10 questions that every intelligent Christian must answer

Moderator: Brian

Re: 10 questions that every intelligent Christian must answer

Postby Brian » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:40 pm

24HourNut wrote:Brian, if you want to say that the people who believe God issued the Bible and purposefully included the harsher barbaric stuff are not intellectual Christians or Christians who have Christianity correctly then be my guest! However, I believe that the video was addressing the general Christian view that God issued and stands behind everything in both the OT and NT - death penalties, threats, stoning virgins, and all.

My point is that the video says it's addressing the intellectual Christians, but then it goes on to posit objections to the existence of God that a Catholic high school student of average intelligence could answer easily. To pretend that he's making intellectual arguments, as the author of the video does, is disingenuous. You'd have to have almost no exposure to Christian theology to be stumped by these questions -- probably even if you did believe that God sat down and wrote the Bible himself.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Millennium » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:43 pm

Brian wrote:
24HourNut wrote:Brian, if you want to say that the people who believe God issued the Bible and purposefully included the harsher barbaric stuff are not intellectual Christians or Christians who have Christianity correctly then be my guest! However, I believe that the video was addressing the general Christian view that God issued and stands behind everything in both the OT and NT - death penalties, threats, stoning virgins, and all.

My point is that the video says it's addressing the intellectual Christians, but then it goes on to posit objections to the existence of God that a Catholic high school student of average intelligence could answer easily. To pretend that he's making intellectual arguments, as the author of the video does, is disingenuous. You'd have to have almost no exposure to Christian theology to be stumped by these questions -- probably even if you did believe that God sat down and wrote the Bible himself.

Too bad w don't have a POTD as of yet.....I've seen a couple of yours that I feel have earned it. :toast:
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Cynicalninja » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:01 pm

Most of the Christians I know do believe that the bible is the literal word of God, dictated by God and written down by God appointed proof readers.

The video is interesting if a little glib and trite, the website it links to is interesting and has some intriguing and interesting things to say about God, heaven, faith etc.

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/
Space to let for non-antagonistic signature.
Cynicalninja

Postby Brian » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:54 pm

Cynicalninja wrote:Most of the Christians I know do believe that the bible is the literal word of God, dictated by God and written down by God appointed proof readers.

Oh, I'm not talking about what most Christians believe. I'm willing to believe that most Christians who self-identify aren't terribly well-versed in Christian theology. My point was that there are answers to these questions that intellectual Christians could supply. The theology is there. The video makes it seem as though these are earth-shattering questions that Christianity has no answer for, and that's simply false. The website is slightly better, because at least there, there is an attempt to provide the answer that Christian theology might provide. The response to the Christian theology is pretty weak, resorting to calling the Christian answers "uncomfortable".

Brian
Site Admin

Postby 24HourNut » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:20 pm

Millennium wrote:

Back to the 1st century again... :WTF:

Wake up - we were talking about the brutality and harshness in the Bible - which is what the video spotlighted. Isn't that primarily the OT?
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby 24HourNut » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:22 pm

Brian wrote:

He is addressing intellectual Christians. Intellectual Christians all over the place believe that prayers can result in miracles and that all the material in the OT, including harsh penalties for disobeying God's rules, was from God. YOU may not agree with their view but those are typical and common views of Christians such as Gator. I consider him an intellectual Christian.
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby 24HourNut » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:24 pm

Brian wrote:
Cynicalninja wrote:Most of the Christians I know do believe that the bible is the literal word of God, dictated by God and written down by God appointed proof readers.

Oh, I'm not talking about what most Christians believe. I'm willing to believe that most Christians who self-identify aren't terribly well-versed in Christian theology. My point was that there are answers to these questions that intellectual Christians could supply. The theology is there. The video makes it seem as though these are earth-shattering questions that Christianity has no answer for, and that's simply false. The website is slightly better, because at least there, there is an attempt to provide the answer that Christian theology might provide. The response to the Christian theology is pretty weak, resorting to calling the Christian answers "uncomfortable".

The video makes it seem as though there are questions there are no answers for that don't sound uncomfortable or full of BS, not that there are NO answers for. I believe most Christians across America have problems with those questions and do give the same BS responses to them.
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby Cynicalninja » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:29 pm

Kris a friend of mine is a university graduate who works in executive fiscal management.

As a Christian he believes conclusively that God created the earth in six days and chilled out on the seventh, that an old man built a ship big enough to house two of every species of animal on the planet to survive a flood sent from a loving God to murder every other living thing on earth, that a man lived inside the belly of a whale for days and a bearded dude parted the red sea with a stick.

He is the rule not the exception.
Space to let for non-antagonistic signature.
Cynicalninja

Postby Brian » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:38 pm

24HourNut wrote:
Brian wrote:

He is addressing intellectual Christians. Intellectual Christians all over the place believe that prayers can result in miracles and that all the material in the OT, including harsh penalties for disobeying God's rules, was from God. YOU may not agree with their view but those are typical and common views of Christians such as Gator. I consider him an intellectual Christian.

I would imagine that Gator knows the theological answers to the questions in the video. My point is that anyone with half a brain that called themselves a Christian and had engaged in any study of it at all would be familiar with these kinds of objections. Granted, you might not like some of the answers (and I don't, either, by the way), but they're not "B.S." answers. Do you really think that in the 2000+-year history of Christianity, no serious person has ever wrestled with the question of faith healing for amputees?

As far as the punishments in the OT: One can accept the Bible as true without endorsing those punishments in present-day society. There are people who go to school to study this stuff for years, Frank. It's not just some theory a bunch of frat boys threw together at a kegger.

Brian
Site Admin

Postby 24HourNut » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:48 pm

Brian wrote:I would imagine that Gator knows the theological answers to the questions in the video.

I guess I am saying that I believe intellectual Christians, like Gator, would give the same kind of answers to the amputee people not having prayers answered that the video suggests they would, even though the amputees might be nicer, more religious, and have received more prayer help than those with the "miracle" cures for their diseases and such.
24HourNut
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Philosophy