Actions versus thoughts and "righteousness"

Moderator: Brian

Re: Actions versus thoughts and "righteousness"

Postby 24HourNut » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:41 pm

Morals are not all universal because they differ depending upon the time and place in history. Some morals or standards are universal, but many more are not. For example, human sacrifice has been moral for some societies, and repulsive for others.
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby Brian » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:55 pm

24HourNut wrote:Morals are not all universal because they differ depending upon the time and place in history. Some morals or standards are universal, but many more are not. For example, human sacrifice has been moral for some societies, and repulsive for others.

I think we have to define what we're talking about when we use the word "morals". It's quite possible for a society to resort to something that goes against its customs and beliefs when the need arises. But that doesn't mean that the society at large has changed its morals. The Donner Party (to take a small-scale example) resorted to cannibalism, but that doesn't mean they thought they were doing something "good", per se. They were just staving off death.

I'll agree with you that only sum morals are universal, but that in itself demonstrates that there are universal morals (even if those are only a small subset of morals). The question then becomes, where did those universal morals come from? I put them down to evolution. Others claim that there's a universal set of morals put in our hearts by a creator being. I think that question is probably subject to scientific scrutiny, but I'm not sure if anyone's doing the research right now.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby 24HourNut » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:02 am

The only morals that are universal are the ones that are universal to the species in general, just like it is with animals ... and came from evolution. Like, survival needs, social bonding byproducts, etc.

By morals I mean the good and bad, dos and do nots of a given social structure. For example, many primates have stealing as a bad, a do not, with punishment headed toward the thief ... sometimes planned punishments way after the fact.
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby sledge » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:01 am

It seems members like to get technical here? of what's sin or not. According to the bible if u think about sin(which everyone does at some point) such as I want to kill my neighbour and don't then that is still sin. The bible clearly states 'Everyone' falls short (see Romans 3:23) and (Matthew 5: 27-30 refers to commiting adultery in your heart). Have alook don't just take my word.

You can debate this subject till the cows come home. Just stating what the Bible says.
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Postby scarletangel » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:49 am

God is the ultimate and sovereign judge for sin. Homosexuality is sin by His order; it is not decided by public opinion or deceived/false clergy. Changing societies do not dictate God's standards. Sin is defined by God for us in the Bible. It is the source for what God says is holy and righteous or sin and abomination. Hebrews 13:8 states that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever; he does not “go with the flow.”

God's Word says that homosexuality is unnatural, a perversion, an abomination, fornication, vile affections, and a great sin against Him. He states any sexual act outside of marriage is adultery (hetro or homo sexual). Sex is to be between man and woman within marriage.

Sexual sins were rampant in the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah. (This is the origin of the word sodomy.) Despite warnings, they refused to repent. God destroyed those cities and it was recorded as a warning to all future generations. (Genesis 18:20-21, Genesis 19:4-5, 2 Peter 2:6) Some additional scriptures on homosexuality are found in:

* Leviticus 18:22
* Leviticus 20:13
* Romans 1:26-27

The price paid for homosexuality and other fornications are told in:

* 1 Corinthians 6:9-10
* Jude 6-7
* Romans 1:18
scarletangel

Previous

Return to Religion & Philosophy