The Catholic Church in Ireland and Europe

Moderator: Brian

Re: The Catholic Church in Ireland and Europe

Postby Millennium » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:48 pm

24HourNut wrote:That's the cost of banking too much on archaic text when dealing with people living in the 21st century. You might not advise them to use condoms.

Do you think they would actually use them?.....They readily available here in the states and yet....
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby 24HourNut » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:17 pm

Millennium wrote:
24HourNut wrote:That's the cost of banking too much on archaic text when dealing with people living in the 21st century. You might not advise them to use condoms.

Do you think they would actually use them?.....They readily available here in the states and yet....

I'm sure many more would be using them if the energy spent trying to convince them the Bible is from God by the Church was spent on getting them to use condoms. I mean, that's just a common sense, but as you can see, 21st century common sense doesn't sink into the archaic mindset of the Church.
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby sirlamre » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:09 am

There's a scary ramification to this going forward.... the fact that Pentecostals and other extreme-rightwing Christian groups are picking up the Catholic leftovers.

Just as the Catholic Church itself in centuries past, those far-rightwing denominations are now becoming known for their being far less tolerant of any views of the actions of non-members- morally, spiritually, ethically.

When that happened in the Catholic Church, it led to the Inquisition, once the Church gained enough membership, power, and control to be able to force it's will on others around it.

As the more tolerant moderate denominations of Christianity lose membership to the extreme rightwing super-conservative fire-and-brimstone-vengeance
oriented denominations, I fear that we could see a Second Inquisition in another 40-50 years, as the growth of the hard-core rightwing literalists join ranks and become a huge force in society.

That way lies intolerance and division, for anyone who isn't "approved"
sirlamre

Postby Brian » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:09 pm

sirlamre wrote:There's a scary ramification to this going forward.... the fact that Pentecostals and other extreme-rightwing Christian groups are picking up the Catholic leftovers.

Just as the Catholic Church itself in centuries past, those far-rightwing denominations are now becoming known for their being far less tolerant of any views of the actions of non-members- morally, spiritually, ethically.

When that happened in the Catholic Church, it led to the Inquisition, once the Church gained enough membership, power, and control to be able to force it's will on others around it.

As the more tolerant moderate denominations of Christianity lose membership to the extreme rightwing super-conservative fire-and-brimstone-vengeance
oriented denominations, I fear that we could see a Second Inquisition in another 40-50 years, as the growth of the hard-core rightwing literalists join ranks and become a huge force in society.

That way lies intolerance and division, for anyone who isn't "approved"

I share your dismay, sirlamre, but I think it's all inevitable. If you're going to believe in a doctrine at all, you have to believe in it strongly. That's what all these people are reacting to by leaving the mainline Protestant churches. The whole idea that you can belong to a church without believing all of its doctrines is kind of... silly. That doesn't have to lead to violence, of course, but it should lead to a religious group saying, "This is what we believe. You don't have to believe what we do, but if you don't believe it, there's the door." It's a church, not a freakn' Elks lodge.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Religion & Philosophy