Atheists

Moderator: Brian

Re: Atheists

Postby Brian » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:03 pm

Cynicalninja wrote:If you could reason with religious people there wouldn't be any religious people.

I've also stopped using the term Atheist, I prefer the term rational, I also lack a belief in leprechauns but that doesn't make me an aleprechaunist.


It's not really about reason, Ninja. It's not as if Christians are deluded into thinking they can find Heaven on a map. Faith simply isn't subject to scientific scrutiny.

I don't mind the term atheist, because it implies more than just a disbelief in the Judeo-Christian God. It represents a disbelief in the supernatural in general. (I can't picture an atheist who also believes in leprechauns.)
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
User avatar
Brian
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1913
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: Atheists

Postby Brian » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:08 pm

Millennium wrote:
Cynicalninja wrote:If you could reason with religious people there wouldn't be any religious people.

I've also stopped using the term Atheist, I prefer the term rational, I also lack a belief in leprechauns but that doesn't make me an aleprechaunist.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I clearly stated I think the number of black people living in Southern states is one of the main reasons for all the troubles of the Southern states, FACT - Millennium.

Posting racist images does not make me a racist - Millennium







I fully expect you to take my name from your tag line....you did this shit in 24 and then went crying to Frank when I retaliated...and now, here you are again,. after numerous bannings, you are trying to goad on this board now....I can do this several ways...Brian can handle it and warn you, or I can handle it. Take your pick.


I'll handle it, thanks.

Ninja: I do think you're being too provocative with your sig. Please take out references to Millennium. There's no need to be picking fights here.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
User avatar
Brian
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1913
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: Atheists

Postby Cynicalninja » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:09 pm

Brian wrote:
Cynicalninja wrote:All I've got so say is that as an Atheist it annoys me that burden of proof is on us so much.

It should be a case of "You came up with idea, why do you believe it?"

I could tell you I've got superpowers, but I can't go up to people saying "prove I can't fly", they'd go "what do you mean prove you can't fly?, prove you can!"


Flight is relatively falsifiable.

1) Take someone to the roof of a tall building.
2) Push them off of the roof.

You'll get your answer pretty quickly. :mrgreen:

God is not falsifiable in the same way. Otherwise, it would be science and not faith.

That's not to say that a belief in God is a false belief, necessarily. It's just a belief not subject to scientific scrutiny. It's like the belief that your spouse loves you. There's no scientific test you can apply, but that doesn't mean the belief is necessarily false.


As I was carted off in the ambulance after splatting on the pavement I would just say "I can't use my powers on certain days, today being one of those days, this proves nothing".

There are many things you can't prove don't exist, God being just one of them, using the argument of some Christians you could say that you can't prove anything doesn't exist.

Pink pixie dragons don't exist you say? PROVE IT.
Space to let for non-antagonistic signature.
User avatar
Cynicalninja
 
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:35 am
Location: England's green and pleasant land.

Re: Atheists

Postby Cynicalninja » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:10 pm

Brian wrote:
Millennium wrote:
Cynicalninja wrote:If you could reason with religious people there wouldn't be any religious people.

I've also stopped using the term Atheist, I prefer the term rational, I also lack a belief in leprechauns but that doesn't make me an aleprechaunist.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I clearly stated I think the number of black people living in Southern states is one of the main reasons for all the troubles of the Southern states, FACT - Millennium.

Posting racist images does not make me a racist - Millennium







I fully expect you to take my name from your tag line....you did this shit in 24 and then went crying to Frank when I retaliated...and now, here you are again,. after numerous bannings, you are trying to goad on this board now....I can do this several ways...Brian can handle it and warn you, or I can handle it. Take your pick.


I'll handle it, thanks.

Ninja: I do think you're being too provocative with your sig. Please take out references to Millennium. There's no need to be picking fights here.


Very well.
Space to let for non-antagonistic signature.
User avatar
Cynicalninja
 
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:35 am
Location: England's green and pleasant land.

Re: Atheists

Postby Boba » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:11 pm

24HourNut wrote:
Boba wrote:
24HourNut wrote:
Boba wrote:Frank, I have a question for you. In your OP you claim to be "Agnostic". Does this mean you're not sure whether you're a fool or not?


