SOUTHPARK creators threatened with murder!?

Moderator: Brian

Re: SOUTHPARK creators threatened with murder!?

Postby 24HourNut » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:47 pm

Another example of the organized religion poison.

Religion. Justifying Killing Non-Believers Since The Beginning.™
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby Librtyhead » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:51 pm

Is the killing of infidels a modern thing? I have never heard of this killing of people for pictures until the last few years or so. Ever since Rushdie wrote "Satanic versus" that is when I started hearing more of this type of buffonery.
Librtyhead

Postby 24HourNut » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:54 pm

Librtyhead wrote:Is the killing of infidels a modern thing? I have never heard of this killing of people for pictures until the last few years or so. Ever since Rushdie wrote "Satanic versus" that is when I started hearing more of this type of buffonery.

Any life extinguished, past or present, due to the "commands" or "condoning" in a religion invalidates that religion as being from God and puts it in the ignorant poison category.
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby Cynicalninja » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:54 pm

The more Muslims get overly pissed off and worked up about public portrayal's of Mohammed, the more people like Matt Stone and Trey parker will take the piss out of them.

And quite right too!

No character or figure, fictional or otherwise, should have the protection of never being portrayed anywhere by anybody, its bloody ridiculous.
Space to let for non-antagonistic signature.
Cynicalninja

Postby Brian » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:04 pm

Librtyhead wrote:Is the killing of infidels a modern thing? I have never heard of this killing of people for pictures until the last few years or so. Ever since Rushdie wrote "Satanic versus" that is when I started hearing more of this type of buffonery.

To be fair, the killing of people over the depiction of religious figures isn't a new thing. It happened during the Protestant Reformation. A lot of people were very serious about the idea that churches should not have religious iconography (e.g., crucifixes, statues, etc.).

As for the episode: I don't understand what the deal is here. Mohamed was never depicted. The whole point of the episode was to not depict Mohamed. I can understand (at least, from their perspective) why the radical Muslims would be upset about the episode where he was depicted, but all that was depicted in this one was a bear mascot costume.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Cynicalninja » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:10 pm

I saw the episode and Brian is correct when he said the whole thing was about NOT portraying Mohammed, he appeared in a teddy bear costume, and spoke two muffled words from inside the back of a van.

Having said that Parker and Stone knew they would be stirring up a shitstorm with this episode, it can't really come as any surprise.
Cynicalninja

Postby Librtyhead » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:26 pm

24HourNut wrote:

Any life extinguished, past or present, due to the "commands" or "condoning" in a religion invalidates that religion as being from God and puts it in the ignorant poison category.

But....but is it a recent modern thing with islam? Or do we just see more of it because of the internet.
Librtyhead

Postby Cynicalninja » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:29 pm

Is the "not ever portraying Mohammed" thing a recent one?

I can remember being shown visual representations of Mohammed during Religious studies in high school.
Cynicalninja

Postby Brian » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:38 pm

Cynicalninja wrote:Is the "not ever portraying Mohammed" thing a recent one?

I can remember being shown visual representations of Mohammed during Religious studies in high school.

My understanding of it is that it's a Shiite vs. Sunni thing. It's basically the same as what the Protestants and Catholics went through, back in the day. Shiites allow the depiction of Mohammed, while Sunnis don't.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Boba » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:10 pm

Brian wrote:
Cynicalninja wrote:Is the "not ever portraying Mohammed" thing a recent one?

My understanding of it is that it's a Shiite vs. Sunni thing. It's basically the same as what the Protestants and Catholics went through, back in the day. Shiites allow the depiction of Mohammed, while Sunnis don't.

I didn't know that. Thanks Brian.
Boba
Contributor

Next

Return to Religion & Philosophy