How the two Parties fix who you're going to get to vote for.

How the two Parties fix who you're going to get to vote for.

Postby sirlamre » Sat May 08, 2010 11:00 pm

"Facing significant anger aimed at Washington and at some of his past votes, Utah Sen. Robert Bennett was eliminated Saturday from seeking re-election as a Republican, becoming the first incumbent to fall victim to the growing anti-Washington mood ahead of the 2010 midterm elections.

Bennett came in third in a second round of balloting at the state party convention behind more conservative candidates Tim Bridgewater and Mike Lee. In a final round of voting, neither Lee nor Bridgewater won 60 percent of the vote needed to win the nomination. They will now face each other in a primary election June 22.
"

Yes-- this isn't really news.

But apparently, to a LOT of people still believe "the voters" only need to VOTE in order to fix things..

They would be WRONG about that.
They need to understand that the PARTIES get to pick who will be on the ballot BEFORE the rank and file citizens get any say in the matter.

And in an ever increasing number of states and local elections, Democrats and Republicans are the ONLY ones who can be on the ballot, unless the PARTIES agree that third party people can appear on the ballot -- and they intentionally raise the bar for that VERY high, to
ensure that 90% of voters are going to pick from either one of the corrupt, established Parties.

My county Parties in a show of "bipartisanship" they both played up, recently "decided" together that
no one who wasn't declared as a Republican or Democrat could even BE on the ballot, unless they'd received
(get this) === 51% of the county voters names on a request that they be allowed to run in the local elections.

No Independents need apply, unless they are desired to appear by FIFTY ONE PERCENT of the voters
(that is, more than one hundred thousand names would have to be on the petition)

Yeah -- like we're going to get rid of Dems or the GOP in THIS county anytime soon.

Supposedly the GOP is pushing for the same sort of thing (with bipartisan support from the Dems) -- for the entire State.
sirlamre

Re: How the two Parties fix who you're going to get to vote for.

Postby Librtyhead » Mon May 10, 2010 10:31 pm

I can only say that the first time that I have seen a grassroots movement has had any actual political influence has been the tea party movement, the only other time was the civil rights demonstrations but they never called themselves anything but the civil rights movement. There may be hope for a third party yet but it will take a few more elections and that will be only if people keep at it for the long run. In this land of instant gratification I wonder if it is even possible. But the third party is gaining a little each year. it may take something really big to make the two parties even notice though. The only thing that will do it will be more voter support.
Librtyhead

Re: How the two Parties fix who you're going to get to vote for.

Postby Cynicalninja » Tue May 11, 2010 7:24 am

Librtyhead wrote:I can only say that the first time that I have seen a grassroots movement has had any actual political influence has been the tea party movement.

If you are relying on that lot for real political change in America you are in for a loooooong wait.

They are nothing more than what we refer to as the "chattering classes" in the UK, all talk but you know for a fact they are always going to vote Republican/Conservative.
Space to let for non-antagonistic signature.
Cynicalninja

Return to Political Matters