Are there dangers in being 'spiritual but not religious'?

Moderator: Brian

Re: Are there dangers in being 'spiritual but not religious'?

Postby sledge » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:49 pm

Brian wrote:
theia wrote:On a wordly level, I agree that Jesus was not a loner. But I believe that His spiritual path was, by its very nature, one of aloneness and quiet.

I think whether Jesus was a loner can be up for interpretation. Certainly, there were times when he was with his disciples, but you've got the garden of Gesthemene (sp?) and the time he spent out in the desert as two examples of him seeking solitary contemplation. And none of his buddies were anywhere near him when he was on the cross. He sought out people when he taught, but there are lots of teachers who otherwise lead solitary lives.

Jesus needed his time out like most of us need our time alone to get our thoughts and reflect on our lives. But throughout his time on earth he was a teacher/mentor a fisher of men , healed the sick and setup the origins of christianity to carry on after his death and resurrection. If he was a loner there would no christianity and this world be spirituality dead.

The bible tells us we need to have friends in our lives people we trust but you do need your own relationship with God. Yes there are hundreds of Religious/ Spiritual leaders out there with many leading people astray or abusing them. Always bad apples in any religious organisation(including Islam)
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Postby sledge » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:57 pm

theia wrote:
sledge wrote:
theia wrote:I've tried various religions but, although I've gained some knowledge from each, I don't find it helpful to belong to a particular church or faith. For me, organised religions seem to miss the point. I can't explain what the point is but it seems to me as if something essential is no longer there and it can be rather uninspiring and dry.

Do you believe in the bible or want you read on so called news sites? Because Jesus wasn't a loner.

The Bible has been a great source of comfort to me at various times in my life, as have other spiritual writings. So, yes, I do have a belief in them.

If you could elaborate on "want you read on so-called news sites" I can respond to your question.

On a wordly level, I agree that Jesus was not a loner. But I believe that His spiritual path was, by its very nature, one of aloneness and quiet.

When it comes to criticising christianity or (Islam for that matter) news sites such as CNN print/ upload stories to debunk that Jesus is a myth or even fictional books such as 'The Da Vinci Code' really confused many. :scratch:

Also the bible is more than just a comfort book. I had a friend years ago who was having some marriage problems and asked me many times to study the bible with him which i did and he seem to be getting something from the sudys then his marriage got better(not from reading the bible) and then he couldn't be bothered anymore and parted company with me. Oh well! that's life i guess. :dontknow:
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Postby theia » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:01 am

sledge wrote:
theia wrote:
sledge wrote:
theia wrote:I've tried various religions but, although I've gained some knowledge from each, I don't find it helpful to belong to a particular church or faith. For me, organised religions seem to miss the point. I can't explain what the point is but it seems to me as if something essential is no longer there and it can be rather uninspiring and dry.

Do you believe in the bible or want you read on so called news sites? Because Jesus wasn't a loner.

The Bible has been a great source of comfort to me at various times in my life, as have other spiritual writings. So, yes, I do have a belief in them.

If you could elaborate on "want you read on so-called news sites" I can respond to your question.

On a wordly level, I agree that Jesus was not a loner. But I believe that His spiritual path was, by its very nature, one of aloneness and quiet.

When it comes to criticising christianity or (Islam for that matter) news sites such as CNN print/ upload stories to debunk that Jesus is a myth or even fictional books such as 'The Da Vinci Code' really confused many. :scratch:

Also the bible is more than just a comfort book. I had a friend years ago who was having some marriage problems and asked me many times to study the bible with him which i did and he seem to be getting something from the sudys then his marriage got better(not from reading the bible) and then he couldn't be bothered anymore and parted company with me. Oh well! that's life i guess. :dontknow:

The Bible gives me great comfort, for you, it is more than just a comfort book. And, the way I see it, that's fine. It doesn't make me right and you wrong or vice versa. In fact, it's good that we both have a book that helps us through.

In my original post I was pointing out that organised religion was not for me, for the reasons I gave. Again, that doesn't make organised religion wrong, merely that it isn't my choice.

Moreover, I have never read the Da Vinci Code and I don't visit news sites for religious/spiritual input.
theia

Previous

Return to Religion & Philosophy