Some-times they get their own back....

International Issues.

Some-times they get their own back....

Postby MADNOTBAD » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:27 pm

Since my Father began taking me National Hunt horse-racing as a very small child, my over-whelming passion In life has been the national Hunt horse racing.
I have witnessed many a bizzare sight at race meetings around the country Including Jockeys Ruby Walsh and AP McCoy taking Kauto Star and Denman to show them the jumps they would be about to take.
I have always believed the horses know exactly what's happening and this short video proves my point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E-gsvG1XwI

There Is nothing more annoying than a smug winning jockey and there Is none so annoying and smug as Her Majesty The Queen's jockey Paddy Brennan. In this Instance the horse agreed with the crowd.
MADNOTBAD

Re: Some-times they get their own back....

Postby 23hourfruitcake » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:37 am

I remember you posting a photograph of each jockey on Kauto and Denman taking them to look at the fences they were about to jump before the race started. I find that quite strange and ask, is that normal practice Mad?
23hourfruitcake

Re: Some-times they get their own back....

Postby MADNOTBAD » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:52 am

23hourfruitcake wrote:I remember you posting a photograph of each jockey on Kauto and Denman taking them to look at the fences they were about to jump before the race started. I find that quite strange and ask, is that normal practice Mad?

Very often.

I believe it goes back to the 1967 Grand National there-after nick named 'Disaster at the 23 rd' and the most horrific pile up In National Hunt horse-racing.

'Foinavon' was an un-known Irish Challenger placed at 100/1, In fact his owner, Cyril Watkins was not even at Aintree on the day to watch him. A loose horse called 'Popham Down un-seated his rider at the first fence but like many, continued on riderless, veering dramatically to his right at the 23rd fence, slamming into Rutherfords and unseating his Jockey Johnny Leech. A pile-up ensued. Rondetto, Norther, Kirtle Lad, Princeful, Leedsy and other horses hit the ground, then began running up and down the fence preventing others from jumping it, and bringing the race effectively to a halt. Some horses even began running in the wrong direction, back the way they had come. There was absolute chaos but the horses who were way behind the fallers believed that there was danger on the other side of the 23rd and refused to jump bringing the entire field down. Foinavon was so far behind that he just walked the distance to the line and won.

Since that day, It's believed that horses sense danger so accutely that this Is the reason they refuse to take fences or Un-seat their Jockey's. Showing them the fences before the race and letting them see what Is on the other side of them may avoid another disaster.
This Is why, for example, In this Grand National, the horses were diverted around the fences where two horses lay dead.
MADNOTBAD

Return to Mad's British View