Will we instantly know God exists when we die?

Moderator: Brian

Re: Will we instantly know God exists when we die?

Postby Brian » Mon May 17, 2010 1:34 am

sirlamre wrote:He can make promises, but who are you to try to enforce them?

Doesn't that make believing in God an incredibly bad deal?
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Millennium » Mon May 17, 2010 9:41 am

Well, I would have said that buying insurance puts more of a contract to perform on the part of the insurance company.

You are looking at this from the wrong angle..sure there's a contract involved, but this wasn't about contracts and business ....this is about faith and hope.

You buy insurance, hoping that you don't have an accident, you pay the premiums, hoping you never have to use it. It helps you sleep at night knowing you are covered, even if you never use it. We all do it, and think nothing of it, but the cost we have to pay for something we hope we never need.

In religion, believing in God as an insurance policy. If you never need it, fine, but if you do, the premiums better have been paid.
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby mariej » Mon May 17, 2010 7:44 pm

I believe there is a God that set the universe in motion and doesn't intervene. I don't think we'll know anything after we die, not in the mortal sense anyway. The same way we didn't exist before we were born, we don't exist after we are dead except in the memories of those who knew us. But what the hell do I know :lol:
mariej

Postby Brian » Mon May 17, 2010 7:49 pm

mariej wrote:I believe there is a God that set the universe in motion and doesn't intervene.

That's the kind of God I could believe in. I think that's pretty reasonable, given the evidence around us. I think such a god would be indifferent to our worship, but it does make some sense to me.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Linnea » Mon May 17, 2010 7:52 pm

mariej wrote:I believe there is a God that set the universe in motion and doesn't intervene. I don't think we'll know anything after we die, not in the mortal sense anyway. The same way we didn't exist before we were born, we don't exist after we are dead except in the memories of those who knew us. But what the hell do I know :lol:

I disagree with that, I think we did exist in some form before we were born and we'll return to that forum after we die.
Support mental health care... or I'll kill you.Image
Linnea
Contributor

Postby mariej » Mon May 17, 2010 8:27 pm

Linnea wrote:
mariej wrote:I believe there is a God that set the universe in motion and doesn't intervene. I don't think we'll know anything after we die, not in the mortal sense anyway. The same way we didn't exist before we were born, we don't exist after we are dead except in the memories of those who knew us. But what the hell do I know :lol:

I disagree with that, I think we did exist in some form before we were born and we'll return to that forum after we die.
Well thats actually what I kind of meant. I think we probally did have some kind of connection with God before we were born, but nothing that we could ever know as human beings and I think it's the same when you die.
mariej

Postby mariej » Mon May 17, 2010 9:41 pm

Brian wrote:
mariej wrote:I believe there is a God that set the universe in motion and doesn't intervene.

That's the kind of God I could believe in. I think that's pretty reasonable, given the evidence around us. I think such a god would be indifferent to our worship, but it does make some sense to me.
I don't think it would make much sense to worship or pray to such a God for miracles, but I think you can still have admiration and a relationship with such a god. Albert Einstein has some quotes that can sum it up better than me lol.

"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble minds. That deeply emotional conviction of the presence of a superior reasoning power, which is revealed in the incomprehensible universe, forms my idea of God."

"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
mariej

Postby mariej » Mon May 17, 2010 10:51 pm

Linnea wrote:

If I return to any forum after I die then I hope it's a mock like insult forum, it's good fun :lol:
mariej

Postby 24HourNut » Tue May 18, 2010 8:30 am

Brian wrote:
24HourNut wrote:
Brian wrote:Regardless of what exact form the god takes, if there's an afterlife, there's a god.

That's not necessarily true as there are other possibilities including some of which we may not even be able to imagine.

Without a god, who's in charge of the afterlife? Who created the conditions? If it's impossible for us to imagine it, it's not worth considering, is it?

It doesn't necessarily take "God" to have an "afterlife." There may be phases of life, or life cycles, that we just aren't aware of. Unless you want to say it takes "God" to have any life, you can't determine that if you "go on" in any form after "death" that it took a God to do it.
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby 24HourNut » Tue May 18, 2010 8:43 am

Millennium wrote:In religion, believing in God as an insurance policy. If you never need it, fine, but if you do, the premiums better have been paid.

That's an extremely weak, child-like, emotionally fragile principle and reason to make yourself believe something. It seems insulting to think a God would create that kind of a system at all.
24HourNut
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Philosophy