Are there dangers in being 'spiritual but not religious'?

Moderator: Brian

Are there dangers in being 'spiritual but not religious'?

Postby Brian » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:38 pm

This is an article on CNN.

It's thought-provoking. Personally, my problem with it is that most people aren't consistent. If you don't get your dogma from somewhere external, anyone can say they're spiritual but not religious -- including Jeffrey Dahmer.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Are there dangers in being 'spiritual but not religious'?

Postby 24HourNut » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:24 am

Saying you are spiritual is a way of hanging on to the desire and emotional need for supernatural governance of your life or afterlife, without having to be embarrassed by affiliation with organized religion. It's religion for modern people that can't get themselves to be blatantly ignorant and child-like.
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby Cynicalninja » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:34 am

Being spiritual instead of religious is just someone hedging their bets because they can't be bothered going to a church, synagogue or temple, or have to bother reading the bible, torah or koran.

If there is a heaven and jolly old saint pete is waiting for them at the pearly gates they can say "well I wasn't religious at all, but I was spiritual.

I mean devil worship could be classed as spiritual, worshipping the spirit of satan.
Space to let for non-antagonistic signature.
Cynicalninja

Postby Linnea » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:45 am

I detest organized religion but I find it comforting thinking and feeling there's 'something' out there. I dunno if that's considered spiritual though. :dontknow:
Support mental health care... or I'll kill you.Image
Linnea
Contributor

Postby sledge » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:07 am

Its either a person is a christian or not. Going to Church on Sundays does not save you but encouraging others and trying to live by an example(Like Christ did) is the way to heaven but we still may not get in? which applies to everyone on Earth.

Hope i haven't killed the topic? :angel:
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Postby theia » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:46 am

I've tried various religions but, although I've gained some knowledge from each, I don't find it helpful to belong to a particular church or faith. For me, organised religions seem to miss the point. I can't explain what the point is but it seems to me as if something essential is no longer there and it can be rather uninspiring and dry.
theia

Postby sledge » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:02 pm

theia wrote:I've tried various religions but, although I've gained some knowledge from each, I don't find it helpful to belong to a particular church or faith. For me, organised religions seem to miss the point. I can't explain what the point is but it seems to me as if something essential is no longer there and it can be rather uninspiring and dry.

Do you believe in the bible or want you read on so called news sites? Because Jesus wasn't a loner.
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Postby theia » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:54 am

sledge wrote:
theia wrote:I've tried various religions but, although I've gained some knowledge from each, I don't find it helpful to belong to a particular church or faith. For me, organised religions seem to miss the point. I can't explain what the point is but it seems to me as if something essential is no longer there and it can be rather uninspiring and dry.

Do you believe in the bible or want you read on so called news sites? Because Jesus wasn't a loner.

The Bible has been a great source of comfort to me at various times in my life, as have other spiritual writings. So, yes, I do have a belief in them.

If you could elaborate on "want you read on so-called news sites" I can respond to your question.

On a wordly level, I agree that Jesus was not a loner. But I believe that His spiritual path was, by its very nature, one of aloneness and quiet.
theia

Postby Brian » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:35 am

Cynicalninja wrote:I mean devil worship could be classed as spiritual, worshipping the spirit of satan.

That's my take on things, too. Satanism is "spiritual", in the sense that it involves a supernatural force. Saying you're "spiritual" only says you believe in the realm of the supernatural, and that covers a lot of ground.

But as I said, I think spirituality w/o religion is kind of pointless, from a social point of view. It might make people feel better, but it doesn't give them a structure in which to act better. Judeo-Christian religions (and some others, although I'm not sure which ones) at least have codes of conduct (even if those codes are up for interpretation).

Brian
Site Admin

Postby Brian » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:40 am

theia wrote:On a wordly level, I agree that Jesus was not a loner. But I believe that His spiritual path was, by its very nature, one of aloneness and quiet.

I think whether Jesus was a loner can be up for interpretation. Certainly, there were times when he was with his disciples, but you've got the garden of Gesthemene (sp?) and the time he spent out in the desert as two examples of him seeking solitary contemplation. And none of his buddies were anywhere near him when he was on the cross. He sought out people when he taught, but there are lots of teachers who otherwise lead solitary lives.

Brian
Site Admin

Next

Return to Religion & Philosophy