Elena Kagan Nominated to Supreme Court

Re: Elena Kagan Nominated to Supreme Court

Postby Millennium » Mon May 10, 2010 1:30 pm

I do like this attitude though:

Defining Combatants

During her confirmation hearing for solicitor general, Ms. Kagan agreed with a questioner that someone suspected of helping to finance Al Qaeda should be subject to battlefield law — indefinite detention without a trial — even if he were captured in a place like the Philippines rather than in a physical battle zone
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Millennium » Mon May 10, 2010 1:32 pm

This:

Abortion

During her confirmation for solicitor general, Ms. Kagan said she would respect laws and precedent regarding abortion rights.
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Millennium » Mon May 10, 2010 1:33 pm

Same-Sex Marriage

As part of her confirmation for Solicitor General, Ms. Kagan was asked whether she would defend the constitutionality of the Defense of Marriage Act, which said that states need not recognize same-sex marriages performed in other states. Ms. Kagan’s said, as solicitor general, she would defend any acts “if there is any reasonable basis to do so.” She noted this was “a low bar for a statute to climb over.”

"“There is no federal constitutional right to same-sex marriage.” ~ Kagen
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Millennium » Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

lady cop wrote:never set foot in courtroom as attny. of record?

Kagan has argued six cases before the Supreme Court in 2010

"Since she was confirmed as solicitor general on March 19, 2009, Kagan has argued six cases before the Supreme Court. The court has yet to announce how it will rule in four of the cases, while the government won one case and lost one. The win was Salazar v. Buono, which allowed a large cross to remain at the Mojave National Preserve."
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Cynicalninja » Mon May 10, 2010 2:02 pm

Millennium wrote:
Cynicalninja wrote:

Please don't spoil yet another anti Obama rant from Mill with facts.

Obama could appoint Atticus Finch and Mill would still inevitably find fault.

This has to do with Kagen and her qualifications...If you don't understand that, then please don't bother to try to take this off topic...Fair enough?

And, as you told me in a thread about Kazoo..."This is none of your concern".. Clearer now?

I am just pointing out the fact that Obama can do NO right as far as you are concerned.

You were against this appointment before you even knew who was being appointed.
Space to let for non-antagonistic signature.
Cynicalninja

Postby Millennium » Mon May 10, 2010 2:19 pm

Cynicalninja wrote:
Millennium wrote:
Cynicalninja wrote:

Please don't spoil yet another anti Obama rant from Mill with facts.

Obama could appoint Atticus Finch and Mill would still inevitably find fault.

This has to do with Kagen and her qualifications...If you don't understand that, then please don't bother to try to take this off topic...Fair enough?

And, as you told me in a thread about Kazoo..."This is none of your concern".. Clearer now?

I am just pointing out the fact that Obama can do NO right as far as you are concerned.

You were against this appointment before you even knew who was being appointed.

No, I wasn't, and you're not a mind reader so quit trying.. Some of her opinions I am fine with, I just think there are more experienced people out there with the same ideals as hers.

Now, again, this is not about Obama. Quit trying to make it so.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Cynicalninja » Mon May 10, 2010 2:48 pm

Millennium wrote:Now, again, this is not about Obama. Quit trying to make it so.

Obama nominated her, without Obama this thread would not exist.
Cynicalninja

Postby Cynicalninja » Mon May 10, 2010 2:52 pm

lady cop wrote:both the late Chief Justice William Rehnquist and Justice Lewis Powell Jr. were confirmed to the court in 1972 without a judicial background.

i cannot find anything re: her position on death penalty, evidently she has never clarified her views. i am really going to need to know that particular answer before i can say i support her 100%. (not that she needs MY approval. :lol: )

There were rumours that Rehnquist was "deep throat" during the watergate scandal.

:shh:
Cynicalninja

Postby Millennium » Mon May 10, 2010 2:52 pm

Cynicalninja wrote:
Millennium wrote:Now, again, this is not about Obama. Quit trying to make it so.

Obama nominated her, without Obama this thread would not exist.

Without her father she wouldn't exist, so let's talk about him too, and her mother also...since that's the qualifiers in your head.

Like I said it's about HER....and her qualifications. If you can't defend her, that's one thing, but trying to make it about Obama is a pitiful attempt by you to derail the topic.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Millennium » Mon May 10, 2010 2:56 pm

lady cop wrote:both the late Chief Justice William Rehnquist and Justice Lewis Powell Jr. were confirmed to the court in 1972 without a judicial background.

i cannot find anything re: her position on death penalty, evidently she has never clarified her views. i am really going to need to know that particular answer before i can say i support her 100%. (not that she needs MY approval. :lol: )

According to this:

The Death Penalty

In Ms. Kagan’s written responses to Senate questions during her confirmation for solicitor general, said she did not believe that international law prevented federal and state governments from broadening the application of the death penalty.

“I am fully prepared to argue, consistent with Supreme Court precedents, that the death penalty is constitutional.”
Millennium
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Political Matters