Elena Kagan Nominated to Supreme Court

Re: Elena Kagan Nominated to Supreme Court

Postby Millennium » Mon May 10, 2010 11:44 am

lady cop wrote:i'm reading a lot of nasty comments online about her being a lesbian and/or her looks...so damn what? what about her credentials? people are so shallow and stupid. i want to know her position on the death penalty, not her position in bed. :banghead:

Her credentials?

"Among Supreme Court nominees over the last 50 years or more, Kagan may well be the nominee with the least amount of relevant experience," said Ed Whelan, president of the Ethics and Public Policy Center, former law clerk for Justice Antonin Scalia, and former counsel to the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Kagan had never argued a case before the Supreme Court or any appeals court before she became solicitor general about a year ago.

"Solicitor General Kagan has been nominated with no judicial experience, a mere two years of private law practice, and only a year as solicitor general of the United States"

From Wikipedia:

Kagan is unmarried,[35] and her sexual orientation and its possible role in nomination politics became the subject of media discussion after CBS News published a blog post by Ben Domenech which reported a Harvard campus rumor that Kagan is a lesbian. CBS removed the post shortly after White House officials stated that the rumor was untrue. [36][37][38]

Let me ask you, with all the other possible people out there with more experience, why would he choose this one? Certainly NOT for her experience, but for her opinions on gays....That is the reason there is a lot of questions.

LC if your were a perspective employer looking for a new employee, wouldn't you put experience in the type of job as a major prerequisite? On the Supreme court of this United States, her qualifications as a Judge are practically nothing, but her opinions on gays is really what is getting her this appointment.

Obama's Jewish support has been cut in half since he was elected, and this will help those sores heal.

Now, she may be a sweet person, and her sexual life is her own business, but to appoint someone to the highest court in the land with little or no judicial experience is ridiculous.
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Cynicalninja » Mon May 10, 2010 11:57 am

So Obama picked her because she is Jewish and (allegedly) gay?

I don't believe that.
Space to let for non-antagonistic signature.
Cynicalninja

Postby Millennium » Mon May 10, 2010 12:34 pm

Cynicalninja wrote:So Obama picked her because she is Jewish and (allegedly) gay?

I don't believe that.

OK...Then why did he pick someone so obviously unqualified for the position?
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Millennium » Mon May 10, 2010 12:46 pm

lady cop wrote:i was referring to her education and reputation for brilliance. Justice Warren (of the Warren court) was never a judge before ascending to the Court.
"In nominating Kagan to replace Justice John Paul Stevens, President Barack Obama has chosen a brilliant legal scholar with liberal views and conservative friends. "
i am still reading about her and have not fully made up my mind. i really do want to know her position on death penalty.

Warren was a lawyer for 40 years before he was appointed....
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Millennium » Mon May 10, 2010 12:54 pm

NBC:

"Kagan has never set foot as an attorney of record into a trial courtroom in the United States, not even a small claims justice court; nor for that matter, any appellate court save for the literally handful of spoon fed cases she suddenly worked on as Solicitor General. Kagan has never been a judge in any courtroom, of any court, in the United States. Quite frankly, there is not even any evidence Elena Kagan has sat as a judge for a law school moot court exercise. There have been paralegals and secretaries with better experience than this. Does a nominee for the Supreme Court have to be Gerry Spence, Pat Fitzgerald or David Boies? No, but it would be nice if they had the passion, curiosity and commitment to their profession to go to court at least once. Never has there been a United States Supreme Court Justice with such a complete lack of involvement in the court system. Never."

That says a lot.....So why, knowing all of this, plus her background with gays and people of color, does this person get a nomination?.....I suspect it's her "life history" that gets her the nomination..
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Brian » Mon May 10, 2010 1:10 pm

I'd like to know her opinion on the death penalty and abortion. Whether or not she's gay is irrelevant to me.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Millennium » Mon May 10, 2010 1:24 pm

lady cop wrote:never set foot in courtroom as attny. of record?

Kagan has argued six cases before the Supreme Court in 2010

That was done this year, to get her "record" presentable...
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Cynicalninja » Mon May 10, 2010 1:26 pm

Please don't spoil yet another anti Obama rant from Mill with facts.

Obama could appoint Atticus Finch and Mill would still inevitably find fault.

If they announced "Obama defecates in toilet" Mill would go "bad move, he should have crapped his pants instead".
Space to let for non-antagonistic signature.
Cynicalninja

Postby Millennium » Mon May 10, 2010 1:28 pm

Cynicalninja wrote:

Please don't spoil yet another anti Obama rant from Mill with facts.

Obama could appoint Atticus Finch and Mill would still inevitably find fault.

This has to do with Kagen and her qualifications...If you don't understand that, then please don't bother to try to take this off topic...Fair enough?

And, as you told me in a thread about Kazoo..."This is none of your concern".. Clearer now?
Last edited by Millennium on Mon May 10, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Millennium » Mon May 10, 2010 1:29 pm

"As dean of Harvard Law School, she barred military recruiters from using the law school’s Office of Career Services. She reversed her decision after the government threatened to enforce the Solomon Amendment, which allows the federal government to withhold money from universities that do not extend the same welcome to military recruiters as they do to other recruiters. In a message to the school, she wrote, “The importance of the military to our society — and the extraordinary service that members of the military provide to all the rest of us — makes this discrimination more, not less, repugnant.”
Millennium
Contributor

Next

Return to Political Matters