It means I am not sure if you are a fool or not. :hello:


Is it just Christians you feel this way towards, or is it all religions and Christians just offer you the most entertainment? Instead of constantly bashing Christians, why don't you tell us what YOU believe in?


I have a problem taking your questions seriously when you asked me the silly fool one quoted above. I was just responding to it in kind. Do you always bash non-subscribers this way? See, it works both ways. My views will be made clear gradually over time if you are not aware of them. I already expressed my view - that I don't think atheists are vile fools.

Watch the video and feel free to comment on it as I have. Don't worry about my views so much.

Ok, we'll address just the video. What does it prove? That there are educated and talented people that don't believe in God? Can they not still make fools of themselves ever? Was Carl Segan (a man I admired) incapable of making a bad decision? Does winning the Noble prize make you omnipotent and therefore incapable of being wrong? (I thought we just proved that one false!) Actually, from a scientific aspect, there is no absolute proof that God does not exist. There is no proof that he does, but I'll just stick to the video for now. It is simply a hypothesis as to whether he exists or not.
User avatar
Boba
Contributor
 
Posts: 653
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:29 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Atheists

Postby Cynicalninja » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:17 pm

Being an Atheist doesn't make you smart anymore than being religious makes you smart.

.
Space to let for non-antagonistic signature.
User avatar
Cynicalninja
 
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:35 am
Location: England's green and pleasant land.

Re: Atheists

Postby Millennium » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:19 pm

Cynicalninja wrote:Being an Atheist doesn't make you smart anymore than being religious makes you smart.

.



Thanks for the sig line change...we both can live with it... :toast:
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
User avatar
Millennium
Contributor
 
Posts: 1221
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:11 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Atheists

Postby Brian » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:20 pm

Cynicalninja wrote:As I was carted off in the ambulance after splatting on the pavement I would just say "I can't use my powers on certain days, today being one of those days, this proves nothing".


You're assuming you'd get to pick the building you were pushed off of. :sneaky:

Cynicalninja wrote:There are many things you can't prove don't exist, God being just one of them, using the argument of some Christians you could say that you can't prove anything doesn't exist.

Pink pixie dragons don't exist you say? PROVE IT.


Ninja, you can't prove pink pixie dragons don't exist somewhere in the universe. You also can't prove that the Big Bang happened precisely as current scientific consensus thinks it did. Whether or not something is true and whether or not you can prove it are two different things.

Atheism and theism are both valid positions, because no one knows, and no one can know, if there is anything after life. I find Christianity to be very implausible, at best, but I wouldn't mock a Christian, for the simple reason that I could be wrong.

I find certainty in Christians to be irrational, but I understand it. It's the nature of faith. If you're trying to devote your life to a philosophical position, it's very difficult to admit that there's a chance that you could be wrong.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
User avatar
Brian
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1913
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: Atheists

Postby Brian » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:22 pm

Thanks, Ninja.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
User avatar
Brian
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1913
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: Atheists

Postby Greeneyes » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:13 am

24HourNut wrote:
Greeneyes wrote:Huh? :scratch: Anyhow, I stand by what I said.


Oh stop with this every atheist you met was insecure or angry. You said that just to get my heart racing and blood flow going in all the right places. How many have you met, 2? Get out a little more. Go to some nice Italian restaurant with a nice Italian agnostic guy like me who will make you think those who don't subscribe to invisible superdaddy clubs are the most generous, realistic, and secure guys you'll ever experience in or out of the bedroom.



I didn't say it to get you all excited. If I wanted to get your heart racing and your blood pumping, I'd just brush up against you. That's all it would take.

I stand by what I said. People who deny the existance of God are either ignorant or believing themselves too intellgent to accept such a thing. Ignorance and arrogance are born of insecurities. Doesn't make you a bad person PIzza Man. We all have them. Well, maybe not me, but then, I'm exceptional. Now, this is where I'd put a big smoochy smilie if we had one.

Atheist or not, you still make me weak in the knees. I'm a sucker for you dark, smoldering types. I ever tell you about the Italian boy who..............
User avatar
Greeneyes
Banned
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:02 am

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Philosophy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron