Atheists

Moderator: Brian

Re: Atheists

Postby Millennium » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:15 pm

Brian wrote:
Greeneyes wrote:Every Atheist I've ever met was incredibly insecure. They tend to be angry too, but that also comes from the insecurity.

Is it any wonder that they're insecure. I'm sure you'd be insecure, too, if the common perception of you was that you were amoral (at best), selfish, and (usually) unpatriotic.

Not to get off topic.....but that seems to describe the Democrat party, and it's amazing how many of the atheists are identified with the Democrat party. ....Hmmmmmmmmm :dontknow:
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby 24HourNut » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:16 pm

Brian wrote:There are a lot more Christians in the world than atheists, and if you did a video like this for accomplished Christians (particularly living or dead), the list would be a lot longer.

Unless I am getting the videos mixed up, I think the real point was they are not fools or terrible vile people like the Bible claims ... verses how many there are. Otherwise we could get into things like Is there a disproportionate amount of Atheists in that group or how, just like gays, many people in history were in the closet about their secular, agnostic, or even atheist beliefs so they won't get counted. So I think the main point was to discredit the claims against them.
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby 24HourNut » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:18 pm

Greeneyes wrote:Every Atheist I've ever met was incredibly insecure. They tend to be angry too, but that also comes from the insecurity.

:lol: WHAT!? Give me a break ...
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby Millennium » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:19 pm

24HourNut wrote:
Brian wrote:There are a lot more Christians in the world than atheists, and if you did a video like this for accomplished Christians (particularly living or dead), the list would be a lot longer.

Unless I am getting the videos mixed up, I think the real point was they are not fools or terrible vile people like the Bible claims ... verses how many there are. Otherwise we could get into things like Is there a disproportionate amount of Atheists in that group or how, just like gays, many people in history were in the closet about their secular, agnostic, or even atheist beliefs so they won't get counted. So I think the main point was to discredit the claims against them.

The video proves that's an exception to every rule...nothing more.
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Millennium » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:20 pm

24HourNut wrote:

Re-read the message...(the part that says: " I ever met")....she hasn't met them all, but the ones she has met were.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby 24HourNut » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:28 pm

Millennium wrote:
24HourNut wrote:

Re-read the message...(the part that says: " I ever met")....she hasn't met them all, but the ones she has met were.

Actually, you should stop assuming and re-read my message, unless you're just sleepy or something. I didn't say she met them all. I didn't believe what she said knowing what she meant.
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby Brian » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:34 pm

24HourNut wrote:

I certainly think that the video started out trying to disprove that all atheists were fools. But the problem was how the video piled it on, and got less and less credible as it went on. Look at the inclusion of Angelina Jolie in the list. Aesthetically, she's a good showpiece, but intellectually? Not so much. It's hard not to consider someone who adopts children like they're Beanie Babies a fool. (I'm not even 100% convinced she'd call herself an atheist. From what I've been able to find, she'd probably consider herself agnostic, at most.)
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby 24HourNut » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:37 pm

Brian wrote:
24HourNut wrote:

I certainly think that the video started out trying to disprove that all atheists were fools. But the problem was how the video piled it on, and got less and less credible as it went on. Look at the inclusion of Angelina Jolie in the list. Aesthetically, she's a good showpiece, but intellectually? Not so much. It's hard not to consider someone who adopts children like they're Beanie Babies a fool. (I'm not even 100% convinced she'd call herself an atheist. From what I've been able to find, she'd probably consider herself agnostic, at most.)

I thought the video showed that the Bible was obviously wrong, atheists are not automatically foolish vile people. Angelina Jolie was just an example of someone who is an actress that does a lot of charity work - not some evil foolish vile person that people can point to and say "see, that is what a vile fool you become if you don't subscribe to our religion!"
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby Greeneyes » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:45 pm

24HourNut wrote:
Millennium wrote:
24HourNut wrote:

Actually, you should stop assuming and re-read my message, unless you're just sleepy or something. I didn't say she met them all. I didn't believe what she said knowing what she meant.

Huh? :scratch: Anyhow, I stand by what I said. I've yet to meet an Atheist that didn't volunteer the information. They tend to be daring you to challenge them. Again, I say insecurity.

Also, where does the Bible call Atheists terrible and vile?
Greeneyes
Banned

Postby Brian » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:04 pm

24HourNut wrote:
Brian wrote:
24HourNut wrote:

I thought the video showed that the Bible was obviously wrong, atheists are not automatically foolish vile people. Angelina Jolie was just an example of someone who is an actress that does a lot of charity work - not some evil foolish vile person that people can point to and say "see, that is what a vile fool you become if you don't subscribe to our religion!"

I think the video did that within the first 30 seconds, but I think the rest of it was simple name-dropping, as the names became less and less intellectual and more and more pop culture.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Philosophy