Will we instantly know God exists when we die?

Moderator: Brian

Re: Will we instantly know God exists when we die?

Postby sledge » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:01 am

24HourNut wrote:I don't care who wrote or edited what embellished text or not - no one knows what happens when you die and everyone who pretends to know or thinks they have an idea due to their "faith" is delusional at best.

I take it u don't believe in the bible or God? oh well that's your opinion.
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Postby 24HourNut » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:26 pm

sledge wrote:
24HourNut wrote:I don't care who wrote or edited what embellished text or not - no one knows what happens when you die and everyone who pretends to know or thinks they have an idea due to their "faith" is delusional at best.

I believe it's possible there is a God but there isn't a shred of evidence for it.

As for the Bible being issued or commanded by God, no, of course not. That's ridiculous, unless you want to think things like Jesus condoning slavery was intended. I stopped buying into that BS shortly after I learned that all supernatural claims are BS outside of people's wishful, insecure, child-like wishing heads ... including the Tooth Fairy and Santa Clause. I find it insulting to God, if there is a God, to attribute such petty, embellished, ignorant, and immoral material to It.
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby theia » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:34 pm

24HourNut wrote:
sledge wrote:

I believe it's possible there is a God but there isn't a shred of evidence for it.

As for the Bible being issued or commanded by God, no, of course not. That's ridiculous, unless you want to think things like Jesus condoning slavery was intended. I stopped buying into that BS shortly after I learned that all supernatural claims are BS outside of people's wishful, insecure, child-like wishing heads ... including the Tooth Fairy and Santa Clause. I find it insulting to God, if there is a God, to attribute such petty, embellished, ignorant, and immoral material to It.

What do you mean, Frank :shock:
theia

Postby Linnea » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:38 pm

theia wrote:
24HourNut wrote:
sledge wrote:

What do you mean, Frank :shock:

I think that's right next to Santa Barbara in California. :P
Support mental health care... or I'll kill you.Image
Linnea
Contributor

Postby 24HourNut » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:11 pm

Son of a ... !
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby Brian » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:32 pm

24HourNut wrote:
sledge wrote:

That's actually an interesting question, that I struggle with. What constitutes "evidence". My girlfriend once said to me (a bit accusingly) that the only thing I'd ever accept is a "CSI God", that left tangible, empirical, irrefutable evidence. As I said then, that's not the kind of evidence I would look for. I think if you ever find "evidence" of God that you can measure scientifically, whatever you've found isn't God. Rather, what I would accept is a phenomenon that can't be explained by science and that has to come from a supernatural realm.

The way I think of it is this: If my brother gets up and walks, that's not a miracle. If I get up and walk, now that's, a miracle! :mrgreen:
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby sledge » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:07 am

24HourNut wrote:
sledge wrote:

Well there's no shred of evidence there isn't a God? How about Archaeology and The Dead Sea Scrolls. Before you dismiss God and the Bible do some research into it.
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Postby 24HourNut » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:24 am

Brian wrote:
24HourNut wrote:
sledge wrote:

That's actually an interesting question, that I struggle with. What constitutes "evidence". My girlfriend once said to me (a bit accusingly) that the only thing I'd ever accept is a "CSI God", that left tangible, empirical, irrefutable evidence. As I said then, that's not the kind of evidence I would look for. I think if you ever find "evidence" of God that you can measure scientifically, whatever you've found isn't God. Rather, what I would accept is a phenomenon that can't be explained by science and that has to come from a supernatural realm.

The way I think of it is this: If my brother gets up and walks, that's not a miracle. If I get up and walk, now that's, a miracle! :mrgreen:

We all know real evidence for something when we come across it. It's something that isn't just left to the interpretation of other people, emotions, subjective feelings, etc. You know, the minimum basics for something being valid scientific evidence of some sort.

There isn't a single shred of real evidence for a God. Is there more evidence for multiple Gods, like the ancients preferred? Is there more evidence for Zeus and Poseidon, or the God of Abraham? It's all ridiculous because the only evidence that exists is pathetic at best since it is comprised of things like "I can just feel it" or "All of this, the whole planet, just for us?" or even "it's the only explanation for the Universe my little brain can come up at this time."
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby 24HourNut » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:26 am

sledge wrote:
24HourNut wrote:
sledge wrote:

Well there's no shred of evidence there isn't a God? How about Archaeology and The Dead Sea Scrolls. Before you dismiss God and the Bible do some research into it.

There isn't evidence for a mountain-sized pasta monster, either. Your logic is faulty and doesn't serve to help find anything. Scrolls written by people are not evidence of multiple Gods, or one particular God. I did research - you go research the emotional and psychological reasons why so many humans believe that nonsense.

Zeus is mad you don't honor him.
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby Brian » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:17 am

24HourNut wrote:
Brian wrote:
24HourNut wrote:
sledge wrote:

We all know real evidence for something when we come across it. It's something that isn't just left to the interpretation of other people, emotions, subjective feelings, etc. You know, the minimum basics for something being valid scientific evidence of some sort.

There isn't a single shred of real evidence for a God. Is there more evidence for multiple Gods, like the ancients preferred? Is there more evidence for Zeus and Poseidon, or the God of Abraham? It's all ridiculous because the only evidence that exists is pathetic at best since it is comprised of things like "I can just feel it" or "All of this, the whole planet, just for us?" or even "it's the only explanation for the Universe my little brain can come up at this time."

The problem is that if you take that definition, you can never conclude that there's evidence for God -- ever, because the default assumption, in your scenario, is "Well, I don't know how that happened, but there must be a scientific explanation for it, so that's not evidence for God."

There aren't a lot of phenomenon that science can't explain, but for those phenomenon, the supernatural can't be ruled out.

If you want a good example of just how meager our understanding of the universe is, Google "quantum nonlocality".
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Philosophy