Hello everyone

Greet the forum!

Re: Hello everyone

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:27 pm

I tried to welcome you in Russian, Barmaley, but apparently the SQL database that the software uses doesn't like the Cyrillic alphabet. :)
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Barmaley » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:47 pm

This is true - I tried to answer in Russian and got an error message. Do you speak Russian?
Barmaley

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:50 pm

Barmaley wrote:This is true - I tried to answer in Russian and got an error message. Do you speak Russian?

I don't speak Russian, but I was using Google Translate. :) I have a friend who is in Russia and we use it when we chat on Skype so that we can translate words we don't understand in each language. :)

Brian
Site Admin

Postby Linnea » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:47 am

Barmaley wrote:
I'd be interested to hear you discuss the approach you're taking to a redesigned forum platform. It only takes a single new idea to suddenly spawn a huge communications event - Twitter and Facebook, for example. Are you being innovative in that sense, or are you hoping to improve on an existing structure like the forum software in use here?

First we found that all forums are very much similar - it does not matter if they are PhpBB of VBulletin etc. By design the discussions which they support very much resemble an Asian bazaar there several people speak at the same time, the threads are very rare stay focused and usually end without any conclusion of any sort. There are some solutions to that - for example FG, where mods by constant supervision can "keep the bastards in line". There are several other pet peeves which we often receive in forums. If any of you went on linux forums you may see that the forums are huge and highly inefficient. The same questions are asked and answered over and over again, still the whole thing is very scattered and disorganized.

Our goal was to provide a platform which can address all those issues. Yes, we believe that this thing is going to be a huge communications event. What it suppose to do - to change forums experience, so the whole discussion will be more fruitful.

This appears to be a big undertaking several programmers are working on it several months. We are in the beta stages of this forums. I hope it answers the question :)

So it resembles a real conversation you'd encounter with real people. I can't think of any way to change that or inhibit the natural flow of conversation unless the threads were heavily moderated and I don't know of many people that would tolerate that. If I wanted a focused discussion with a conclusion, I'd read an essay.
Support mental health care... or I'll kill you.Image
Linnea
Contributor

Postby Barmaley » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:56 am

Linnea wrote:
So it resembles a real conversation you'd encounter with real people.

Not really. It rather resembles a room where people brainstorming and they are organized to make sure that their discussion will not turn into empty talk.

Linnea wrote:
I can't think of any way to change that or inhibit the natural flow of conversation unless the threads were heavily moderated and I don't know of many people that would tolerate that.

Great point! If moderators are out we need to look for other solutions

Linnea wrote:
If I wanted a focused discussion with a conclusion, I'd read an essay.

You need to decide what do you want - a focused discussion or an essay - they are different. I would suggest that the discussion which you want you rather label as fruitful and fulfilling than focused, since been focused is just one factor of a good discussion :)
Barmaley

Postby Barmaley » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:08 pm

Brian wrote:
Some had wanted a time limit of as much as an hour, but it was decided that giving too much time to people would potentially threaten the integrity of threads (letting people change their posts in response to someone else's later post, etc.).

BTW, this issue is also addresses in my forums. I guess it is time to make a step up and go to forums 2.0. Current forums are 2D, they have to be 3D to solve many current problems.
Barmaley

Postby Brian » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:05 pm

Barmaley wrote:From: Islam is a newer and a better religion
Brian wrote:
Some had wanted a time limit of as much as an hour, but it was decided that giving too much time to people would potentially threaten the integrity of threads (letting people change their posts in response to someone else's later post, etc.).

BTW, this issue is also addresses in my forums. I guess it is time to make a step up and go to forums 2.0. Current forums are 2D, they have to be 3D to solve many current problems.

I'm curious what you mean by 3D in forums. How would your forum software deal with letting users make edits to their posts after the fact?

Brian
Site Admin

Postby Barmaley » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:58 pm

I'm curious what you mean by 3D in forums.

Instead of thread we use knots as a form of forum structure providing more freedom for the forum progression.

How would your forum software deal with letting users make edits to their posts after the fact?

The knotting structure of the forum allows editing not only your posts but other members posts without discussion logic been broken. However, collaboration is done in a different way as wiki does.
Barmaley

Postby Brian » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm

Barmaley wrote:
I'm curious what you mean by 3D in forums.

Instead of thread we use knots as a form of forum structure providing more freedom for the forum progression.

How would your forum software deal with letting users make edits to their posts after the fact?

The knotting structure of the forum allows editing not only your posts but other members posts without discussion logic been broken. However, collaboration is done in a different way as wiki does.

That sounds really cool, Barmaley. :) I'd love to see it in action. If a database is exported from another forum's software (say, phpbb or vbulletin) is it importable into your software?

Brian
Site Admin

Postby Barmaley » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:07 pm

No, it is too different and incomparable
Barmaley

PreviousNext

Return to Say Hello!