Actions versus thoughts and "righteousness"

Moderator: Brian

Re: Actions versus thoughts and "righteousness"

Postby Millennium » Tue May 25, 2010 12:08 pm

24HourNut wrote:
Millennium wrote:I'm not hinting anything...didn't you read what I said? It's just a question to bring into the argument..if there is a God, then there has to be a devil... And Homosexuality is deviant behavior, if you go by the Merriam Websters accepted definition of deviant.

From Websters:

Main Entry: de·vi·ant
Function: adjective
Date: 15th century

~deviating especially from an accepted norm <deviant behavior>

Now I ask you, what is the accepted norm when it comes to sex?
Don't try to pin the definition on me and it fits the definition.

There are a few variations of that definition. One can be just deviating from the norm, statistically ... the other can be deviating from the accepted norm, more socially. One is more negative than the other.

I think atypical is more on target for homosexuality if describing it without bias. If you want to impart a negative covering, you would likely prefer deviant.

Homosexuality is a minority, atypical and innate orientation. It's deemed "deviant" using the common usage of that term by people indicating it's lack of social acceptance in some particular society.

Websters:

Atypical: not typical : irregular, unusual <an atypical form of a disease>

Use either, if you wish, I don't care, the point is pretty clear.
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Millennium » Tue May 25, 2010 12:12 pm

Cynicalninja wrote:
Millennium wrote:I'm not hinting anything...didn't you read what I said? It's just a question to bring into the argument..if there is a God, then there has to be a devil... And Homosexuality is deviant behavior, if you go by the Merriam Websters accepted definition of deviant.

From Websters:

Main Entry: de·vi·ant
Function: adjective
Date: 15th century

~deviating especially from an accepted norm <deviant behavior>

Now I ask you, what is the accepted norm when it comes to sex?
Don't try to pin the definition on me and it fits the definition.

Deviance is also referred to as behaviour or actions that violate cultural norms (whatever that is when you have hundreds of different cultural norms in hundreds of different countries).

I personally don't think homosexuality "violates" anything, I believe it is as old as time itself and has always taken place, various species of animal have been witnessed displaying homosexual behaviours and actions which further proves the point that it is not as "unnatural" as some people would have you believe.

If someone referred to me as a "deviant" for whatever reason I would take that as a personal insult.

I have to disagree...Homosexuality may have been around since the beginning of time, but that still doesn't make it a cultural norm. A lot of deviant behavior has been around for a long time, it still isn't accepted a normal cultural behavior..

I have no problems with Homosexuality, but it is what it is, and no culture accepts it as NORMAL....But feel free to provide me with one that proves me wrong.
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Cynicalninja » Tue May 25, 2010 12:21 pm

24HourNut wrote:I don't even see reason to think there is an intervening God, otherwise we get into all sorts of problems.

We sure do...
Attachments
atheist.jpg
atheist.jpg (28.52 KiB) Viewed 3396 times
Space to let for non-antagonistic signature.
Cynicalninja

Postby Brian » Tue May 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Millennium wrote:
Brian wrote:Why does the existence of a God necessitate the existence of a Devil (a.k.a., Satan)?

Couldn't another possibility be that God's just a capricious prick? In fact, even if the Devil exists simultaneously with God, doesn't that prove that God is a capricious prick, to let loose such a being on Earth, that he then pretends to "save" us from?

Satan doesn't really contribute to solving the philosophical problem of evil in Christian theology.

I'm just using the theory that if God exists, and you believe the Bible, then the Devil exists too...The Devil may not exist, God may not.

God may well be a prick, he may get bored as hell everyday, it's like the millionaire with money, sooner or later it all gets tiresome...Messing with the lives of people may be God's hobby...Who knows? I'll be the first to admit, I don't.

Thanks for that clarification, Mill. That's pretty much where my current atheism comes from. I'll admit that there are explanations for the existence of evil that don't preclude the existence of an omnipotent God, but for me, those explanations cause more problems than they solve. It's easier for me to believe such a being doesn't exist than to believe the explanations that I've been presented with so far.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby 24HourNut » Tue May 25, 2010 3:36 pm

Homosexuality is a minority, atypical sexual orientation. Some cultures accepted it to one degree or another, and others did not. So? Again, if God knew the future and created everything, then God purposefully created the minority, persistent, predictable, and consistent sexual orientation called homosexuality.
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby Millennium » Tue May 25, 2010 4:35 pm

24HourNut wrote:Homosexuality is a minority, atypical sexual orientation. Some cultures accepted it to one degree or another, and others did not. So? Again, if God knew the future and created everything, then God purposefully created the minority, persistent, predictable, and consistent sexual orientation called homosexuality.

That's one belief....there's also the camp that believes that God created the heavens and the earth and then said, OK....be human....
Millennium
Contributor

Postby mariej » Tue May 25, 2010 8:41 pm

Cynicalninja wrote:
24HourNut wrote:I don't even see reason to think there is an intervening God, otherwise we get into all sorts of problems.

We sure do...

Perhaps God set the earth in motion through evolution? It wouldn't make any sense to intervene in evolution, it wouldn't be evolution anymore. I'm not sure that would make God maleovent, however. If there is a God then it's incomprehensible in human understanding, therefore it makes no sense to apply human ideas and views onto God.
mariej

Postby Millennium » Tue May 25, 2010 9:29 pm

mariej wrote:
Cynicalninja wrote:

We sure do...

Perhaps God set the earth in motion through evolution? It wouldn't make any sense to intervene in evolution, it wouldn't be evolution anymore. I'm not sure that would make God maleovent, however. If there is a God then it's incomprehensible in human understanding, therefore it makes no sense to apply human ideas and views onto God.

Good post Marie. :thumbleft:
Millennium
Contributor

Postby 24HourNut » Tue May 25, 2010 9:52 pm

Millennium wrote:
24HourNut wrote:Homosexuality is a minority, atypical sexual orientation. Some cultures accepted it to one degree or another, and others did not. So? Again, if God knew the future and created everything, then God purposefully created the minority, persistent, predictable, and consistent sexual orientation called homosexuality.

That's one belief....there's also the camp that believes that God created the heavens and the earth and then said, OK....be human....

Right, but being human means a consistent minority being innately and involuntarily homosexual.

By the way, that must be a real small camp since almost everyone I know who believes in a religion thinks God intervenes ... whether it is to drown people in a Flood or perform miracles in hospitals, or even common items such as watching over, helping, answering prayers, etc. that is not a hands-off God. In any case, even if God did say "OK, do what you want" God is still responsible for our basic nature.
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby 24HourNut » Tue May 25, 2010 9:54 pm

Millennium wrote:
mariej wrote:
Cynicalninja wrote:

We sure do...

Good post Marie. :thumbleft:

Exactly ... which is why it sounds so childish and absurd to so many of us when we hear people say things like homosexuality is against God and homosexuals will be punished after death. In other words, the absurdity and arrogance of organized religion.
24HourNut
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Philosophy