply nominate a SCOTUS member
without taking the opportunity to use the situation for political BS and grandstanding and making stupid statements to the media.

Bush put his own WH lawyer, with similar legal experience and NO judicial time out there as a SCOTUS appointee -- she got shot down, as expected.

I think Obama is doing the same thing -- burning up GOP ammunition and giving the grandstanders and big mouths in the GOP some time to appear before the media bashing his choice,
and when she decides not to run after the GOP bashing she takes,
then he rolls out who he had in mind all along.

Just the same exact think that Bush did with his own personal lawyer...
sirlamre
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:07 pm

Re: Elena Kagan Nominated to Supreme Court

Postby sirlamre » Tue May 11, 2010 2:11 pm

Cynicalninja wrote:
lady cop wrote:never set foot in courtroom as attny. of record?

Kagan has argued six cases before the Supreme Court in 2010


Please don't spoil yet another anti Obama rant from Mill with facts.

Obama could appoint Atticus Finch and Mill would still inevitably find fault.

If they announced "Obama defecates in toilet" Mill would go "bad move, he should have crapped his pants instead".



I'd love to see what Mill would be saying about McCain by now --- given the some of the stupidity the man has displayed since.
He has totally lost the support of most of the GOP, waffling back and forth between "I'm a GOP conservative" and "I'm a rebel without a cause and I can't figure out who I am"

Mill never showed ANY interest in voting third -- he was fully against any Dem, and never supported any third candidate in more than offhanded comments.

So he'd have to have supported McCain -- and I doubt you'd end up looking any better now with McIdiot doing things than we are with Obama.

Mill's just lucky that the other guy won so that he has some room to talk, that's all...
sirlamre
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:07 pm

Re: Elena Kagan Nominated to Supreme Court

Postby Millennium » Tue May 11, 2010 8:28 pm

sirlamre wrote:
Cynicalninja wrote:
lady cop wrote:never set foot in courtroom as attny. of record?

Kagan has argued six cases before the Supreme Court in 2010


Please don't spoil yet another anti Obama rant from Mill with facts.

Obama could appoint Atticus Finch and Mill would still inevitably find fault.

If they announced "Obama defecates in toilet" Mill would go "bad move, he should have crapped his pants instead".



I'd love to see what Mill would be saying about McCain by now --- given the some of the stupidity the man has displayed since.
He has totally lost the support of most of the GOP, waffling back and forth between "I'm a GOP conservative" and "I'm a rebel without a cause and I can't figure out who I am"

Mill never showed ANY interest in voting third -- he was fully against any Dem, and never supported any third candidate in more than offhanded comments.

So he'd have to have supported McCain -- and I doubt you'd end up looking any better now with McIdiot doing things than we are with Obama.

Mill's just lucky that the other guy won so that he has some room to talk, that's all...



To correct you, I would love to vote 3rd party...just give me someone that :
A. Has a chance to win after the nominations
B. Doesn't come off as a damn idiot.

But..........I'm "Lucky the other guy won?"...That's odd...I'm pretty sure not many in America feel, they're "lucky the other guy won"...As bad as McCain is, and he is bad, he's still the lessor of the two evils.


Now....again...back on topic...

Did any of you see the closed interview done by the Obama admin?.....Good way to do it, that way not a damn soul can ask a question..Transparency at it's worst.


White House Interview Riles Reporters:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162- ... 03544.html
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
User avatar
Millennium
Contributor
 
Posts: 1221
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:11 pm
Location: Georgia

Previous

Return to Political Matters

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron