Actions versus thoughts and "righteousness"

Moderator: Brian

Re: Actions versus thoughts and "righteousness"

Postby Brian » Tue May 25, 2010 11:50 am

Millennium wrote:I'm not hinting anything...didn't you read what I said? It's just a question to bring into the argument..if there is a God, then there has to be a devil... And Homosexuality is deviant behavior, if you go by the Merriam Websters accepted definition of deviant.

From Websters:

Main Entry: de·vi·ant
Function: adjective
Date: 15th century

~deviating especially from an accepted norm <deviant behavior>

Now I ask you, what is the accepted norm when it comes to sex?
Don't try to pin the definition on me and it fits the definition.

Why does the existence of a God necessitate the existence of a Devil (a.k.a., Satan)?

Couldn't another possibility be that God's just a capricious prick? In fact, even if the Devil exists simultaneously with God, doesn't that prove that God is a capricious prick, to let loose such a being on Earth, that he then pretends to "save" us from?

Satan doesn't really contribute to solving the philosophical problem of evil in Christian theology.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Millennium » Tue May 25, 2010 11:51 am

24HourNut wrote:
Millennium wrote:Just to throw a wrench into the argument....if there is a God, then there has to be a Devil....Maybe God isn't responsible for the "GAY".....

Like I said....who says God is the one that created the deviant behavior?

Just a question...don't be jumping all over me because of the question.

If there is a God there does not have to be a Devil. God would have to create a Devil if God is all-powerful, all-knowing, makes everything, etc.

If there is a God creating us and responsible for how we are born and our basic nature, then he sure as heck wanted and allowed homosexuality to be a consistent and predictable part of it.

Going by your analogy, then God wants us to kill each other and rob our fellow man too. Correct?
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby 24HourNut » Tue May 25, 2010 11:52 am

Millennium wrote:I'm not hinting anything...didn't you read what I said? It's just a question to bring into the argument..if there is a God, then there has to be a devil... And Homosexuality is deviant behavior, if you go by the Merriam Websters accepted definition of deviant.

From Websters:

There are a few variations of that definition. One can be just deviating from the norm, statistically ... the other can be deviating from the accepted norm, more socially. One is more negative than the other.

I think atypical is more on target for homosexuality if describing it without bias. If you want to impart a negative covering, you would likely prefer deviant.

Homosexuality is a minority, atypical and innate orientation. It's deemed "deviant" using the common usage of that term by people indicating it's lack of social acceptance in some particular society.
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby 24HourNut » Tue May 25, 2010 11:54 am

Millennium wrote:
24HourNut wrote:
Millennium wrote:Just to throw a wrench into the argument....if there is a God, then there has to be a Devil....Maybe God isn't responsible for the "GAY".....

If there is a God there does not have to be a Devil. God would have to create a Devil if God is all-powerful, all-knowing, makes everything, etc.

If there is a God creating us and responsible for how we are born and our basic nature, then he sure as heck wanted and allowed homosexuality to be a consistent and predictable part of it.

Going by your analogy, then God wants us to kill each other and rob our fellow man too. Correct?

God called for that in the Bible so we know God is AOK with that type of thing. And God certainly made us animal-like and the world a jungle, so I personally doubt God is surprised that we kill each other. In fact, I believe God knew we would way ahead of time so while I doubt God wants us to kill each other for no reason, I have a feeling he would be AOK with it in self defense or going on a good ol' fashioned religious crusade.
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby Millennium » Tue May 25, 2010 11:57 am

Brian wrote:

From Websters:

Why does the existence of a God necessitate the existence of a Devil (a.k.a., Satan)?

Couldn't another possibility be that God's just a capricious prick? In fact, even if the Devil exists simultaneously with God, doesn't that prove that God is a capricious prick, to let loose such a being on Earth, that he then pretends to "save" us from?

Satan doesn't really contribute to solving the philosophical problem of evil in Christian theology.

I'm just using the theory that if God exists, and you believe the Bible, then the Devil exists too...The Devil may not exist, God may not.

God may well be a prick, he may get bored as hell everyday, it's like the millionaire with money, sooner or later it all gets tiresome...Messing with the lives of people may be God's hobby...Who knows? I'll be the first to admit, I don't.
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Millennium » Tue May 25, 2010 11:58 am

24HourNut wrote:

From Websters:

There are a few variations of that definition. One can be just deviating from the norm, statistically ... the other can be deviating from the accepted norm, more socially. One is more negative than the other.

I think atypical is more on target for homosexuality if describing it without bias. If you want to impart a negative covering, you would likely prefer deviant.

Homosexuality is a minority, atypical and innate orientation. It's deemed "deviant" using the common usage of that term by people indicating it's lack of social acceptance in some particular society.

Call it what you wish, now you're just mincing words.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Millennium » Tue May 25, 2010 11:59 am

24HourNut wrote:
Millennium wrote:
24HourNut wrote:

God called for that in the Bible so we know God is AOK with that type of thing. And God certainly made us animal-like and the world a jungle, so I personally doubt God is surprised that we kill each other. In fact, I believe God knew we would way ahead of time so while I doubt God wants us to kill each other for no reason, I have a feeling he would be AOK with it in self defense or going on a good ol' fashioned religious crusade.

If you're going to use the Bible as a source, then you have to accept there is a Devil...You can't pick and chose..
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Cynicalninja » Tue May 25, 2010 12:01 pm

From Websters:

Deviance is also referred to as behaviour or actions that violate cultural norms (whatever that is when you have hundreds of different cultural norms in hundreds of different countries).

I personally don't think homosexuality "violates" anything, I believe it is as old as time itself and has always taken place, various species of animal have been witnessed displaying homosexual behaviours and actions which further proves the point that it is not as "unnatural" as some people would have you believe.

If someone referred to me as a "deviant" for whatever reason I would take that as a personal insult.
Space to let for non-antagonistic signature.
Cynicalninja

Postby 24HourNut » Tue May 25, 2010 12:05 pm

Millennium wrote:
Brian wrote:

From Websters:

I'm just using the theory that if God exists, and you believe the Bible, then the Devil exists too...The Devil may not exist, God may not.

God may well be a prick, he may get bored as hell everyday, it's like the millionaire with money, sooner or later it all gets tiresome...Messing with the lives of people may be God's hobby...Who knows? I'll be the first to admit, I don't.

Oh, I didn't realize you were specifically calling for some Biblical view, because I don't think there is a Devil and I certainly don't think if there is a God that means there has to be a Devil. The whole thing sounds childish to me. I don't even see reason to think there is an intervening God, otherwise we get into all sorts of problems.
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby 24HourNut » Tue May 25, 2010 12:07 pm

Millennium wrote:
24HourNut wrote:
Millennium wrote:
24HourNut wrote:

If you're going to use the Bible as a source, then you have to accept there is a Devil...You can't pick and chose..

I answered your question ... yeah, if there is a God that supervises our privacy and every thought, intervenes, etc. then God obviously wanted people to kill other people and knew they would way ahead of time.
24HourNut
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Philosophy