Hello everyone

Greet the forum!

Hello everyone

Postby Barmaley » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:01 pm

I am glad that I found this forum, it looks like it is a friendly congregation of nice people. I wish there were about 200% more members here, I guess it will make the perfect number.

I am a developer of a of a considerately novel type of forums platform, and I am learning different forums and internet communities. Our platform suppose to provide substantially different communication environment, which should result in a much better forum posts quality and a better communication experience.

I am Russian, so my grammar awful, I hope you will be considered to this my deficiency.
Barmaley

Re: Hello everyone

Postby shimmy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:04 pm

Hi and welcome.
shimmy
Global Moderator

Postby spot » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:00 pm

Barmaley wrote:I am a developer of a of a considerately novel type of forums platform, and I am learning different forums and internet communities. Our platform suppose to provide substantially different communication environment, which should result in a much better forum posts quality and a better communication experience.
I'd be interested to hear you discuss the approach you're taking to a redesigned forum platform. It only takes a single new idea to suddenly spawn a huge communications event - Twitter and Facebook, for example. Are you being innovative in that sense, or are you hoping to improve on an existing structure like the forum software in use here?

Successful redesigning can be a one-man task, but it would be a rare programmer who could write the software without extra hands. Do you have a team around you?
Image Pioneer100© Member
spot

Postby Barmaley » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:08 pm

I'd be interested to hear you discuss the approach you're taking to a redesigned forum platform. It only takes a single new idea to suddenly spawn a huge communications event - Twitter and Facebook, for example. Are you being innovative in that sense, or are you hoping to improve on an existing structure like the forum software in use here?

First we found that all forums are very much similar - it does not matter if they are PhpBB of VBulletin etc. By design the discussions which they support very much resemble an Asian bazaar there several people speak at the same time, the threads are very rare stay focused and usually end without any conclusion of any sort. There are some solutions to that - for example FG, where mods by constant supervision can "keep the bastards in line". There are several other pet peeves which we often receive in forums. If any of you went on linux forums you may see that the forums are huge and highly inefficient. The same questions are asked and answered over and over again, still the whole thing is very scattered and disorganized.

Our goal was to provide a platform which can address all those issues. Yes, we believe that this thing is going to be a huge communications event. What it suppose to do - to change forums experience, so the whole discussion will be more fruitful.

This appears to be a big undertaking several programmers are working on it several months. We are in the beta stages of this forums. I hope it answers the question :)
Barmaley

Postby spot » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:27 pm

Are you beta-testing with a single forum, or is the beta software available for potential administrators to install on their own server?
Image Pioneer100© Member
spot

Postby Barmaley » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:32 pm

we are beta testing it on our server :)
Barmaley

Postby Boba » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:40 pm

Hey Barmaley,
Welcome to our own little slice of the net! Yes, there are many larger fourms out there, but this is more personel. That's what I like. I would like to see a few more members, specially from foreign lands, but I like getting to know the people I'm talking to. I am interested in what your log in name is all about? I hope you stick around as every Russian I have personally met has been fun to talk to and share experiences with. Believe it or not, English is my first language, yet I manage to fuck up the spelling on a regular basis, so don't feel bad.

Welcome to the forum and feel free to stop by my forums and throw your thoughts in!!

It's all good!
Boba
Contributor

Postby Barmaley » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:46 pm

Boba wrote:Hey Barmaley,
I am interested in what your log in name is all about?
It's all good!

Barmaley is a fictitious character from a Russian well known children book. I just found an image of Barmaley in google images and will try to make an avatar for me
Barmaley

Postby Barmaley » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:49 pm

Do you guys know how to get this picture as my avatar?
http://detbook.ru/wp-content/uploads/20 ... 20x541.jpg
Barmaley

Postby spot » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:00 pm

You could try this until someone makes a cleaner version

Barmaley-Avatar.jpg
Barmaley-Avatar.jpg (7.44 KiB) Viewed 3351 times
Image Pioneer100© Member
spot

Next

Return to Say Hello!